Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Dracula-Undead-Awakening_PSP-Minisboxart_160w.jpg

Yet another game where you have to stop Dracula and his army of hideous creatures, you say? Well, not exactly. You can leave your wooden stakes and your garlic at home, because in this game, you use shooting weapons like a machine gun, crossbow, flamethrower, BFG (wait... what?) and many more. The arcade way. (I shamelessly stole part of this intro from the French ONM. I know what you're going to say. Don't.
nyanya.gif
)

This review was written entirely (except for the screenshots) using Moonshell2's text editor and not checked for spelling mistakes afterwards, so excuse me if there are some
tongue.gif

Menus: Just like the old arcade games, Dracula doesn't have complicated menus. It's basically just Play -> Select stage, Sound options, High scores, Credits. As you can see, it's very similar to old games. 10/10

Loading times: Great, because there are none!
biggrin.gif
10/10

Story: There is none. To make the game look more like an arcade game. Which is good, because who'd want to read a story when you can spend your time destroying horde after horde of enemies with a bunch of different guns?
biggrin.gif

Gameplay: You run around with the D-pad or the analog nub, you shoot with the face buttons (the direction you shoot depends on the button you press, eg if you press the X button you'll shoot downwards, if you press the O button you shoot to the right, and so on). Switching weapons is done automatically when you get a new one, otherwise you can use the shoulder buttons. Sometimes enemies drop things, these can be: money, weapons, ammo, potions, Omen (used to determine your rank, the more Omen you have, the higher your rank). There's 4 modes and 3 levels, but except for different monsters or higher difficulty, they're basically the same: destroy monsters until you die.
yay.gif
9.5/10

Graphics: Very basic, but not bad. The effect of (a) crossbow arrow(s) is neat, but that's all. The characters look good, but not great. Then again that might be done on purpose for the arcade feeling, but I'm not sure. 8/10

Music: I can be short about this: there's only two (2!) different tracks in the game; one for the main menu and one in-game. They're quite long (and mostly good), but because every session in the game is usually quite long too, you'll hear them again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again. But the SFX of the guns combined with the splatter sounds of the enemies being destroyed definitely make up for the severe lack of music. Also, in a way that adds to the 'arcade' feeling of the game too. But IMHO, there should've been at least a couple more tracks, even if it were just rearrangings of the first two. 7/10

Replay value: See below. 9/10

Overall: Dracula - Undead Awakening is a fine little time-waster. It's the kind of game you play when you don't really know what to play anymore, then it keeps you clustered for hours. And it's only 9.5 MB. 8.5/10

Screenies: (Various sources)

dracula_psp_minis_2.png

Shooting monsters.

playstation-minis-review-roundup-20100129050339131.jpg

Shooting more monsters.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After 5 minutes I got bored and played better games in this genre like Stardust Portable.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
How does it compare to the Chaos Engine? That's what i thought of when i saw it first (although strictly speaking this is SmashTV on drugs)

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xist said:
How does it compare to the Chaos Engine? That's what i thought of when i saw it first (although strictly speaking this is SmashTV on drugs)
Very different game, its pretty much the same thing over and over only it gets slightly harder with more enemies being added with each wave. Its more akin to Robotron: 2084.

Chaos Engine has structure, there are other things to do than shoot like do the odd puzzle and explore. Even Smash TV has more variety than this game.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
All versions are technically the same, except maybe the controls would be different.

BTW, what's Chaos Engine? I've never heard of it...

@Hadrian: it's a PSP Mini, it's not supposed to have a lot of variety. IMO, that is.

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Overlord Nadrian said:
@Hadrian: it's a PSP Mini, it's not supposed to have a lot of variety. IMO, that is.
And yet there are games that do.

Chaos Engine is an awesome Amiga game. Its also on SNES/Mega Drive but I never play those ones.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Gaydrian said:
Overlord Nadrian said:

Chaos Engine is an awesome Amiga game. Its also on SNES/Mega Drive but I never play those ones.
Wow, late reply is ultra late
tongue.gif

I know there's games that DO offer more variety, but not a lot.

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Overlord Nadrian said:
Gaydrian said:
Overlord Nadrian said:

tongue.gif

Sorry my hate for you prevented the reply somewhat.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Gaydrian said:
Overlord Nadrian said:
Gaydrian said:
Overlord Nadrian said:

tongue.gif

Sorry my hate for you prevented the reply somewhat.
Ah, I see, I've seen many others with those symptoms, too.

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
This game is really similar to Age of Zombies, just that Age of Zombies has cartoony graphics, but still fun. People who enjoy this should check that out too.
yay.gif

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Raika said:
This game is really similar to Age of Zombies, just that Age of Zombies has cartoony graphics, but still fun. People who enjoy this should check that out too.
yay.gif
I found that to be more fun and slightly more varied.

The best of these "multidirectional twinstick shooter" for me is Super Stardust & Everyday Shooter. While I'm not a fan of thise game its the best game ever compared to Terminator PSP Mini game. For some reason that costs the same on PSP and yet on iPhone its 49p.

Nadrian is Justin Bieber in realife by the way.

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xcdjy said:
Anyway, back OT... can someone tell me if PSP minis are exclusive to PSP Go or not?
I don't own a PSP Go and I can play them so no. If they were exclusive to PSP Go no one would make them anymore.

You can get them for PS3 too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Nobody is reading what you post.