Hacking Downgrade vs. Hardware-Mod

Go with downgrade or with fun little hardware-mod?

• Total voters

lukas_2511

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
So there are currently two ways to get into Gateway stuff, downgrading to 4.5 and using the profile exploit, or using the webbrowser exploit that requires an accesspoint.

Now i'm thinking about if I want to live with the savegame crypto (and maybe other?) problems and go with the downgrade, or do a kinda easy hardware mod.

Idea is to build an esp8266 module (image attached) into my 3DS-XL. There should be more than enough room, and the only thing I need would be a 3.3V point that can deliver up to 50mA (100mA bursts) for a short time (module would go to sleep after a while, so it doesn't drain the 3DS battery).
The esp8266 basically is a super cheap and tiny wifi module with integrated microcontroller, and I already got an http server with accesspoint working on it, and already got gateway launched that way. So the only thing I need to do this is basically some information on where I can get enough power (@3.3V) inside the 3DS-XL (ideally always on, even in standby, but not if device is powered off completely).

Also i'd be interested if you think this is a nice idea, so I created a little poll for you to vote ;)

And please don't ask why I don't use $app, or carry something else with me, I kinda want my 3DS to be a dedicated device...

Edit: I've now actually done the hardware mod, see my post with picture here

Attachments

• IMG_0948.JPG
    IMG_0948.JPG
    888.6 KB · Views: 2,919

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So basicallly, this topic is about whether or not to downgrade to use an easier exploit but lose out on current game saves vs using the latest exploit, the hassle, and keep current gamesaves.

I don't need to downgrade nor have to worry about encrypted gamesaves or converting them. I would rather be on the latest and now fumble around with a downgrade. I'm not sure what that microcontroller is for so you might have to explain what its use will do inside the 3ds.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tony the microcontroller is running a web server and broadcasting wifi to run the exploit.

How will it wake up from standby? Just on a power on?

I think it is a really cool idea. With one big BUT. Rumor, has it the exploit will change and not be web based. Who knows if this will just be for the N3DS or not and how long it will take. There are jap N3DS released with 8.1 and don't have a browser installed. GW has said they will support this.

The big question is how much will this cost? Can you sell the chip programmed to users for $20 or do the mod for $40? You may have a nice side business. Could bundle it with the nand hardware mod as well. It sounds like you have the skills.

lukas_2511

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'm not sure what that microcontroller is for so you might have to explain what its use will do inside the 3ds.

Not sure if i wasn't clear enough: This device creates an Wireless AccessPoint that hosts something like go.gateway-3ds.com, without any internet connection, and always ready when powering on the 3ds, so you don't need to do anything else than press the Internet Browser icon on the 3ds to access gateway, even if not at home, and no internet anywhere near. Also since there is never a connection to the internet you can't accidently update the 3ds over this connection.

Reactions: mvmiranda

lukas_2511

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
How will it wake up from standby? Just on a power on?

I think it is a really cool idea. With one big BUT. Rumor, has it the exploit will change and not be web based. Who knows if this will just be for the N3DS or not and how long it will take. There are jap N3DS released with 8.1 and don't have a browser installed. GW has said they will support this.

The big question is how much will this cost? Can you sell the chip programmed to users for $20 or do the mod for $40? You may have a nice side business. Could bundle it with the nand hardware mod as well. It sounds like you have the skills.

Yea the moment you power on the 3ds it would power on the device, and it will instantly start broadcasting it's SSID, and stop after a few minutes or the moment the last file for the exploit is loaded from the webserver. Is really like "Power on -> press internet browser icon -> gateway" and that everywhere. If you accidently leave gateway mode you'd just need to power off the 3ds and power it on again, and it would be ready again. No actual connection to anything than power on the 3ds itself.

Well, I don't know if the "BUT" is that big, it's a very easy mod, and easy to remove, as it just needs two wires for power, not even a connection to the outside, even the nand mod is a lot more complicated, and I've done that without any problems ;)

I don't want to sell it, the chip itself can be bought for around 5$, to program it you need a UART adapter that costs around 2$, and the software is free (I'm using esp-httpd).

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if i wasn't clear enough: This device creates an Wireless AccessPoint that hosts something like go.gateway-3ds.com, without any internet connection, and always ready when powering on the 3ds, so you don't need to do anything else than press the Internet Browser icon on the 3ds to access gateway, even if not at home, and no internet anywhere near. Also since there is never a connection to the internet you can't accidently update the 3ds over this connection.

But you have to take into consideration the amount of people willing to try this, and that warning signs will have to be noted because if someone fucks up there motherboard ( and it can happen, see Cobra ODE design ) then shit will just get worst for the enduser. It does sound like a good idea but have you tested outside the 3ds before looking for that 3.3v?

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is an awesome idea as long as the 3DS can support the power requirements. Of course if GW does release a different exploit then this may be kind of useless after that.

Reactions: mvmiranda

ka_kui

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
but why do you need this? already are various ways and app in android to do this, in fact i made a mobile server in my android phone 2 days after gateway release :/

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but why do you need this? already are various ways and app in android to do this, in fact i made a mobile server in my android phone 2 days after gateway release :/

The idea is to make it a self contained solution not reliant on a second piece of hardware/software to make use of the web exploit, hence his dilemma of downgrading or doing this hardware mod. It's annoying to me having to start up my hotspot and configure a wifi connection each time it starts up, and afraid of having an update downloaded to sysnand on accident. This would take all of those issues away.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Iphone users don't have that ability, I requested this and was told that its in progress but there seems to be an issue with the Apple Store legal fees, or something like that.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Because everyone has an android, right? Oh, no they don't. So other methods are worth looking into.

I don't know that I'd use this one, though. Nice idea, but hardware mods are scary. And power drain... But I like the ingenuity behind the idea.

ka_kui

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Because everyone has an android, right? Oh, no they don't. So other methods are worth looking into.

I don't know that I'd use this one, though. Nice idea, but hardware mods are scary. And power drain... But I like the ingenuity behind the idea.

i think is easier and safer to have a cheap android phone than this right?

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lukas clearly has the skills and sounds like a fun hobbiest project. If you don't have an android phone that you carry around it would really be a PIA to get one, keep it charged and carry yet another device around with you.

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...So the only thing I need to do this is basically some information on where I can get enough power (@3.3V) inside the 3DS-XL (ideally always on, even in standby, but not if device is powered off completely)...

Check out this: http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Gamecards

The cartridge slot on any DS/DSi/3DS/etc has 3.3v VCC on Pin 8.
Considering how sleep mode works mid-game I assume pin 8 is always powered as long as system isn't fully powered off.

The real question is, can a retail cart and/or gateway share power with your esp8266 and cause a malfunction or damage anything.

I would be VERY interested in the results of your testing.

Good luck!

lukas_2511

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
in another thread, I saw someone post a Wifi-SDCard. the 3DS can connect to it and the card serves the exploit page.
it's maybe easier (no soldering needed), but wifi might always be enabled and draining battery.

yea i like that idea too, but those cards are quite expensive, and the cards aren't really at the high end of possible speed, so i didn't want to take a closer look. but definitively a nice solution for people without hardware skills.

edit:

oh yea and of course it will drain the battery ;)
mh, guess i'll look at the pins of the sdcard slot too, they are kinda hard to get to (battery connector next to it) but if it provides enough power for the wifi sdcards my little wifi module should work too.

lukas_2511

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

it's safer, kinda, in a hardware-way, yes. and it's easier to set up, but in the long run it could get quite annoying to toggle wifi hotspot on devices every time. also i don't own an android phone. i've written a little iOS app that kinda works, a bit, sometimes, but it's just so much more complicated than pressing the "power" button on the 3ds and the AP just appearing by pure magic ;)

Reactions: ka_kui

lukas_2511

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
[...]
The cartridge slot on any DS/DSi/3DS/etc has 3.3v VCC on Pin 8.
Considering how sleep mode works mid-game I assume pin 8 is always powered as long as system isn't fully powered off.
[...]

Since the gamecards only contain data and not memory that has to be kept active I don't think they really need to be powered in sleepmode, but i'll take a look at that! thanks for the idea.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N-3vv4kzdk