Hacking Downgraded from 9.9 to 9.2 and I CANT

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
After seeing 3 threads on this section of GBATemp with this case I can pretty much assume downgrading on 9.9 will not downgrade the browser.

Which browser version should it be on 9.2? I downgraded both my O3DS and N3DSXL from 9.9, I didn't use BrowserHax though, but I wanna see if it did not downgrade my browser as well.

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which browser version should it be on 9.2? I downgraded both my O3DS and N3DSXL from 9.9, I didn't use BrowserHax though, but I wanna see if it did not downgrade my browser as well.
You'll know if it forces you to update if you try to use it. If you have an alternative entrypoint into HBL then this shouldn't be too big of a deal, but you might as well fix it before Nintendo puts up 10.4 if you truly want it.

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
You'll know if it forces you to update if you try to use it. If you have an alternative entrypoint into HBL then this shouldn't be too big of a deal, but you might as well fix it before Nintendo puts up 10.4 if you truly want it.
Are you saying it should prompt me to update my system upon opening the browser? Cause the browser works on both my O3DS and N3DSXL, both downgraded from 9.9.0-26E.

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you saying it should prompt me to update my system upon opening the browser? Cause the browser works on both my O3DS and N3DSXL, both downgraded from 9.9.0-26E.
Yeah it should, unless you have Youtube DNS set up or something, then you won't see it.

If you still don't see it after YouTube DNS, then you'll have debunked my theory about 9.9 never downgrading the browser.

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah it should, unless you have Youtube DNS set up or something, then you won't see it.

If you still don't see it after YouTube DNS, then you'll have debunked my theory about 9.9 never downgrading the browser.
No TubeHax DNS set. I did notice now though, that the browser crashes upon closing it. Menuhax tries to load there for some reason :S If I hold R at this frozen screen it eventually kicks me out to the home screen again and says "An error has occurred. Save your data and restart the system" (doesn't force me to restart or anything though)
The browser version on my O3DS says "1.7567" and "1.0.9934" on the N3DSXL.
Edit: I think the browser was still successfully downgraded, the freezing is caused by MenuHax, since holding my bypass button (R) lets it exit properly. Not sure if it's supposed to load upon exiting the browser though, but oh well.

Last edited by Shadowfied,

hamstrman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, speaking of downgrading, how do I get back my up-to-date 10.3 unaltered O3DS? Is it easy? I've decided against going through with the process. I heard that playing SKY with CFW installed will get me banned, so I want to make sure it's GONE.

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, speaking of downgrading, how do I get back my up-to-date 10.3 unaltered O3DS? Is it easy? I've decided against going through with the process. I heard that playing SKY with CFW installed will get me banned, so I want to make sure it's GONE.
Have you unlinked NANDs yet? By which I mean, have you already formatted EmuNAND and then formatted SysNAND?

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
Slow down.
Can you please explain what you're talking about? Who told you that you could get banned? As long as you're using your own headers, the chance of getting banned is not gonna be higher or lower with or without CFW.

Reactions: hamstrman

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slow down.
Can you please explain what you're talking about? Who told you that you could get banned? As long as you're using your own headers, the chance of getting banned is not gonna be higher or lower with or without CFW.
I have to agree with Shadowfied here. The chances of you being banned are slim to none, and Nintendo hasn't done anything about it since 4.x anyway.

Yes. How facked am I?
You're not "facked" at all. I would recommend staying on CFW so you have the option to keep using legitimate games while still having access to unsigned programs... But if I can't stop you, then whatever.

Take your oldest NAND.bin backup (must be dumped from that particular 3DS) and put it on the root named NAND.bin. Go to gateway launcher (Launch GW.3dsx through HBL with Launcher.dat on root) and press A while holding Up on Downgrade Console to flash your NAND.bin to SysNAND.

Anything else lingering on your SD card should be uninstalled via DevMenu or FBI in pasta mode on sysnand, but you don't really need to do that if you don't want to: Nintendo can't really see that.

Rattor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Playing online with a Sky cart can get you banned with or without CFW. If you get a ROM from online somewhere, then many other people are also using the same dump, which includes a header in the ROM. When Nintendo detects multiple people playing a game with the same header, they know it was a ROM dump, and you can get banned. CFW doesn't increase your chances of this and in fact makes it easier to get around the header checks.

Reactions: Shadowfied

shaneod

Trophies
XP
Country
CIA files don't even have headers. Sky3ds uses 3ds files, which have public headers.
CFW is safer than Sky3ds. Less than a handful of people have been banned for playing CIA games online over the last few months from what I've heard.

hamstrman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to agree with Shadowfied here. The chances of you being banned are slim to none, and Nintendo hasn't done anything about it since 4.x anyway.

You're not "facked" at all. I would recommend staying on CFW so you have the option to keep using legitimate games while still having access to unsigned programs... But if I can't stop you, then whatever.

Take your oldest NAND.bin backup (must be dumped from that particular 3DS) and put it on the root named NAND.bin. Go to gateway launcher (Launch GW.3dsx through HBL with Launcher.dat on root) and press A while holding Up on Downgrade Console to flash your NAND.bin to SysNAND.

Anything else lingering on your SD card should be uninstalled via DevMenu or FBI in pasta mode on sysnand, but you don't really need to do that if you don't want to: Nintendo can't really see that.

Playing online with a Sky cart can get you banned with or without CFW. If you get a ROM from online somewhere, then many other people are also using the same dump, which includes a header in the ROM. When Nintendo detects multiple people playing a game with the same header, they know it was a ROM dump, and you can get banned. CFW doesn't increase your chances of this and in fact makes it easier to get around the header checks.

I know. I have a private header from when I previously had SKY. After the first 7 hours of trying to get me CFW and finding out there were at least 3 more, I kind of gave up. It's not worth it. And I'm hoping to revert back myself, but given that this was all done for me, I'm kind of clueless.

And I used a different SD card from the one I had before I did CFW so my game save data and stuff is still saved.

I'll try my best to follow your instructions. I haven't heard back from the person who was helping me which is why I'm looking for help. Thanks so much!

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
I know. I have a private header from when I previously had SKY. After the first 7 hours of trying to get me CFW and finding out there were at least 3 more, I kind of gave up. It's not worth it. And I'm hoping to revert back myself, but given that this was all done for me, I'm kind of clueless.

And I used a different SD card from the one I had before I did CFW so my game save data and stuff is still saved.

I'll try my best to follow your instructions. I haven't heard back from the person who was helping me which is why I'm looking for help. Thanks so much!
Just to "comfort" you, CFW isn't as hard as it sounds and seems. It looks intimidating when you look at forums like gbatemp cause there are so fucking many guides and versions etc.

Reactions: hamstrman

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CIA files don't even have headers. Sky3ds uses 3ds files, which have public headers.
CFW is safer than Sky3ds. Less than a handful of people have been banned for playing CIA games online over the last few months from what I've heard.
Well actually CIA files use the 3DS' header, meaning Nintendo can see a single system has all of those games, then also see they never bought 90% of them from eShop.

If you ask me, I think that sets as many red flags as a public header... But Nintendo hasn't really done anything about this the entire time we've had CFW, so I don't think it's really a big deal.

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
Well actually CIA files use the 3DS' header, meaning Nintendo can see a single system has all of those games, then also see they never bought 90% of them from eShop.

If you ask me, I think that sets as many red flags as a public header... But Nintendo hasn't really done anything about this the entire time we've had CFW, so I don't think it's really a big deal.
That's very interesting, especially considering I've never even heard of anyone getting banned for CIAs but a lot of talk about Sky users getting banned.

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's very interesting, especially considering I've never even heard of anyone getting banned for CIAs but a lot of talk about Sky users getting banned.
I'm willing to bet it's harder to catch multiple instances of that one header across several games, then also compare them to that 3DS' eShop purchases. The 3DS would also have to be tied to a specific NNID (I think?)

... As compared to a public rom community literally giving out the header to ban.

EDIT: Now that I type this, I guess I retract what I said about "sets as many red flags as" because it's technically harder to catch, assuming what I just said in this post is accurate.

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm willing to bet it's harder to catch multiple instances of that one header across several games, then also compare them to that 3DS' eShop purchases. The 3DS would also have to be tied to a specific NNID (I think?)

... As compared to a public rom community literally giving out the header to ban.

EDIT: Now that I type this, I guess I retract what I said about "sets as many red flags as" because it's technically harder to catch, assuming what I just said in this post is accurate.
Yeah, makes sense. Although, it sounds so stupid by Nintendo to not have an automated system for this. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that they're not banning like crazy, but it sounds so silly that every once a blue moon they go ban one or a few users rather than just checking "header active in multiple apps"

Reactions: CrispyYoshi

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, makes sense. Although, it sounds so stupid by Nintendo to not have an automated system for this. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that they're not banning like crazy, but it sounds so silly that every once a blue moon they go ban one or a few users rather than just checking "header active in multiple apps"
Yeah, it's definitely strange, and I'm not really sure why they chose to ban the users they did... Bingo night at HQ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: old men discussion