Hacking Drive not recognized?

Daak

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My HDD isnt recognized by the wii-u. Its a 2.5 250gb WD Scorpio Black inside a non powered usb 3.0 enclosure. I tried all the ports. I tried using with a Y-adapter and without. I tried NTSC and Fat32 formats. The light comes on the drive but nothing happens in the wii-u menu. The drive also works fine on my PC. Could the wii-u be formatting it without any notification?

Pokezuculento

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My HDD isnt recognized by the wii-u. Its a 2.5 250gb WD Scorpio Black inside a non powered usb 3.0 enclosure. I tried all the ports. I tried using with a Y-adapter and without. I tried NTSC and Fat32 formats. The light comes on the drive but nothing happens in the wii-u menu. The drive also works fine on my PC. Could the wii-u be formatting it without any notification?
How you connect to the Wii U and to the PC? USB? USB Y (2 USBs)? A converter from hard drive to USB?

Daak

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How you connect to the Wii U and to the PC? USB? USB Y (2 USBs)? A converter from hard drive to USB?

I'm not sure I understand you. It doesnt work with a single cable or the Y cable. The Y cable is 2 male on 1 end. 1 female on the other. Then another short male to male cable to connect to HDD.

Pokezuculento

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure I understand you. It doesnt work with a single cable or the Y cable. The Y cable is 2 male on 1 end. 1 female on the other. Then another short male to male cable to connect to HDD.
Try to go to System Settings > Data Management > Format USB Drive, and try to format the drive

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are you using the drive for? Wii U games or v Wii? If you're trying to use it for Wii U USB games you have to let the Wii U format it. On its own the Wii U will not recognize a fat32 or ntfs drive. It has to format it to a proprietary format that only the Wii U can read

wicksand420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Western Digital drives come with software for locking, and if you install this software to the drive when you get it, it can't be removed, and you can't use your hdd on wiiu, I have a Western Digital My Passport drive and it has the software installed on it and it wont work on my wiiu either.

Pokezuculento

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are you using the drive for? Wii U games or v Wii? If you're trying to use it for Wii U USB games you have to let the Wii U format it. On its own the Wii U will not recognize a fat32 or ntfs drive. It has to format it to a proprietary format that only the Wii U can read
Western Digital drives come with software for locking, and if you install this software to the drive when you get it, it can't be removed, and you can't use your hdd on wiiu, I have a Western Digital My Passport drive and it has the software installed on it and it wont work on my wiiu either.
He can try to format the drive in FAT32 and use Mocha

Daak

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was both of the non-powered 2.5 enclosures I tried using. I dont think the wii-U liked my Y cable. I put the drive in a powered enclosure and it worked fine. However, I really want to use some kind of auto-on solution. Either a to get a verified working enclosure/Y cable. Or, a drive that turns on/off automatically when the wii-u is turned on. Any ideas on that?

Daak

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got a new "Y cable" and it still didnt work. There seems to be 2 Y-cable designs: one where the twin USB end is spliced and another type that has two full length cables coming out of the single USB end. Ive only tried the spliced cable type but am looking for the other type. Anyone have an auto power on/off solution for a 2.5 inch drive? I need to know the type of drive/enclosure/cables.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.