Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze for Nintendo Switch gameplay trailer

Nintendo has uploaded a trailer that focuses on the upcoming Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze port for the Nintendo Switch. In the video, we get to see gameplay of it running on the Switch, as well as a snippet of the new Funky Kong mode for the game. Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze originally launched on the Wii U in 2014, for $49.99, and will release for the Nintendo Switch on May 4, 2018 for $59.99. The game is around 6.6GB, half the size of the Wii U version, and will also have loading times that are 2x faster than the original version.

Eddypikachu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You keep bringing up WiiU and I'm just going to have to keep repeating that nobody wants one. That's why it sold like shit in the first place. It's not going to get a huge sales boom after the console is already discontinued, it's never going to happen.

We all like lower prices, but you're acting like $60 for a new AAA game is unheard of, which is ridiculous. And yes, I said new, because again, roughly 90% of Switch owners will be playing it for the first time. The other 10% won't bother buying it because they owned a WiiU, and that's fine. Worst case scenario, you wait for a used copy or a sale. All it takes is a little patience. That said, I'm sure plenty of WiiU owners bought it at full price, just as plenty of Switch owners will.

If you think Nintendo has released all the WiiU ports that people actually want to play on Switch, you're in for a rude awakening. Nintendo isn't going to doom these games to obscurity just because a few WiiU owners want them to, and it's pointless to complain about each and every port.
Hey, legit question: How do Nintendo's boots taste? You seem so determined to defend this 100% shitty business practice as long as its Nintendo doing it

Last edited by Eddypikachu,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Hey, legit question: How do Nintendo's boots taste? You seem so determined to defend this 100% shitty business practice as long as its Nintendo doing it
It's you and Deslot who seem to enjoy useless whinging over the fact that people are fine with buying these games on Switch. I'm all ears as to why porting over a game that got near zero exposure is a "shitty business practice." Could it have been $10 cheaper to match its new price on WiiU? Sure. Is that really the worst thing you've ever seen a developer/publisher do? Not even fucking close. Bitching over $10 is very close to bitching over nothing at all.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Like how Bethesda charged $60 for the "legendary edition" of Skyrim? Even though it put a huge damper on the modding community, and regular skyrim with all DLC was always on sale for $10? Nintendo isn't the only one doing this. It won't stop, no matter how much you and others piss and moan. People will buy it. It's not a new practice. It's not being "defended". Especially not because "Nintendo is doing it". Get your head out of your ass.

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Like how Bethesda charged $60 for the "legendary edition" of Skyrim? Even though it put a huge damper on the modding community, and regular skyrim with all DLC was always on sale for $10? Nintendo isn't the only one doing this. It won't stop, no matter how much you and others piss and moan. People will buy it. It's not a new practice. It's not being "defended". Especially not because "Nintendo is doing it". Get your head out of your ass.
Yep, I'm tempted to buy Skyrim VR for a full $48 at GMG too, seems like a much better VR version than FO4. I can't imagine how much butthurt there must've been on the Steam community forums when Skyrim VR became a top seller during pre-orders. Skyrim ports are a meme at this point, and yet Nintendo takes more heat than Bethesda for porting games from a DOA system ONCE.

Reactions: Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Yep, I'm tempted to buy Skyrim VR for a full $48 at GMG too, seems like a much better VR version than FO4. I can't imagine how much butthurt there must've been on the Steam community forums when Skyrim VR became a top seller during pre-orders. Skyrim ports are a meme at this point, and yet Nintendo takes more heat than Bethesda for porting games from a DOA system ONCE.
Irony at its finest. However it has to be Nintendo's fault.

Eddypikachu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is so hilarious, just because other companies are doing does not excuse nintendo from doing it at ALL and it's really laughable that you will 100% keep buying it no matter what while just being like "welp, this is just how it is" Pathetic. It's also funny how you think my comment is talking about the community as a whole when I specifically directed that comment to Xzi alone because you can clearly see he's that he keeps defending the price of this game being higher than it's original price on the wii u in this thread

Last edited by Eddypikachu,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
This is so hilarious, just because other companies are doing does not excuse nintendo from doing it at ALL and it's really laughable that you will 100% keep buying it no matter what while just being like "welp, this is just how it is" Pathetic. It's also funny how you think my comment is talking about the community as a whole when I specifically directed that comment to Xzi alone because you can clearly see he's that he keeps defending the price of this game being higher than it's original price on the wii u in this thread
I'm defending the port from a console that was dead on day one. There's no reason they needed to price it higher, but you can get it for less than $50 through Amazon or Gamestop or Best Buy anyway. Or just not buy it if you've already played it.

If PS3 or XB360 had failed as hard as WiiU did, you can bet your ass they'd be re-releasing all those games on PS4/XB1. At least Switch always gives you the extra feature of portable play.

Last edited by Xzi,

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
people rebuy old game ports becuase they love the games to death and want to show the devs some love to make the sequels happen.

for instance i had all my splinter cell games on ps2
orignal,pandora tomorow,chaos theory and double agent, then i got a used xbox and rebought all of them again becuase people said they looks and played better, then i got my ps3 and rebough the hd trilogy nad if they ever re release them on ps4/xb1/switch and i have the console i will rebuy them again becuase its my favorite ip right next to pokemon and smash bros, when we love something and try to support the ip(not to mention a new rebuy is another excuse to play through it again :P) is not pathetic.

srs so if you go see a movie to the cinema and buy the dvd and then the bluray its also pathetic?

Eddypikachu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
people rebuy old game ports becuase they love the games to death and want to show the devs some love to make the sequels happen.

for instance i had all my splinter cell games on ps2
orignal,pandora tomorow,chaos theory and double agent, then i got a used xbox and rebought all of them again becuase people said they looks and played better, then i got my ps3 and rebough the hd trilogy nad if they ever re release them on ps4/xb1/switch and i have the console i will rebuy them again becuase its my favorite ip right next to pokemon and smash bros, when we love something and try to support the ip(not to mention a new rebuy is another excuse to play through it again :P) is not pathetic.

srs so if you go see a movie to the cinema and buy the dvd and then the bluray its also pathetic?
if you're paying more than the original game was selling for and that new game that costs more has very minor improvements then yeah that's pathetic no matter if you played the original or not :P

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
if you're paying more than the original game was selling for and that new game that costs more has very minor improvements then yeah that's pathetic no matter if you played the original or not :P
so i guess everyone that had dvds and rebough blurays that were more expensive everyone is pathetic...

DarthDub

Amateur Hacker
Trophies
Website
www.gaiaonline.com
XP
Country
United States
That's more trollish than I would've put it, but yeah. If you've got a decent gig you can buy this game without giving a shit about how much the WiiU version cost, or more likely not knowing/caring it existing.
It's like people fail to realize that Switch Carts are more expensive to manfacture than Bluray discs.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think of myself as somewhat of a tropical freeze expert. :P the furthest I've made it beating all stages, getting all kong letters, and without dying is either 6-2 or 6-4. I usually can't make it that far without dying, but I do pretty well. ;)

this will be a purchase for me, but not for a while. I still need a switch. lol there are already several games I want on that system, especially odyssey. :)

Reactions: Xzi and DarthDub

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get a job if you can't afford this. lmao
To you, memoir and xzi. Yes, every company that does that practice is a shitty one. Now, the old "get a job if you cant afford this" phrase wont serve you as an argument, because if you consider all the other countries outside of the united states, the lone 10 dollars increase tag means more expensive for us, especially for people living on south america as an example.

Let me put things this way, even if you dont understand... This shit is gonna cost $44000 pesos here where i live, it is a good chunk of money for the amount people get paid here, but yet i could buy the wii u version for $20000 or an used copy for $10000, or an used wiiu for $100000 plus all the games ported to switch for much less compared to buying a brand new switch for $300000 plus every $30000 or $44000 wiiu port.

Jeez, that's a lot fucking money, not even the portable aspect justify it. God fucking lord.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
To you, memoir and xzi. Yes, every company that does that practice is a shitty one. Now, the old "get a job if you cant afford this" phrase wont serve you as an argument, because if you consider all the other countries outside of the united states, the lone 10 dollars increase tag means more expensive for us, especially for people living on south america as an example.

Let me put things this way, even if you dont understand... This shit is gonna cost $44000 pesos here where i live, it is a good chunk of money for the amount people get paid here, but yet i could buy the wii u version for $20000 or an used copy for $10000, or an used wiiu for $100000 plus all the games ported to switch for much less compared to buying a brand new switch for $300000 plus every $30000 or $44000 wiiu port.

Jeez, that's a lot fucking money, not even the portable aspect justify it. God fucking lord.
using 3rd world currency to make games look more expensive... every freaking game will cost you alot of pesos lol whats next want to say how much any game from any console costs in angola currency or some other countrys?

obviously people who live in those countrys and can afford a switch or even wiiu and games are healthy not poor or even middle class, srs if you start turning every game into african currencys you would see much higher values, that does not make the game more expensive than what is the price of it.

in europe we already always pay more than you guys for every release any 60 or 70 bucks game for any console is also 60 or 70 euros so we end up paying 22% more per game not to mention how switch costed 300 us dollars and here it costed 329 euros so we pay much more than you guys for whatever wierd reason.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
using 3rd world currency to make games look more expensive... every freaking game will cost you alot of pesos lol whats next want to say how much any game from any console costs in angola currency or some other countrys?

obviously people who live in those countrys and can afford a switch or even wiiu and games are healthy not poor or even middle class, srs if you start turning every game into african currencys you would see much higher values, that does not make the game more expensive than what is the price of it.

in europe we already always pay more than you guys for every release any 60 or 70 bucks game for any console is also 60 or 70 euros so we end up paying 22% more per game not to mention how switch costed 300 us dollars and here it costed 329 euros so we pay much more than you guys for whatever wierd reason.
We are anything but a third world country, yet shit ports like this one get full priced an people still keep licking nintendo boots. Way to go if you support that shitty practice.

DarthDub

Amateur Hacker
Trophies
Website
www.gaiaonline.com
XP
Country
United States

Nah I'm just old and remember the days when N64 games were $80.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended