Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so Nintendo havent announced another Mario platformer, and well why should they seeing NSMB was only out a year ago and still shifting loads of copies but you know I'm bored of the same Pokemon threads so how about a little discussion on what you would like to see in a future Mario DS title...'cos like its erm...fun?

So this is what I'd like to see:
2D gameplay, but 3D water levels cell shaded to fit the 2D style.

A different graphic style, 2D sprites but not like Mario 3 or Mario World but a different design that looks pretty damn nice and pushes DS hardware.

Perhaps some nice shoot-em-up levels like Mario Land.

The return of Koopas children, cant stand Koopa Jr, lets have Iggy, Lemmy and co back!

Instead of a power up to help you fly, how about a new wing creature like Yoshi, but not a dino? Or how about no power ups at all (apart from the mushroom) and just have a series of creatures with different abilities.

More variety in worlds instead of the same ones we've had recently.

New enemies, sure keep the koopa troopers and Goombas, but how about some new ones?

And lastly, how about a Mario Bros wi-fi bonus game but this time with Yoshi's and other creatures and with bigger levels.

Feel free to critise me if you think its a crap and unoriginal thread.
wink2.gif

spokenrope

c7
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to see some sort of a followup or port of SMRPG, actually.

But you know what bothered me about NSMB? If you jumped off of a wall, you had a brief moment where you couldn't control your character. I don't know if anybody else noticed this, but it drove me crazy. It was like, you had to jump a certain distance away from the wall before you regained control of mario. For a game that originally advertised its "play control" this seemed like a step backward to me, and I'd like to see it fixed.

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'd love to see a 2D Mario platformer that is completely touchscreen controlled. Kind of like Kirby Canvas Curse but with less rolling and more jumping and running. I think that could be very awesome if done right.

Some ideas for controlling:
Tap right of Mario - start running right
Tap left of Mario - start running left
Tap Mario - make him stop
Touch Mario for a longer time and keep touching him - make him jump
L or R Trigger - shoot fireball
Frantic stylus movements left or right of Mario - run in that direction (only for a limited time)

The bottom screen could displayed a view zoomed in on Mario, the top screen would present a zoomed out (normal) view, where you can see where you are going.

jimmy j

Awesome for hire.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I know this isn't a platformer, but...
Super Mario Paintball (First Person Shooter)
I'm a huge fps fan and being able to pop a cap in bowzer's ass would be magic
biggrin.gif

Characters
Character roster similar to mario kart.
Each character has their own strengths and weaknesses - bowzer can take more hits, yoshi can float-jump etc.
(toad can absorb less hits, but he's a small target so it balances out).

Gameplay
You start off normal size with 3 blocks of health.
Each hit takes away one healthblock (tip: You will be invincible, but unable to fire, for 5 seconds after being hit)
Lose all healthblocks and you shrink to mini size (like in the 2D marios).
A mini character is a harder target, but will die instantly if shot or even stepped on.

Pick-ups
Mushrooms (normal size character, full health) - Make you bigger. You can absorb 3 extra hits before shrinking back.
Mushrooms (normal size character, partial health) - restore one block of health.
Mushrooms (mini character) - restore you to normal size with one block of health. You will be invincible for 5 seconds after pick-up, but unable to fire your weapon (stops you getting hit and shrinking just after collecting a mushroom).
Star - invincibility. Firepower is unaffected, but touching someone will kill them instantly (RUN AWAAAY!!!)
Green Shell - surf on it at super-speed (like in mario64). Run over someone to stun them.
Red Shell - works like a homing missile (tip: jump onto a box or block to avoid a red shell. But be warned - boxes will break when hit)
Triple Red Shell -
laugh.gif

Weapons
Just your paintgun and 3 paint-filled balloons but...

Weapon Mods
Weapon mods change the way your paintgun fires.
A mod is stored after pick-up and can be activated with a single button-press.
Mod Types
Sniper - (obviously)
Hose - fire a jet of paint. Hit an enemy to injure him and also push him around (like a firehose would do)
(tip1: Corner an enemy and hose him down to completely deplete his health)
(tip2: the hose can keep invincible foes at bay)
Rapidfire - self explanatory
(still thinking about weapons list really)
Note:
Only one mod can be stored at any one time.
An activated weapon mod can be discarded at any time (returning your paintgun to standard fire)
Each Weapon Mod has a single ammo clip that cannot be replenished. The mod de-activates when the ammo clip is empty

Gameplay Extras
Mini characters are small enough to access secret rooms/routes throughout the level
Levels are littered with pipes. Go down one to warp to another pipe on the level
Levels are home to numerous NPC characters like bob-ombs, snappy-plants and those 'chained-up-cannonball-with-teeth'
Most NPCs will stun you, but some will damage your healthblocks
Each NPC has a distinctive effect on gameplay eg. snappys will block certain routes and bob-ombs will chase you (note: try not to walk into a mole-field)

I'd like to see some sort of a followup or port of SMRPG, actually.

But you know what bothered me about NSMB? If you jumped off of a wall, you had a brief moment where you couldn't control your character. I don't know if anybody else noticed this, but it drove me crazy. It was like, you had to jump a certain distance away from the wall before you regained control of mario. For a game that originally advertised its "play control" this seemed like a step backward to me, and I'd like to see it fixed.
Removing it would have a profound effect on gameplay - it stops you from scaling walls like in megaman

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jimmy j: Although it was platformer, that was a nice post, nice and detailed!

Don't see it happening though, but it would be nice if Nintendo did a game like that.

jimmy j

Awesome for hire.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm pleased you liked it
smile.gif

It's unlikely, but If nintendo did release it (without ripping me off of course) I honestly reckon it they could sculpt it into a leading franchise like they have with mario kart.

Imagine using the wii-mote to aim and the nunchuck for movement

*snip*
How about no power ups at all (apart from the mushroom) and just have a series of creatures with different abilities.
That could make an interesting mario game, but it would have to be a spin-off like yoshi's island. Mario's Creature Quest or something. Sounds good

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah I would prefer it to be like a proper new Mario game, I'd like it to play like Super Mario. Would love it if Miyamoto did a new platformer for the DS once he's done with Galaxy. I know he over saw Mario 64 DS and NSMB but I want him to actually create it.

strummer12

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
NSMB played too much like the original. I'd the new one to be like SMB3 where you have different costumes (FLYING) and huge worlds packed with secrets. That was in NSMB, but it felt off for some reason.

skullstatue

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always enjoy 3-D Mario games over 2-D. I don't know what they could put on the DS, I mean really. An Italian plumber who lives with mushroom people and eats mushrooms to get stronger? Finish it off with a giant turtle with spikes on his back as the bad guy (don't forget the long-tounged dinosaurs). There's just no telling what they might pull out of the crack hat.

Intruder

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
Actually I didn't quite enjoy Super Mario DS just because it was 3-D.If in the future they find a way to implement the 3-D world into the DS system without controling problems then...ok!

tshu

On epic journey, brb.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For the love of God, bring back the Raccoon Tail! No more of these crappy capes, and wing caps.

And also, having the Koopa Kids from Mario 3 return would be amazing. Hell, a full on sequel to Mario 3 is severely needed. Everything about that game was awesome. The big boot. The tanooki suit. The frog suit. The item selection during the map screen.

And I think if they took the 2D/3D idea from NSMB but switched it around, it would be better. 2D pixal art sprites in a sort of 3D world (still side scrolling though) would look nicer, in my opinion. Either that, or all 2D. And no rendered sprites either. Full on hand drawn pixel sprites.

Oh, and did I mention they should bring back the raccoon tail? Ya do that too.
wink.gif

mario_2.gif

I mean, come on, how cool is that? Bring it back!

Oh, and also. Yoshi. 'Nuff said.

NDSkid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
double-screen gameplay (yoshis Island DS) & technical moves ala Drill Dozer (GBA) use of the LR buttons

more 2d platformers! i hate using the stupid stylus during gameplay

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
yeah all sounds good to me, some great ideas in there.

I think Nintendo would be working on a new Mario Platformer after NSMB and the success it had. They've remade almost every Mario game that would be a good port for NDS and GBA so i think the next step would be a brand new mario game like NSMB but hopefully with some new elements and ideas.

Nintendo love to remake games till they're perfect and i think they've run out of things they can do to improve past Mario games. The next logical step would be a platformer like NSMB but with some new gameplay and ideas. Considering NSMB was their first step into 3D platforming the next game should have much more work put into levels and gameplay since they don't have to worry about writing a new 3D engine. Hopefully we'll see an announcement by the end of the year.

Then again they might just remake Mario 3
unsure.gif

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get a feeling that they'll do NSMB 2 and it would be a game like SMB2, which I did enjoy but boy would it annoy a lot of people. Saying that it would sell millions anyway so its not like it'll be a bad idea for them if NSMB3 would come out after anyway.

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's hard to pick a favorite mario... but i'd have to go with super mario 64.
I dont really consider that as a proper Mario game, its a classic but its a different game. Would love it if Nintendo did a 3D Mario that was actually a 3D Mario game (like SMB 1-3 and SML & SMW) instead of having to play the same levels over again and completing missions.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, The Russians are after you lol.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Send me your ip I'll remotely fix it
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 my head needs fixing if I believe you
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's kinda fun watching it happen tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It needs fixing for other things but your pc I can fix
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    over 300+ virus/trojians/worms after scanning, what did I do to deserve this attention lol
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    tho I find it funny when i receive other people's pc/laptops in this state
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i wont be upgrading unless I cant run the games i want anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spill water on it good excuse
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 that's like a valid option if someone else is paying for ya
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Daddy's wallet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ngl hogwarts legacy has good pooping music
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    That's uh-
    That's certainly a Dairy Queen sign lmao
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You should see his help wanted signs
    Ugh, so many sweat-dipwads in Sploon 3 Anarchy mode tonight
    I didn't know this was "Make Octo never finish Fresh Season 2024 Catalog in Splatoon 3" month, good god
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of "confirming" games you know will get released. Like Nintendo "confirming" a Zelda sequel. "We can't be sure Nintendo is working on a new Zelda game, or if a new Zelda game will ever be released, until they officially confirm it."
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "There is literally no way to know if they will ever release a new Zelda game, it's wild speculation until they officially confirm it."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Black ops was the lesser shitter line in cock a poopoo tbf just a way to let people know it hasn't died or going a different route I guess
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $70 DLC per 6 months is what it turned into
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/R28ZSY2Sc2A?si=H5Lb6PNkzMhAHO_P