Drift Mania Hacking

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Ben., Aug 1, 2009.

Aug 1, 2009

Drift Mania Hacking by Ben. at 8:08 PM (4,379 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. Ben.
    OP

Member Ben. GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Yes although this is mostly theoretical, custom course should be possible providing we can learn more about the mdl0 model format. It has come to my attention upon unpacking the WAD for Drift Mania the game uses standard brres archives found in 00000002.app to hold the course data. For example the tracktitle.brres when extracted will reveal models / textures and animations. The tracktitle holds the titlescreen of the game which is just one big 3D model. I have found that this can be used using early versions of Kentilans (I think his name was) model viewer designed for nights. No mdl0 converter I have come across has yet worked for me. Even if I managed this it seems you cannot yet convert back. Finally there isn't yet a brres repacker either. The Mario Kart SZS modifier has limited brres archive support. The saving currently doesn't work well but after consulting the creator of the application it looks like he is set to fix/support brres repacking. So this leaves me in the current situation, if we are going to make custom courses we need to somehow convert the mdl0 models (Quite common format in wii games) into a more usable format eg. 3ds, obj. Then we have to edit the tracks themselves in a 3d modeller (The fun bit) and finally convert them back to mdl0 which sadly nobody has figured out how.

Heres what I have figured, if it is possible to view these mdl0 models. why isn't it possible to convert them? I think it would be a brilliant addition to the wii hacking community so we can make custom tracks/cars and edit other games.

So with the wait for Chadderz (SZS modifier programmer) to release an update with improved/fixed brres repacking the only left problems faced are the mdl0 models.

So please, if someone can figure it out... PLEASE PLEASE get a working mdl0 converter, the viewer I use does contain the source code - check Kentilans model viewer.

Want to get to these files yourself?
    Tools you will need:
    SSBExtract - Extracts files from Brres archives.
    U8 tool: extracts/repacks .app archives
    Wadder/Wwpacker/Some form of wadunpacker/repacker
    Kentilans model viewer (Might be a little harder to find, so heres a link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9F181MWP V1.2 is the latest one that worked for me, NOTE: You need to change the file to any file type when opening a file)

So there we go folks, if we can just get a ml0 converter and a brres repacker (brres repacker is in the works) then we might be able to make custom tracks.

[​IMG]

2. B-Blue

Member B-Blue im a slut

good job, Dave.

3. illinialex24

Member illinialex24 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    You can go .mdl0 to .dae (which works in blender or 3ds Max 2009 with Collada plugin) and pharrox is working on a .dae to .mdl0 converter os he can repack the files.

And there already is a .mdl0 to .dae converter, at least for Brawl but it should work elsewhere I guess.

I used the Williams converter to extract them, works like a charm.

4. Ben.
    OP

United Kingdom

The williams converter fails for me, what setup are you running? And could you possibly give me a sample mdl0 that works with the williams converter?

5. _eyCaRambA_

Member _eyCaRambA_ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    pharrox brres to dae converter is working for a few files for me only.
    But I think we would need a repacking tool for brres oO

6. Ben.
    OP

United Kingdom
    There is a brres repacker now. [​IMG] It has a couple of problems but does work and it is still being worked on. The SZS modifier now will open brres archives and save them.

7. Dominesonic

Newcomer Dominesonic Newbie

Brazil
    Any progress?

8. mayhem366

Member mayhem366 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    This will be amazing when this is possible. I have also failed at converting the mld0 files to dae. This sucks as custom tracks would be an awesome addition to an awesome game.

9. Dominesonic

Newcomer Dominesonic Newbie

Brazil
    Any progress everybody?