Hacking Downgrading 11.3 EmuNand?

bross30

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
So I haven't been following the scene closely and I foolishly updated my emunand this morning.

Instant black screen when trying to boot into emunand.

Any tips on how to downgrade my emunand or am I better off just deleting my emunand partition on the SD card and updating to 11.2 manually?

I do have a full backup of my SD card from a few days ago so if I just restore that should it work? Or does the emunand overwrite the on board memory of the 3ds ;_;

I see that gateway haven't responded for 5 weeks even though they said they'd have to delay by 2 weeks.
And reading around gateway seem to steal code so if no one else overcomes the exploits they are stuck also...

Anyway thanks for the help :)

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Whatever CFW you are running, either update or stop using it.
If you are running RXTools or Gateway, stop using them. 11.3 added a NATIVE_FIRM requirement to the homemenu, locking out any NATIVE_FIRM below 11.3 from working. Both Gateway and and RXTools are based on older NATIVE_FIRM and thus result in a black screen. So you will need to replace them with a new CFW.

If you are running an older build of a CFW, simply update to the latest version of that CFW. These can also act as a replacement for RXTools
Luma3DS: Stable: Here Nightly: Here
ReiNAND: Here
CakesFW: Here

The only other way to downgrade would to be use your NAND backup from before 11.3. You can't use another person's NAND backup.

Last edited by The Catboy,

bross30

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Thanks for the reply!

Will downgrading with my NAND backup wipe the emunand clean? I can then retrieve the files for 11.2 and upgrade manually right?

Or if I install that Luma CFW on my 9.2 ofw it'd be worth it wouldn't it?

bross30

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Gateway has an option to Format the EmuNand. If I do that it should bring me to 4.5 right? Then I can just use sysUpdater.cia to upgrade to 11.2 again?
Will this plan work haha. Or should I man up and take the plunge with LumaCFW?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutoria...s-full-menuhax-rednand-autoboot-setup.432499/

That's the guide I think I'm going to follow. Is there a better one out there?

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Thanks for the reply!

Will downgrading with my NAND backup wipe the emunand clean? I can then retrieve the files for 11.2 and upgrade manually right?

Or if I install that Luma CFW on my 9.2 ofw it'd be worth it wouldn't it?
You can completely replace your CFW with a new CFW and continue to use the same emuNAND. So Luma3DS can continue to use the same emuNAND that you were using before and work with 11.3
Do not run a CFW on your sysNAND if you aren't running A9LH. Flashing a previous NAND will flash it be in the same state as the NAND backup. So if you flash say a 9.2 NAND backup to your emuNAND, it will be the same as that 9.2. Any games that was present on that NAND backup will be there any games you had on your 11.3 NAND will be on the SD card, but not accessible.
I highly suggest switching to another CFW over restoring a NAND backup. It's less hassle and won't cause you to loose anything.
That guide is good for keeping with MenuHAX. Personally I suggest upgrading to A9LH with this guide
https://3ds.guide

bross30

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Thanks bro, I'll give it a shot. I do have all my stuff backed up so I probably won't lose anything by formatting emuNAND, updating to 11.2 with sysUpdater and then copying my SDCard across as it was a few days ago.

I'll try to get A9LH working first and will only do my method as a last resort :).
Thanks for the help I'll let you know how it goes.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Thanks bro, I'll give it a shot. I do have all my stuff backed up so I probably won't lose anything by formatting emuNAND, updating to 11.2 with sysUpdater and then copying my SDCard across as it was a few days ago.

I'll try to get A9LH working first and will only do my method as a last resort :).
Thanks for the help I'll let you know how it goes.
I really want to stress not downgrading your emuNAND and upgrading like that. It's more time consuming when switching to another CFW takes like 5 minutes.

bross30

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I'm about halfway done fam, longest part is downloading the 2.1.0 ctrl transfer thing which is 800mb lol With neanderthal australian internet that's about half an hour to download lol

everything else is going smoothly though :D

bross30

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Alright so I think I figured out something sneaky with the new update 11.3.

I tried booting to gateway with a gateway launcher in the Luma payload. Doing some science lol. Now I think it wiped my entire setup and I'm stuck on OFW 11.3.

Shiiiieeet. I've tried holding select for luma config. Nothing. I've tried booting into hourglass by holding start... Nothing.

Gooood lordy lawd.

Do you have anything I can try or do I just use my sister's New3DS plus card ;_;

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Don't use Gateway3DS
It's been well known since the release of 11.3 that it added a NATIVE_FIRM requirement to the homemenu. Meaning you can't boot into anything using an older NATIVE_FIRM (gateway/rxtools.)
Also gg, you fucked up. Gateway3DS lacks FIRM0/1 protection, if you updated the sysNAND with Gateway3DS, you just wiped out your install. The only way to restore it is to have a hardmod setup to restore the NAND backup you made during the A9LH install. Or using this method
gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-inject-dsiwarehax-to-restore-nand-after-you-lost-arm9loaderhax-because-of-an-update.463807/
There is no easy way around this one.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
When I try to click on my installed Luma or thingo updater it just removes itself on reboot. I think my 3ds is trap in 11.3 space now ;_; Gateway strikes again I suppose...
I am going to be honest with you, this has been common knowledge since the 11.3 release. We used to get like 3 threads a day from people removing their A9LH thanks to Gateway's lacks of FIRM0/1 protection. Honestly I am shocked people forgot that Gateway3DS lacks that extremely important feature.

https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/wiki/gateway_a9lh
I followed that guide ;_; feel pretty stooped hahaha
Please don't follow random guides and reddit guides are just as bad as Youtube guides
That guide is not only older, but also lacks a ton of extremely important information. Like not mentioning the Gateway 3DS lacks FIRM0/1 protection and not to update your sysNAND when running it. That is super important information that it should have added

bross30

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Yeah lol Just got greedy I suppose. It's a sky3ds card so she doesn't have custom firmware lol I went in not knowing a thing about FIRM0/1 protection.

Oh well bois gg. Someone explain DSiWareHax to me though. Is that a viable method of downgrading again?

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yeah lol Just got greedy I suppose. It's a sky3ds card so she doesn't have custom firmware lol I went in not knowing a thing about FIRM0/1 protection.

Oh well bois gg. Someone explain DSiWareHax to me though. Is that a viable method of downgrading again?
Refer to this thread
You do need that NAND backup made during the A9LH install for this method to work. If you do not have that NAND backup, you are shit out of luck.
Also I really suggest doing some more research into the CFW scene. As you can see, lack of knowledge can be dangerous
This is my guide that explains all the current CFW and their features in simple English
http://gbatemp.net/threads/faq-what-cfw-is-best-for-me.428509/

Last edited by The Catboy,

el_gonz87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

With a NAND backup yes you can downgrade from 11.3 CFW.

I'll see if I can find one of Plailects old guides so that you know what to do.

Basically you will need to purchase a DSiWare game on the CFW 3DS and inject some files. Then you will do a system transfer. Then you will launch a DSiWare game on OFW 3DS and it will load an exploit that allows you to read/write to NAND similar to what a hardmod would do.

bross30

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I don't think I have CFW on either 3DS at this stage though lol Might just have to go to Sky3DS+ like the filthy casual I am haha

I have a NAND backup of both my 9.2 and 11.3 emunand. Problem is getting it on the dang thing lol
Sky3DS might suit my needs though and I can just give it to a mate if they ever crack 11.3 like they cracked 11.2 :P

Refer to this thread
You do need that NAND backup made during the A9LH install for this method to work. If you do not have that NAND backup, you are shit out of luck.
Also I really suggest doing some more research into the CFW scene. As you can see, lack of knowledge can be dangerous
This is my guide that explains all the current CFW and their features in simple English
http://gbatemp.net/threads/faq-what-cfw-is-best-for-me.428509/

Cheers. Yeah lol today I just started blindly following guides. I was so happy with the success of the guide you linked me that I launched straight into trying to get gateway to work on my emu nand again lol. I'll keep checking back to see if the scene catches up to nintendo so I can fix my mistakes ;) Thanks for your help mate lol sorry about the outcome. I swung your guide explaining current CFW a like <3

Reactions: CrispyCola

bross30

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Okay lads reviving this thread because I've splurged and bought myself a N3DS and hacked it. Original plan was to get it sent to a service that will hardmod my O3DS for 60 dollaries.

DsiWareHax

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Will DsiWareHax work? What would be the best guide to do so. Most guides I've seen suggest 11.2 lol might just not be updated for 11.3 tho :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: