Downgrading

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by RhythmCat, Jan 5, 2016.

1. RhythmCat
    OP

RhythmCat GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2016
    United States
    So apparently, you can now downgrade from 10.3 to 9.2 however I need some tips.
    Should I downgrade? I actually want to play my favorite 3DS games. (I am not that desperate really... well , kind of. :3)
    Is there a huge chance of bricking? I double check everything I am doing usually. :P
    If anyone could guide me, that would be great. ^_^

2. Arab

Arab Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 26, 2011
    United States
    Well wither or not you choose to downgrade a majority of this forum says you shouldn't. I mean there are two posts on the first page saying dont do it.

3. RhythmCat
    OP

RhythmCat GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2016
    United States
    Yeah but there are also people who think that KMT is a huge piece of (BEEP, censoring :3).

4. Arab

Arab Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 26, 2011
    United States
    Hmm? Really? Dunno since I just got here. Again if you decide to do it go for it. Nobody is responsible if you brink you 3ds/n3ds

5. williamdabastrd

williamdabastrd GBAtemp Regular

Apr 10, 2010
    United States
    Ohio
    There are numerous guides, and both the search feature and Google will turn up results in the first few links... Just search "downgrade Nintendo 3DS". The catch-all tutorial thread also has instructions.

6. RhythmCat
    OP

RhythmCat GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2016
    United States
    I know how to search for tutorials already but I need some advices whether I should downgrade or not. A few cons and pros maybe. :P

7. williamdabastrd

williamdabastrd GBAtemp Regular

Apr 10, 2010
    United States
    Ohio
    The tutorials outline most of it, but...

PROS:
    • Improved support for homebrew.
    • Theoretically gaining support for emuNAND.
    • The ability to install CIA files.
    CONS:
    • You can turn your console into a paperweight.
    • If you don't know what you are doing you can potentially be unable to play online.
    • The software is untested so any number of weird bugs.

8. Ar7ific1al

Ar7ific1al GBAtemp Regular

Jul 12, 2009
    United States
    Short answer: DO. NOT. DOWNGRADE.

Long answer:
    Plenty of users have successfully downgraded with current, and even previous, builds of the sysUpdater app. However that does not mean, in any way shape or form, that you will have success. Users who have followed instructions and obtained the correct update pack have still bricked. You know that saying, "mileage may vary"? Well... your milage may vary. Even if you follow instructions, you still have a moderate brick chance. Note "moderate" not "small."
    You and everyone else should avoid downgrading like it's the plague, for now.

If you want pros and cons...

Pros
    • Can downgrade to completely exploitable firmware
    • Piracy, if that's your thing (sounds like it is unfortunately)
    • Wider array of possibilities and available apps
    • Potential for further development all the time
    Cons

• Moderate risk of bricking
    • Not guaranteed to work even if you follow instructions
    • May freeze, error, etc. at various steps during the process, increasing brick risk
    • May have to recover several times before getting it to work (like I did; 8 recoveries)
    • Application doesn't always load
    • Application doesn't work reliably with each entrypoint
    • Some entrypoints won't work at all (eg. browserhax, in my experience)
    • 10.x is not likely to have any significant developments very soon from the new kernel exploit
    If the few pros are worth risking it, by all means, go ahead; but don't get upset if you wind up bricking your 3DS. There are more than enough warnings floating around. In fact, you have to go out of your way to ignore the warnings. Don't ignore the warnings.

MattKimura and Mrrraou like this.
  9. RhythmCat
    OP

RhythmCat GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2016
    United States
    Yup, I am really confused. It's like poisoned chocolate and I have to choose whether I want to eat it or not. :c

10. MichMaster

MichMaster #Pray4Hykem

Dec 23, 2009
    Canada
    In the IOSU
    Why can't people just wait a little bit? It won't kill you

imthe666st and Damon_girl like this.
  11. RhythmCat
    OP

RhythmCat GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2016
    United States
    Uh, I can wait actually. ouo
    I am just asking for some advices, that's all, really.

12. MichMaster

MichMaster #Pray4Hykem

Dec 23, 2009
    Canada
    In the IOSU
    I'd say don't risk it yet, people who said it's safe, don't give a crap about others

13. RhythmCat
    OP

RhythmCat GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2016
    United States
    Yup, you guys convinced me. I won't downgrade yet. ^_^

14. ChaosRipple

ChaosRipple GBAtemp Regular

Oct 1, 2015
    United States
    There was an updated version of the sysupdater (created by steveice10 and released by julian20) about 2 days ago. That version of the sysupdater does the following things:
    • Removes the title right before its respective update.
    • Updates the safe mode on your system first.
    • Updates the system titles second.
    • Updates the Native Firm last.
    Those are all a bunch of safety measures that will lower the chances of your system bricking. By removing the title right before it updates, you are sure to still have every other title on your system since either they weren't removed (yet) or they have already been installed. Updating safe mode on your system first allows you to still run your system and re-attempt to downgrade if there is a crash during this step. Updating the system titles afterwards will allow you to boot into safe mode (since it's already updated) if there is a crash during this step. Updating the Native Firm last makes sure everything else is downgraded before the Native Firm, lowering the chances the system won't turn on.

From the looks of it, these measures already prevent a hard brick and if anything happens, it is more than likely a soft brick. Now, I can't guarantee any hard bricks may not happen because who knows what can happen (such as downloading O3DS CIAs instead of N3DS CIAs and vice versa). Just know that if you attempt to downgrade, it is your choice, your responsibility and your fault if your system is no longer working after downgrading.

Also, one main thing most people don't know is that booting into safe/recovery mode is a bit difficult. If you turn on the 3DS and then press L + R + Dpad Up + A buttons all together, it will more than likely not work because it would require precise timing (from my experience at least). Therefore, it is suggested that you are already holding these four buttons before turning on the 3DS to ensure you will get into recovery mode. Good luck on your decision!

EDIT:
    One more thing people don't realize is that if Nintendo releases any update, you will only have one attempt at downgrading your system. If that one attempt succeeds, you are good to go but if that attempt fails and you are soft-bricked, you will be forced to update to the latest and probably patched version and therefore, will be unable to downgrade your system.

Last edited by ChaosRipple, Jan 5, 2016
    cynosura, MattKimura and TuxSH like this.
  15. Ar7ific1al

Ar7ific1al GBAtemp Regular

Jul 12, 2009
    United States
    I'm not so sure that the majority of reported bricks aren't just semi-bricks. I was convinced my system was gone when I first tried; turns out I wasn't doing it right. Held the buttons before turning on and it booted into recovery mode no problem. One user even seems to think it's like entering a cheat code with buttons where you have to press the buttons one at a time in a certain order...

Gotta love the amount of misinformation that gets thrown around. :/

16. ChaosRipple

ChaosRipple GBAtemp Regular

Oct 1, 2015
    United States
    Lol! That's quite funny. I personally do believe most of the bricks are just soft bricks and people don't exactly know how to get into safe/recovery mode correctly.

17. Seriel

Seriel Worshipper of Skiddos

Aug 18, 2015
    United Kingdom
    /home/erisa/
    My personal opinion:
    Just.. update.

The magority of issues give a softbrick, recovery mode, no problem.
    It will work if you don't be stupid and follow the guide.

Ziefer846 likes this.
  18. Ziefer846

Ziefer846 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 22, 2015
    United States
    If you know what you are doing and you are on a O3DS, then go for it. If not, then just wait for a more stable release.

19. DutchyDutch

DutchyDutch COPYRIGHT LOLOLOLOL

Nov 16, 2014
    Netherlands
    Why O3DS?

20. Seriel

Seriel Worshipper of Skiddos

Aug 18, 2015
    United Kingdom
    /home/erisa/
    Downgrade is unstable on N3DS.