Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze for Nintendo Switch gameplay trailer

Nintendo has uploaded a trailer that focuses on the upcoming Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze port for the Nintendo Switch. In the video, we get to see gameplay of it running on the Switch, as well as a snippet of the new Funky Kong mode for the game. Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze originally launched on the Wii U in 2014, for $49.99, and will release for the Nintendo Switch on May 4, 2018 for $59.99. The game is around 6.6GB, half the size of the Wii U version, and will also have loading times that are 2x faster than the original version.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'd be happier if it included both wii u donkey kong games (the wii one was ported to wii u if I recall), or at least a reduced price. I'll pick this up eventually, but definitely used.
you recall wrong lol wii donkey kong was ported to 3ds not wiiu, tropical freeze is the only dk game for wiiu.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you recall wrong lol wii donkey kong was ported to 3ds not wiiu, tropical freeze is the only dk game for wiiu.
right, I know about the 3ds one, I think I was thinking of the digital version. Eshop for Wii U, but it was for vwii I think. I had to google it.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
right, I know about the 3ds one, I think I was thinking of the digital version. Eshop for Wii U, but it was for vwii I think. I had to google it.
every vwii game is just a wii game it does not run on wiiu mode, so yeah and wiiu itself has a wii and wiiu hardware inside so something being released as a wii vc title doesnt make it being released on wiiu, its still a wii game that runs on wii hardware.

maybe someday nintendo starts making collectiions and we get all dk games on one cartrige.

srs i would kill for a dk collection and paper mario one, sadly nintendo rarely does collections maybe someday they make an amazing collection like they did for zelda.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
every vwii game is just a wii game it does not run on wiiu mode, so yeah and wiiu itself has a wii and wiiu hardware inside so something being released as a wii vc title doesnt make it being released on wiiu, its still a wii game that runs on wii hardware.

maybe someday nintendo starts making collectiions and we get all dk games on one cartrige.

srs i would kill for a dk collection and paper mario one, sadly nintendo rarely does collections maybe someday they make an amazing collection like they did for zelda.
indeed :3 that's the gist of what I was saying. And yeah! here's hoping we get a dk collection sooner or later. Guess it'll depend on how well this sells.

Last edited by osaka35,

dpad_5678

Ape weak on own. Ape strong in unity.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The entire "lol this is just another port and no one wants this" argument is long dead. I ALWAYS wanted to play his game (was pissed that it wasn't being released on 3DS at the time) but wasn't going to buy a Wii U just to play 3 or 4 games.

Nintendo's realising that these are great games that people WILL want on the Switch. It's cheap and easy for them to port, so its a win for everyone, ESPECIALLY since the Switch already outsold the Wii U.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Tropical Freeze was an amazing game! Its awesome.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It just get costly getting all the same games over again.. even when its for something like a character. Its going to be difficult to justify this kind of a purchase.
But that's he beauty about this. If you already have the Wii U version, you don't have to buy the Switch port. If you don't have a Wii U (and, of course, have a Switch), then you get to play a great game without spending $299/$349 on a subpar console. :)

mizorechan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
But that's he beauty about this. If you already have the Wii U version, you don't have to buy the Switch port. If you don't have a Wii U (and, of course, have a Switch), then you get to play a great game without spending $299/$349 on a subpar console. :)

It's not beautiful to pay $60 for a 2014 game with little to none new content. DKTP is the game which I most wanted to play on Wii U, but this port doesn't change the fact of being a greedy move from Nintendo. Rayman Legends, which is another great 2d platform game, was re-released for Switch for way less.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
yes, that's the gist of what I was saying :3 But yes, here's hoping we get a dk collection sooner or later. Guess it'll depend on how well this sells.
It's not beautiful to pay $60 for a 2014 game with little to none new content. DKTP is the game which I most wanted to play on Wii U, but this port doesn't change the fact of being a greedy move from Nintendo. Rayman Legends, which is another great 2d platform game, was re-released for Switch for way less.
yeah the thing that doesnt make sence is, on wiiu brand new it was 50$ on switch a re release with funky kong added 4 years later is 60$... i mean atleast they should have respected the original price imo.
Captain toad wont be released for 60$...

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
So,erm... If the wiiu version is twice the size, does that mean it'll have superior graphics over the switch version? :P

As a Wii U owner who already bought these Switch-ported games, I feel double-crossed and swindled. Less Wii U ports, and more original titles/sequels please.
Shouldn't you be asking yourself why you're buying the same game over and over again? I mean... Books get reprints all the time but i have yet to find the first person who buys books again because of it.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
As a Wii U owner who already bought these Switch-ported games, I feel double-crossed and swindled. Less Wii U ports, and more original titles/sequels please.
Port don't require nearly as much time, money, or resources to make as original games do because practically everything they need is already there. Generally some side team does it or is outsourced to a 3rd-party, leaving the main groups to produce the new titles.

Eddypikachu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ohoho.jpg

Reactions: DeslotlCL

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Port don't require nearly as much time, money, or resources to make as original games do because practically everything they need is already there. Generally some side team does it or is outsourced to a 3rd-party, leaving the main groups to produce the new titles.
I guess it's not bad if a port gets released to keep us occupied until the Switch-exclusive game in the series comes out. Like, if they remastered Metroid Prime 1, 2, and 3 a year before 4 drops, that's cool. But waiting for new games to come out from Nintendo, and only getting Wii U ports I've already played instead is a dick move.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd be happier if it included both wii u donkey kong games (the wii one was ported to wii u if I recall), or at least a reduced price. I'll pick this up eventually, but definitely used.
For both donkey kong country returns and tropical freeze, yes it would be worth $60 just like bayonetta 1 & 2 but still nintendo don't play that. :P

As much as i agree and dislike the $60 price, people need to remember that this isn't for people who already played the wii u game, it's for people who didn't. The target is people who hasn't played the game on wii u. Also to be fair, the additions are minor yes but it's least SOMETHING, meanwhile some others don't add NOTHING to their game ports. Bayonetta for example is exactly that. So if you are buying the game, just remember this, if you played it on wii u, then it's not really intended for you to be buying it on switch, of course it doesn't stop anyone from doing so, I most likely will be (At reduced price somewhere) :ninja:

D

Deleted User

If you own this game on the Wii U then this is a fucking waste of money. If you have not played this game before then this is worth picking up. It is an excellent game.

I personally will skip it because all it adds is a new Funky Kong (easy) mode which I don't need or even want. If it included new levels then I'd consider it. A boost from 720p to 1080p would be nice.

EDIT: The Switch version features faster load times and a smaller file size.

Last edited by ,
D

Deleted User

Donkey Kong Country: Returns on the Wii was ported to the 3DS.

Reactions: osaka35

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.keepretro.com/products/miyoo-a30