Dracula X Chronicles - Worth the Time?

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by Nathan Drake, Jun 5, 2011.

Jun 5, 2011
  1. Nathan Drake
    OP

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    I'm in the mood for a Castlevania game, don't feel like going too terribly old school, but I've played the DS installations to completion more than once.

I've never played Rondo of Blood or Symphony of the Night (never got the chance or had the cash), so it seems great to have them both there. What doesn't seem so great is the stashed away items that you have to work and toil to find just to get your hands on the original 2D RoB and SotN.

Just gonna ask straight up: Is this game as a whole worth my time?

2. Ergo

Member Ergo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Yes, it is absolutely worth your time. Get it. Now.

3. Blaze163

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    Buy it, don't download it. Every ISO I've ever had of the damn thing has been about as quick as a snail superglued to an anvil at the bottom the ocean. It's worth it though. Rondo of Blood is a great classic style Castlevania game whether you're playing the original 2D version of the 2.5D remake (the main game). Symphony of the Night is actually not that difficult to unlock, in all fairness. Level 3, easy to spot tomb on the upper path, whip, collect icon, profit. There's a chance you can miss it if you foul up the jump too many times but just kill yourself, restart the room and try again. Easy. Well worth the effort. There's a damn good reason why SOTN is widely considered to be the best Castlevania game, and the father of all MetroidVania games.

And if you're REALLY struggling to unlock SOTN just buy it off PSN. Either way it's worth it.

4. DarkShinigami

Member DarkShinigami #1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI

United States
    sorry for you dood i've had it a few times and not once has it been slow as hell

one iso had the music ripped from original rhondo of blood and Symphony of the Night

5. Blaze163

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    Huh. Well if there's a decent quality ISO out there that doesn't slow down, then steal away. Then tell me where you found it.

6. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    Yes it's worth the buy. I am trying to buy a PSP just to play it
    Hey this is my first post in the PSP section...nothing special.

7. DarkShinigami

United States
    i would but ya know rules but my hint is the sites name starts with psp

oh and welcome AGLCB to the psp section

8. koimayeul

Member koimayeul GBAtemp Maniac

France
    honestly, worth it ONLY for the originals especially Symphony of the Night

Rondo of Blood is too old school and really, really, REALLY frustrating game
    calculate your jump and hit, all that.. die.. back to the start.. okay a game is played for relaxing and entertainment
    not to get frustrated and pissed off
    the game design is great though its really too harsh, and the remake in 2.5D lack in design to my taste, original is way better

well here is my opinion on this game, for your advice [​IMG]

EDIT : about Symphony.. best.. castlevania.. EVER! next to Super Castlevania IV snes in my heart, followed closely by aria / dawn of sorrow .. and i kinda like the second one on ps2

9. Nathan Drake
    OP

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    Well, I'm going for it. I've been pretty good about taking the more difficult parts of Castlevania games in stride before, so hopefully I have no issues with RoB.

As I job hunt this summer, I'm making a list of games for the PSP that are being bought (on top of a brand new 3000 series that I will update legit to stay on top of things). Once I get that job, I'm gonna make it a point to buy a couple of PSP games each pay check until I sufficiently build a great collection.

Hopefully this game makes the list.

10. DarkShinigami

United States
    dont worry the game'll make the list its a great hard as balls game

11. FireEmblemGuy

Member FireEmblemGuy Finally hit 1000 posts

United States
    This was the only PSP game I bought other than the ones that came with the PSP I bought; I've flat-out pirated everything but that and Disgaea 2 DLC. This is probably the only game I'd do that for, too, although I'm seriously considering picking up an actual Persona 3 Portable UMD when I have cash again.

As for the ISO debate, I've even dumped it off of my own scratch-free disc, and it was ridiculously slow on loading, even with the clock speeds turned up to 333mhz. If you can stand the loud UMD drive, go for the disc version rather than pirating it. I got it for $8 at GameStop, with case and manual.

12. relminator

Member relminator GBAtemp Fan

Philippines

For me the extra unlockable(SOTN) is better than the original. Not that I didn't enjoy the 2.5D installment but SOTN just roxxors. Though I kinda like Castlevania OOE DS better.

There are differences(minimal) from the original PSX SOTN though. Most of them good and about the only thing I didn't like in the updated version is that they "colorized" my favorite attack weapon Yasutsuna.

13. Jolan

Member Jolan Unlimited Bear Works

Bulgaria
    Ah, Dracula x Chronicles.
    I remember getting stuck on level 5' and giving up.
    That game was so hardcore.

14. themuddaload

Member themuddaload Creepin' hardcore.

United States
    I honestly found it lackluster, but I prefer the rpg explore and get new items type castlevanias to the older whip ones.

Biggest redeeming quality IMO was that it has SOTN on it... >_>