Downgrading O3DS XL

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Aroth, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Aroth
    OP

Aroth GBAtemp Addict

Apr 14, 2015
    United States
    If I were to downgrade my O3DS XL, what all would I lose?

Currently it is on 9.4 and hasn't been touched in favor of my N3DS XL on 9.0 that i use with Gateway.

Ideally I would like to get the saves and other data off my my old 3DS (a few eshop games, some demos, streetpass stuff, etc), but I am concerned that using a hardmod to downgrade it would make that data unusable.

For that matter is it even possible to downgrade at all (using something like the packages from Gateway?) without a preexisting NAND backup on an exploitable firmware?

2. teege

teege Member

Newcomer
    Oct 13, 2012
    United States
    It has to be on 9.2 or lower to downgrade with the GW method. I'm not positive, but I think the same goes for the hardmod downgrade.

Does anyone know if there is any hope of a new downgrade method for higher FWs in the near future? Or should I just sell my O3DS and buy a N3DS with 9.2? I got Cubic Ninja a long time ago for like $6 and I want CFW.

3. Aroth
    OP

Aroth GBAtemp Addict

Apr 14, 2015
    United States
    I know with a hardmod you CAN downgrade from a higher firmware since you are effectively writing over the old NAND, which is why i think it requires a NAND backed up from the console in question, which sucks.

EDIT:

Ok so since downgrading is not an option, are their any tools that would let me recover the data I am looking for? Assuming I am willing to hardmod the console to dump the NAND?

Last edited by Aroth, Aug 25, 2015