Gaming Donkey Kong Country Returns

phatmike128

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys,

Anyone else buy this today? I'm a long time DKC fan and was there when the store opened. Played through world 1. It's awesome.

Porkmaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought it as soon as my local Gamestop opened at 11:00 AM. So far, I'm at world 5, 1 level away from the boss there. I gotta say, the difficulty curve is very high. World 1 isn't that hard, and then you definitely see a difficulty curve from World 2 on. And so far, at world 5 (out of 8) I'm already finding multiple ways to die in every level before hitting that wonderful completion barrel at the end. As I'm sure you've noticed, there are 3 holes in the top left corner when you're exploring the world map. They appear in each area of each world (1-1, 1-2, 1-3, etc.). The first one gets filled when you collect the letters that spell out KONG. The second one gets filled when you find all the puzzles pieces in that area. The third gets filled when you do time attack in an area. Time attack, of course, is you completing the level as fast as you possibly can, but there are predetermined times that you have to beat that will fill that third hole with either a Gold, Silver, or Bronze DK coin. I've only done time attack on 1-1 so far, and that alone took me 15-20 minutes for me to get the Gold DK coin on. Being a perfectionist, I can already tell this game is going to take me a looooong time.

Overall the game is very fun and it's definitely a VERY worthy Donkey Kong Country "4". Bravo, Retro Studios. Bravo.

Cozmo1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought it a few hours ago. Definitely worth the money buying. I'm on on 2-2, but I've been going back and forth to get puzzle pieces. I still want to put a it on my USB HDD for backup purposes. Is there a way to rip Wii disks nowadays without having an LG drive? That used to be the only way to do it though I'm sure (or hope) things have changed.

darkranboria

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cozmo1 said:
I bought it a few hours ago. Definitely worth the money buying. I'm on on 2-2, but I've been going back and forth to get puzzle pieces. I still want to put a it on my USB HDD for backup purposes. Is there a way to rip Wii disks nowadays without having an LG drive? That used to be the only way to do it though I'm sure (or hope) things have changed.

To get the file on your computer, use an app such as a USB loader on your wii to install it to the HDD, then plug the hard drive into your computer and use a program such as WBFSSync to take it off your HDD.

XXLANCEXX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got it Love it so far XD Excellent Christmas Gift
smile.gif

phatmike128

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
sdoc96 said:
I'd like to know which store you got this from. It's not due for release in Australia until 2nd December.

I'm currently living in the US
smile.gif

Wasn't there another hype thread on here a couple days ago? Did it get moved or something?

Kadin

Ain't no rest for the wicked...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
phatmike128 said:
sdoc96 said:
I'd like to know which store you got this from. It's not due for release in Australia until 2nd December.

I'm currently living in the US
smile.gif

Wasn't there another hype thread on here a couple days ago? Did it get moved or something?
Yeah it got completely out of hand and vanished...
frown.gif

thieves like us

chaos personified
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
the mods were not logged on and piracy links started running rampant so the mods just killed the thread (and probably banned a few members as well)

evidently, the thing about typing "I will not ask for roms" when signing up on this forum is beyond the comprehension of certain people
lecture.gif

Melee54

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Got it, but the controls are awful. I tried emulating it on the PC. Fixed the control issues and the graphics look awesome, but the sound doesn't work. :|

D

Deleted User

sebastian9 said:
Thank God I never bought this awful game. Controls are terrible, and that alone ruins the entire experience.

You're awful, and are probably terrible at the game.
This game is hands down on my top 3 for best platformer of the year, almost up there with SMG 2.

I'm almost done with World 2, and I have to say, I love the challenge thats there, and I love how you only get 2 hits without Diddy Kong, Very unforgiving, but a blast none the less.

Porkmaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
brandonspikes said:
sebastian9 said:
Thank God I never bought this awful game. Controls are terrible, and that alone ruins the entire experience.

This game is hands down on my top 3 for best platformer of the year, almost up there with SMG 2.

I'm almost done with World 2, and I have to say, I love the challenge thats there, and I love how you only get 2 hits without Diddy Kong, Very unforgiving, but a blast none the less.

He's got a point if he's using Wii Remote + Nunchuck. I tried using that setting and the controls for THAT setting are indeed garbage. Simply take out the Nunchuck and it will automatically change to control type to classic (Holding the Wii Remote sideways and controlling like New Super Mario Bros. Wii), and the controls are so much better with that setting. He probably played it at a local Gamestop where their controls are funky, and to play the game using classing controls, you have to hold the Wii Remote upright instead of sideways. Very weird. I first noticed it while I was waiting in line to get Call of Duty: Black Ops, and I was near the demo Wii with New Super Mario Bros. Wii on it.

But not buying a game because you're dumb enough not to use the preferred control settings IS pretty ignorant.

YoshiKart

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me, controls took a bit of getting used to. I'd much prefer all the weird new actions (blow, ground pound, etc.) to be mapped to 1/B/Z along with rolling so that it feels EXACTLY like the DKC trilogy. The physics took a bit of getting used to, too, not having your roll the same velocity as the current run speed, rolling into enemies doesn't extend roll duration, etc.

Another perfectionist over here; I plan to play this game for a while.
biggrin.gif

Retro Studios should follow up in their trilogy trend and make DKCR2/DKC5 with Diddy and Dixie; DKC2 was my favorite of the three.

And would someone please make a control hack via Ocarina, please&thankyou?
tongue.gif

sebastian9

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
brandonspikes said:
sebastian9 said:

Matching retardation with retardation. LOLOL. The wii is terrible, and I will continue to pirate 100's of games. Enjoy your "fisher price" toy.

PS: Controls are terrible, and you're awful.
biggrin.gif

Xale

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sebastian9 said:
brandonspikes said:
sebastian9 said:

Matching retardation with retardation. LOLOL. The wii is terrible, and I will continue to pirate 100's of games. Enjoy your "fisher price" toy.

biggrin.gif
Just because, you dont like something, doesnt mean its bad

Cozmo1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
darkranboria said:
To get the file on your computer, use an app such as a USB loader on your wii to install it to the HDD, then plug the hard drive into your computer and use a program such as WBFSSync to take it off your HDD.

Thank you, darkranboria!

I've thoroughly enjoyed all of the games in the DK series except for maybe DK64. It perfectly tops off a year that has seen some strong ups and downs in terms of games.

D

Deleted User

sebastian9 said:
brandonspikes said:
sebastian9 said:

biggrin.gif

* Sigh *, Children.

First of all, if the Wii is "terrible" and a "fisher price toy" than why do you pirate games? Is it because mommy wont buy you the ones you weerie want?

My join date may be after yours, but I have posted and probably have contributed more in one week, than you could ever do in an entire lifetime.

Also if this is an attempt to troll you're failing, and also breaking the rules, It's pretty unfortunate that you won the sperm race, but I guess humans make mistakes all the time.

Please keep your post count low, as I don't want to stoop to your level, thanks.

sebastian9

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
brandonspikes said:
sebastian9 said:
brandonspikes said:
sebastian9 said:

biggrin.gif

* Sigh *, Children.

First of all, if the Wii is "terrible" and a "fisher price toy" than why do you pirate games? Is it because mommy wont buy you the ones you weerie want?

My join date may be after yours, but I have posted and probably have contributed more in one week, than you could ever do in an entire lifetime.

Also if this is an attempt to troll you're failing, and also breaking the rules, It's pretty unfortunate that you won the sperm race, but I guess humans make mistakes all the time.

Please keep your post count low, as I don't want to stoop to your level, thanks.

Nerds these days. Continue wasting your time responding. This is becoming amusing.

Porkmaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's stick to the topic, shall we? If you really want to go on about Post Count/Join Date, then just look at me. Joined September 2009 and only 94 posts. It really means nothing.

Back on topic: Going back to play more Donkey Kong! Gonna do more speed runs and hopefully have the game beaten by tonight.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, gta v is down since november 2021