1. Jensen27

Jensen27 Newbie
    Newcomer

Uruguay
    The 3ds is 400p on both eyes on the upper screen and 320p on the lower screen. Don´t know where the 240p comes from.
    Like 240p would look like a GBA... when clearly the 3ds is way more powerfull than the PS2.

Just because you don´t own a 3ds doesn´t mean that you have to shit all over it. That´s stupid. You are defending a consumption item by shitting on another consuption item. Nobody cares what you choose to waste your money on. The same goes for the guy that you are responding to.

The PC version is fine... i suppose. I´ll get that, because is the only one i can play. But the 3ds version looked the better, plus it would have completed the Dragon Quest collection for DS-3DS.
    The port will most likely be terrible, but i´m sure my PC can deal with that. A 3ds fan translation will come out eventually, so i´ll probably replay it on the handheld.

2. dib

dib GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Leave it to Square..

The game is _already done_ on 3DS. It's not like people are asking for a new version. And it's being made into english, so they already spent the money on voice actors and script writers. All the needed to was plug one into the other, then sell it.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  3. duelistjp

duelistjp Member
    Newcomer

United States
    this would be a day 1 purchase probably on both 3ds and pc. now i'm pirating. would't have been so bad if they had the switch done now but no. portable is the best way to handle dq.

4. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi GBAtemp Official Lolimaster

Chile
    maybe he doesn't, but I do own a 3ds (three to be precise, regular, xl and new non-xl) and its indeed 240p. if you don't know what the p's mean is not his fault.
    and no, the 3ds isn't more powerful than a ps2, not even the new 3ds. the more clear evidence is the terrible performance of the warriors series on 3ds compared to the ps2 silky smooth 60fps.

anyways... the 3ds is a dying console, it only makes sense if se can't be bothered to localize that version of the game.

Subtle Demise and Steena like this.
  5. Dante2405

Dante2405 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Dying 3DS or not, it doesn't make any sense to disappoint gamers and loose a fair amount of easy money.

6. m_babble

m_babble Elder Phantom

United States
    This is seriously so disappointing.
    They really made it seem like it was coming to the Switch in 2017, now it's likely 2019. AND they've cancelled the 3DS version?
    I hope someone is working on a translation.
    Square Enix's lack of faith in a western fanbase for Dragon Quest is as disappointing as Nintendo's for Mother.

7. chirogan

chirogan The Engineer

Philippines
    Well i dont see a point why graphics is an issue. Nintendo products has reputation for lower graphics. (Aka Switch). If you know what i mean. A good game is a good game. Im sure there are much more deeper reason behind these. As if 720P is a standard in 2018. 1080P moving to 4K is the standard. Hell theyre trying 4k as a default resolution for all their games in the coming years, but them downgrading to 720P, reducing heavily the graphics pack. Cutting the game contents and removing features. Lower fps.

Yet. No angry fans or dissapointed comments to be seen. I can even see *well at least i can play it in the toilet* reasons. Even cheap mobile phones in the market has HD screens now.

SUMMARY: Don't Use resolution or graphics as excuse.

Last edited by chirogan, Mar 29, 2018
  8. Ryupower

Ryupower Brood

United States
    For the 3ds version to happen in the west, Nintendo might need to help(as a Publisher) like they did with DQVI, DQVII, DQVIII, and DQIX

Last edited by Ryupower, Mar 29, 2018
  9. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.
    Global Moderator

United States
    On the bright side - an official PC translation could make it very easy to put out a fan translation patch for the 3DS version.

Subtle Demise, DarthDub and chirogan like this.
  10. Steena

Steena GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Italy
    I have a 3ds, why exactly did you instantly assume I don't have it because I criticize it? That instant fanboy mentality. It is technically a shit system that had shipped already as an outdated product and has the worst gimmick of nintendo's history save for the virtual boy. The PSP has a higher internal resolution than the 3DS, and that was a full generation behind.
    The 3ds screens are 240p. DS is 192p. GBA is 160p. You dont pick the bigger number of the screen size then add a "p" to it to make your argument convenient, that's not how it works i'm afraid. You don't even double the number by counting both eyes, that's hilarious. Besides your complete ignorance on this point whilst attempting to call others ignorant, even assuming it were 360p (which it is not), that still makes it a dog shit resolution for 2018 when sub-100$ devices are now as a bare 720p minimum and they are everywhere.

No the 3ds is not more powerful than a PS2, every single PS2 port needed to be massively downgraded visually and they still run at a lower framerate despite the downgrade. From MGS3 to tales of the abyss all the games received a drastic downgrade in textures, framerate, sharpness view distance, polycount, real time rendered animations and effects. On top of that, the PS2 ALSO renders at a higher resolution than a 3ds, so yeah, it's much more powerful, there isn't even room to argue. Ironically, even your beloved DQ series has had VIII visually downgraded with its 3ds port from the PS2.

No the 3DS version of DQXI does not look better than the ancient handheld version. You have to be a comedian to make this statement. Here is a random screen comparison with an enlarged version to match the levels of internal resolution of the home version screenshot.

I know you have to be blind to think the 3DS is a good system on the technical side, or even a mediocre one, so your point of view is skewed, but at least use google to factcheck before letting the wild fanboyism take control over you.

Attached Files:

Last edited by Steena, Mar 30, 2018
    Subtle Demise and DarthDub like this.
  11. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

United States
    Don't get why they can't do eshop only for 3DS..

m_babble likes this.
  12. Ulieq

Ulieq GBAtemp Fan

United States
    PC FTW now I don't need to ever think of buying a switch.

13. targren

targren Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Considering the track record of Squeenix's PC ports, I don't think the GPCMR should celebrate *too* hard just yet.

14. chirogan

chirogan The Engineer

Philippines
    With this series of events, i have a huge hunch that they are slightly giving up on the 3ds now. With the 3ds cracked wide open. I cant blame nintendo for choosing these decisions.

15. DJPlace

DJPlace the hater of something i can't recall.

United States
    is this the MMO one or is that DQ X?

16. Nisem0n0

Nisem0n0 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    That's dq x, this is the latest entry to the series

DJPlace likes this.
  17. DJPlace

DJPlace the hater of something i can't recall.

United States
    yeah i thought this was different...

18. TokyoDoll

TokyoDoll GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    Because it's made by the Japanese idiot.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - western, release, Dragon