gamecaptor

R.I.P. Densetsu. Legends never die!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all,

Quick question. A friend of mine updated his Wii from 4.2 to 4.3 (even though I told him not too!).

Here is the question, I had made a NAND backup when I first soft-moded his Wii and I am able to boot the Wii into BootMii, so is it safe to do a NAND restore?

Could this brick his Wii? Should I just use IndianaPWNS and mod the 4.3 OS?

Regards

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There are 2 versions of bootmii, bootmii as an ios, and bootmii as boot2. If your bootmii is installed as boot2, than you will be able to run it just by turning the wii on with the bootmii sd card in it, however if you only have bootmii as an IOS, than to start it you have to load it with the homebrew channel or priiloader, or some other program. So basically:
boot2 = starts when you turn on your wii
IOS = needs to be started with some other app

So, if you want to restore the backup, you will need to have bootmii as boot2 to do it

Edit: although it may be easier to downgrade using something like dopmii or anyregion changer, that way you won't lose any channels or game saves or other data in the process

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you can get to the homebrew channel from bootmii just install the latest hackmii installer and then re-install you cIOS. You shouldn't need to go back to 4.2.

I found the easiest way was to install Hackmii (latest) which should put the homebrew back on the front menu then install IOS236. You can then use 236 to re-install all the other cIOS, (Hermes and Wanin's).

You may need to add trucha to IOS80, 53 and 55 for wiiware support.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As Mantis has said, there is no real reason to downgrade from 4.3 to 4.2. If updated to 4.3 officially, he will have a stubbed IOS 70. If you can re-install 4.2 IOS 70, you do not have any reason to downgrade. If you can re-install IOS 70, this implies you have a way to load homebrew. The only downside to 4.3 is you don't have that many methods disposable to install the homebrew channel. Not to mention, I forsee a brick when downgrading (IOS 70 is stubbed, install 4.2 system menu = brick)

A good idea would be to install priiloader. There is a .5 priiloader for 4.3 menu which has a risk of bricking your wii. There is a bug that causes priiloader to crash when installing and if you don't have bootmii as boot2, then you are screwed. The bug occurs if you do not have an active internet connection running. Then download latest priiloader hacks and re-enable bannerbomb a bug in 4.1, 4.2 system menus that allows you to run .dol files without the homebrew channel.

bjorno

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't think its really needed to downgrade it. Ask him why he actually wants to downgrade it.

If he still wants to downgrade. You should make a back-up again. In case the 1st back-up was corrupted.
And restore it.

Goodluck
smile.gif

Presto99

You slammin, bro?
Trophies
Website
https
XP
Country
United States
I actually did this exact thing. I made a nand backup with bootmii as boot2 when I started modding my wii. my dad updated it to 4.3
tongue.gif
But anyways I restored my backup and I was all back on 4.2 and everything again!

gamecaptor

R.I.P. Densetsu. Legends never die!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
o-so I could have worked off the 4.3 since it was updated from an existing 4.2 mod, interesting and good to know.

The reason I wanted to roll it back is that USB Loader GX wasn't working any longer since he updated it (obviously 4.3 kills it). I went ahead and rolled it back to the 4.2 NAND backup and all is well now. I also installed Priiloader as a pre-caution so he can't update it again
smile.gif

Thanks again fro the suggestions. I'll keep this in mind next time one of my friends screws up their Wii.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see lots of people giving advice but absolutely no one answering your question, so I'll do it...

A working nand backup can be used any time without fear of brick (so long as the backup is good and uncorrupted of course
wink.gif
) That is why it's a backup.

For future reference, if you have the homebrew channel still even after an upgrade you just need to follow any existing "how to hack a wii" guide and just take over from the homebrew channel step to reinstall any IOS you needed.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
4.3 kills USB loader gx because Nintendo downloads stubbed IOS's in place of common used CIOS slots. If you were doing basic set-ups, he used 249 in which was stubbed. It is as simple as removing the stub and re-installing 249 with rev 20.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There isn't really a good reason... Bootmii verifies the integrity of the nand via a checksum of some sort, so it's only slightly more dangerous (IE, if the power goes out or something in the middle of restoring)

bjorno

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
flo said:
Why can't you do a NAND restore with bootmii@ios ?
Just because it's risky or the program just won't allow you ?

Because it is risky. The program allows you to but lemme explain why it is risky. If somehow the backup was corrupted
or it didnt restore 100% (power shut down etc) you end up with a full brick. And you can't fix your wii unless you had bootmii as boot 2
or you are a skilled nand programmer.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Zetta_x said:
4.3 kills USB loader gx because Nintendo downloads stubbed IOS's in place of common used CIOS slots. If you were doing basic set-ups, he used 249 in which was stubbed. It is as simple as removing the stub and re-installing 249 with rev 20.
And that's why on the 4.3 Wiis I've modded they can all use USB Loader GX?

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Midna said:
Zetta_x said:

I would demand a refund if you modded my wii and you believe that 4.3 kills USB loader GX even if you did it for free.

If you couldn't get USB loader GX to work on 4.3, you are using an incompatible CIOS (which the last time I checked was anything greater than rev 17) for Fat32.

bjorno

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Zetta_x said:
Midna said:
Zetta_x said:

I would demand a refund if you modded my wii and you believe that 4.3 kills USB loader GX even if you did it for free.

If you couldn't get USB loader GX to work on 4.3, you are using an incompatible CIOS (which the last time I checked was anything greater than rev 17) for Fat32.

Uhm. Well he doesnt mean it directly kills usb loader gx but indirectly. 4.3 stubs some cios and that prevents usb loader gx or any other apps like neogamma, wiiflow, cfg etc etc from working.
Of course it is possible to have those apps working on 4.3 by removing the stubs and installing the cios back

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which is exactly what I said only to get a reply "And that's why on the 4.3 Wiis I've modded they can all use USB Loader GX?" which meant to me, my reply is wrong because 4.3 kills it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Has he had seizures before?