Gaming don't you think this should happen.

GameGeek

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Or you could play games on your handheld gaming device.

Weird concept, I know...but you gotta try it.
It's pretty sweet.

Because I'm sure that the existence of such an app is going to limit your 3DS' ability to run games.
Not to mention that there are plenty of 3D videos in YouTube, and running such an app in a 3DS would be many people's only way of watching them in 3D without 3D glasses.

Honestly, this "If I don't care about such a feature, neither should you" logic is one of the most flawed and arrogant ones I've ever heard.

I love the fact how an iPhone can play YouTube and suddenly everything has to also play it. And the sad part is people have been whining about no youtube since launch and its just not gonna happen. The End

[sarcasm]Totally. People should stop whining about how a device that can be used to surf the web is totally useless to surf one of the biggest websites out there. I'm glad Nintendo remembered there's a rule stating that if you give your handheld device a web surfing feature, you should make sure to half-ass it.[/sarcasm]

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Highly unlikely. You could tell Nintendo about it but I doubt they'll listen.

'HEY you no fair! Netflix and Hulu Plus. WHy nO yOutubE?'

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or you could play games on your handheld gaming device.

Weird concept, I know...but you gotta try it.
It's pretty sweet.

Because I'm sure that the existence of such an app is going to limit your 3DS' ability to run games.
Not to mention that there are plenty of 3D videos in YouTube, and running such an app in a 3DS would be many people's only way of watching them in 3D without 3D glasses.

Honestly, this "If I don't care about such a feature, neither should you" logic is one of the most flawed and arrogant ones I've ever heard.

I love the fact how an iPhone can play YouTube and suddenly everything has to also play it. And the sad part is people have been whining about no youtube since launch and its just not gonna happen. The End

[sarcasm]Totally. People should stop whining about how a device that can be used to surf the web is totally useless to surf one of the biggest websites out there. I'm glad Nintendo remembered there's a rule stating that if you give your handheld device a web surfing feature, you should make sure to half-ass it.[/sarcasm]

Page back about 4 or 5 pages on Games and Content or Console and Acc. and you'll see why I think people need to shut up about the damn you tube. Im not saying I wouldnt be happy if youtube did go on the 3DS. But the web browser was clearly stated to be made for quick reference (such as guides and news) not for some all out multimedia player. Its not half assing if you planned to make it run simple and limited because a fucking game like RE or MH is sappin all your CPU to look good and run in the background. And once again I state it. NOBODY WANTED YOUTUBE ON EVERYTHING before the iPhone, so if you want your game system to act like something it clearly wasnt made to be then go get a smartphone.
Oh and Sarcasm tags dont make you look like a total dick AT ALL.

Reactions: 3 people

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Remember the times when handheld gaming devices where about games?
That will still be the primary function of the 3DS, but they still added a photo and video camera, a music player and a web browser.
If they added youtube playback support they would instantly see a sales increase, the prospect of watching 3D video content off the web is very alluring.

A 3DS youtube app wouldn't need to use flash by the way.

philip11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That will still be the primary function of the 3DS, but they still added a photo and video camera, a music player and a web browser.
If they added youtube playback support they would instantly see a sales increase, the prospect of watching 3D video content off the web is very alluring.

Not necassarely the iphone app did not use Flash, Steve Jobs made sure of it, they used something to integrate it in.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it used some sort of quick formatter or converter that could change most basic you tube formats into a quicktime codec (because Apple thinks someone actually uses quicktime) thats why some youtube videos dont load because of uploaded format.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

I was speaking from a nostalgic point of view.
>sadly puts down his old GBP.

WolfSpider

Trophies
Website
northernillinoisweathercenter.com
XP
Country
United States
One can dream what one wants, but really, you guys are probably not the first to think of a Youtube app for the 3DS. 3DS devs and people within Nintendo might feel the same way. But them higher-ups in Nintendo gets the say, and they probably decided otherwise. Else, we would have seen native Youtube support already. It's not that hard to implement if they really wanted it.

tl;dr is it's highly unlikely. people should accept the fact that it's probably not gonna happen. Nintendo would have announced it pre-launch, alongside Netflix and Nintendo Video.

Nintendo wants nothing to do with Youtube. More importantly, Nintendo wants nothing to do with Adobe Flash.
There's a html5 version of Youtube.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
YouTube requires Flash? Then I wonder why I can view vids from my iPhone and iPad.

Oh. There's a dedicated app as well.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
hmm anyone test out html5 youtube on 3DS yet?
my internet isn't reliable to confirm working, but im gonna try now.

Based on http://www.youtube.com/html5, the 3DS browser doesn't support any of the features listed, which include Video tag, h.264, and WebM, and because of thatm it prevents from opting in the html5 trial.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
One can dream what one wants, but really, you guys are probably not the first to think of a Youtube app for the 3DS. 3DS devs and people within Nintendo might feel the same way. But them higher-ups in Nintendo gets the say, and they probably decided otherwise. Else, we would have seen native Youtube support already. It's not that hard to implement if they really wanted it.

tl;dr is it's highly unlikely. people should accept the fact that it's probably not gonna happen. Nintendo would have announced it pre-launch, alongside Netflix and Nintendo Video.

Nintendo wants nothing to do with Youtube. More importantly, Nintendo wants nothing to do with Adobe Flash.
There's a html5 version of Youtube.
That comment might have had some relevance if the 3DS' html5 weren't crippled. As it is, I'll treat that quote as "quoting without reading". This is my cue to snort with disdain.

Tsukurimashou

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't care about youtube but putting a web browser on something without flash is really dumb, the Wii browser had flash so why not the 3DS.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
I wouldn't mind a YouTube client for 3DS. Various smartphones have such clients and Flash support is not really required. The problem is, it will never happen.

Firstable, let's forget about running any videos in 3DS' browser. It can barely render web pages! Just try opening a regular (non-mobile) version of Facebook and wait until you die... and then wait again when you scroll a little bit.

Then, there's the problem with 3DS' hardware. Youtube sends videos either as MP4 (H.264) format, as WebM and as FLA (various proprietary Flash codecs). 3DS is definitely not powerful enough to decode H.264 nor WebM (which have similar complexity), especially that its GPU does not support programmable pixel shaders that would help to offload the work. And to get access to Flash proprietary codecs, Nintendo would need to pay Adobe.

Of course, apart from shitty 10-minute camera recording which waste enormous amounts of space due to a primitive MJPEG codec, 3DS is perfectly able to play high quality videos. After all, we can see them in eShop and in Nintendo Video. The problem is that Nintendo uses a proprietary paid codec ActImagine/Mobiclip, which will never be implemented by YouTube.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night. +1