Hardware does this seem like a good steam machine build?

CuriousTommy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@DarkRiolu264 I noticed that you are going with a console-like case. Just keep in mind that you should have a good idea of where the wires should go when you do plan to put it together. It will make the process a lot easier for you. Probably a little too early to tell you, but I thought you should know.

Reactions: DarkRioru

DarkRioru

reach for the stars
OP
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
@DarkRiolu264 I noticed that you are going with a console-like case. Just keep in mind that you should have a good idea of where the wires should go when you do plan to put it together. It will make the process a lot easier for you. Probably a little too early to tell you, but I thought you should know.
I looked up a tutorial on the case itself and if I don't remember the tutorial by then, there is always the manual and someone to slap your face with common sense

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I looked up a tutorial on the case itself and if I don't remember the tutorial by then, there is always the manual and someone to slap your face with common sense
I would suggest a Core i3 6100 based on this comparison.
An MSI Z170A PC Mate motherboard based on this comparison.
At least 8GB of RAM.
A cheap 1TB HDD.
And then get whatever GPU you like, the one you had in your previous selection looks OK.
Those parts, together with the configuration you were building before were adding up to around $700.
Just keep researching, but I think that would be OK.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fine, I'll get intel but, I'll need to watch some intel vs amd videos before my mind is justified by the decision...
This is what I have noticed in my research and personal experience when looking at processors (there may be a little bias, since I usually try to get intel stuff, but I have a friend who is a huge AMD fan so it kind of balances out)

intel:
  • Makes quality processors
  • Leads the industry in general computing
  • Very efficient, especially the new 6th gen processors
  • EXPENSIVE
AMD:
  • Balance between quality and price
  • Leads the industry in gaming
  • Not nearly as efficient as intel (aka produces a bit more heat), but can be counteracted with good ventilation
  • VERY cheap; this sometimes leaks into quality of the processors itself, but they have a good warranty policy and products are usually highly reviewed
My thoughts:
If you're looking for a build and you want it to be extremely budget-oriented, I would highly recommend an AMD chip. If you're comfortable with maybe not buying a graphics card until later, and instead spending around $200 on a CPU with integrated graphics, then I highly recommend intel.

It's not a perfect recommendation, and there are exceptions, but for this build I'd actually recommend getting a current-gen AMD chip (probably the FX 6300, if I'm remembering my serials correctly)

Edit: My bad, I meant FX 8300. Look at this website for a bit more info: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-cpus,3986.html

Last edited by TotalInsanity4,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: you can't turn link into a femboy in tears of the kingdom