Hardware does this seem like a good steam machine build?

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For what it's worth, I'm using an FX 6300 and GTX 960, and it does fine as a mid-range PC. The problem with the FX CPUs is that, while they overclock well, they require a lot of voltage in order to reach speeds that will let them get any decent performance in newer games, while the pro is that they're comparatively cheap and, at least in my case, don't heat up much with a cheap aftermarket air cooler.

"Which is better. AMD or intel?" can't be objectively answered, because it should be looked at on a per-case basis. If you have the money and want the best performance, you can't beat intel, but if you want a budget system, AMD can be a good choice. Of course, there are also cheap intel CPUs, but at the $100-120 range, I personally think AMD gives you better performance for your money.
That said, as you get to the FX 8XXX series, intel starts being a better investment.

Edit: This depends on each individual chip, but it's not uncommon to reach 4.2GHz speeds on an FX 6300 without raising voltage, which means it wouldn't need an aftermarket cooler, but in my case I had to bump it a bit.

Edit electric boogaloo: Plex and Photoshop aren't a concern, if your computer can run newer games decently then it can handle those, though some Photoshop filters will obviously take longer to apply with weaker CPUs.

Last edited by Edgarska,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
600 is pushing it, this is what im at so far http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Q3RhsY the power supply and board are bad (not bad bad just there a far better options for a little more) but is trusted and the case is meh but im still missing a CPU that I would try to buy used but theres almost no way around the price point scratching my head a bit.

DarkRioru

reach for the stars
OP
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
600 is pushing it, this is what im at so far http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Q3RhsY the power supply and board are bad (not bad bad just there a far better options for a little more) but is trusted and the case is meh but im still missing a CPU that I would try to buy used but theres almost no way around the price point scratching my head a bit.
I'm doing an edited build of @TotalInsanity4 's build

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't really work that way.

And I just checked your SSD, god damn. $200? You should get a small SSD for your OS and your frequently used programs/games and get a HDD for other stuff. Check these out: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236339
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6BM3572949
Naw. I have a 500gb SSD and I love it. Trying to keep track of which programs are where, having programs autoinstall to the wrong drive, it's all a pain in the ass.

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Naw. I have a 500gb SSD and I love it. Trying to keep track of which programs are where, having programs autoinstall to the wrong drive, it's all a pain in the ass.
Unless you have a raid 0 setup having a single SSD is a waste but whatever floats your boat ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you're on a tight budget (in this case, we are) there's no point in spending $200 on a big SSD. 500GB by itself is nothing, and a cheap 1TB or bigger HDD would be rather useful.

Reactions: DarkRioru

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States