Downgrading my PS3 Slim (CECH-2501A, Oct. 2010) from 4.55 to 3.55 OFW?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by THEacekardFREAK1, May 6, 2014.

1. THEacekardFREAK1
    OP

THEacekardFREAK1 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 24, 2010
    United States
    Cali of all fornias
    Hello gbatempers, I have to come to ask if my PS3 can be downgraded from OFW 4.55 -> 3.55. According to wololo.net, my system is downgradeable. What can I use to downgrade from 4.55? I've read many things saying I need an E3 Flasher and apparently those are mighty expensive and if there is any other way without needing it or soldering then please tell me. If there isn't, please guide me to a cheaper E3 Flasher (Or one that works similarly), thanks.

2. gunner007

gunner007 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    There's a tool floating around here that when run from the flash drive tells you the min FW version you can install on your console. Certain 2500 series are too far beyond the date. If you can install 3.55 or lower, than you're fine. E3 Flasher is the only way, though they have clips for connecting to the chips. In all honesty though, if you only plan on doing yours, you can probably find someone on Craigslist who can do it for you for a decent price.

E3's run anywhere from $75 on up. Also involves a bit of taking the unit apart, getting dumps, patching dumps and flashing back. Never skip any steps.

3. lenselijer

lenselijer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 27, 2006
    Netherlands
    Just get the E3 Flasher Simple Edition, it's perfect if you only want to downgrade, and its cheaper :)

4. THEacekardFREAK1
    OP

Newcomer
    Mar 24, 2010
    United States
    Cali of all fornias
    What's the difference between the Simple Edition and the other ones?

5. naughty_cat

naughty_cat GBAtemp Regular

Dec 19, 2013
    Egypt
    I was actually wondering about the difference between different E3 flashers. I found one that is rather cheap on modship central:

http://www.modchipcentral.com/store/E3-Nor-Flasher-Downgrader-USA-CANADA.html

Would this one do the job, or do I need something additional to perform a solder-less installation? For example, I also found this E3 Flasher suit, which according to the description lets you perform a solderles installation: http://www.modchipcentral.com/store/E3-Flasher-NOR-Clip-Suit-USA-CANADA.html

Do I need to buy that as well? And is there any other type of hardware that I need to buy??

6. THEacekardFREAK1
    OP

Newcomer
    Mar 24, 2010
    United States
    Cali of all fornias
    Reading the description on the second one shows that it is just a spare part which is already included in the first one. And as far as I know E3 flashers are solderless but still require a lot of unscrewing and taking things apart.