Does this look good?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by DarkFlare69, Dec 23, 2014.

1. DarkFlare69
    OP

DarkFlare69 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
  2. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Any time you buy a built PC your over paying for specs. You could build a nice PC for the price that will easily beat that one

3. AceWarhead

AceWarhead "Must Construct Additional Pylons"

Apr 9, 2011
    United States
  4. RevPokemon

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
  5. cdoty

cdoty GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2009
    United States

That's not always the case. From the looks of it, this is a mass produced system. A Chinese manufacture can get the parts cheaper, in bulk, than you can buy them one-off.

If you were to buy the parts, you would get the motherboard, CPU, ram, fans, hard drive, and maybe the graphics card for $400. Another $200 would be required for the case, DVD drive, and Windows 8.1.

cearp likes this.
  6. AceWarhead

Apr 9, 2011
    United States
    For higher end systems, I would I agree. But for lower-spec''d or budget systems, pre-built rigs come with al ot of bonuses that you can't get when self building. For example, would you be able to squeeze in Windows 8.1, a mouse, and keyboard into that budget, while still maintaining the core parts? These budget pre-built rigs offer a lot of bang for the buck.
    It's a common misconception that Self Built>>>Pre Built.

7. GreatCrippler

GreatCrippler Greatness Fallen

Mar 27, 2010
    United States
    It's fine for a budget PC, but given the quality of the CPU and the GPU, I wouldn't spend that much. Look for something a little dated. It wouldn't be too hard to find a nice 3rd Gen i7 Dell, or Asus in the $300 range. Then add PSU, and GPU yourself, and I think you'd end up with a better overall system.

8. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Actually, I build all mine for cheaper than store prebuilts, and I get better parts too.

9. CheatingSoi

CheatingSoi Graphic Designer

Apr 4, 2007
    United States
    Wisconsin
    I have built two computers in my life. Always sticking to a $1000 budget. I like to think I know my parts well. From the looks of it, that doesn't look like a bad computer for the price. But the graphics card looks skimpy. I would suggest building your own as I find that to be the most fun and satisfying part of getting a new computer. Plus you get exactly what you want, part for part. However, if that's not something you want to mess with, I would suggest paying a little bit more or looking into some of the suggestions the others have provided.

10. AceWarhead

Apr 9, 2011
    United States
    Please show me how you can build this
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227537&cm_re=fx_6300-_-83-227-537-_-Product
    with EXACT PARTS, for cheaper.
    If you read my post, I stated that for budget systems, often times pre-built machines offer alot more bang for the buck, with Full OS installs, mouse/keyboard, and DVD drives.
    You have an argument if you are talking mid to high end machines, or something over $800-900.

11. geishroy

geishroy Suspended

Suspended
    Dec 10, 2008
    United States
    staples had some cheap dells a few weeks ago i5s under $400, slap a $150 gpu in and you would be set. If you are going to buy something cheap and prebuilt you should actually wait for a deal that doesn't suck too bad. The one you have shown really isn't very good for the price. I would just look for a cheap i5 w/o a gpu, make sure the PSU is ok inside it and buy something like that. don't settle for junk "gaming" cheap prebuilds like that, if you are going to buy cheap junk then buy cheap junk no gpu and upgrade the gpu and psu if it does not come with enough power. you will get better processor/ram specs (where it really matters) and actually get to choose a gpu that is decent on top of it, instead of getting stuck with shit everything.

and i don't want to plug newegg or anything but if you are gaming on a budget and have a steady income, you can always try to sign up for a newegg preferred account. that way you can buy the whole pc now and pay it off as you go. I think they have promos with no payments for 6-12 months if you spend like 250-500 if that is you cup of tea.

Again just don't settle for shit with a good price tag, cause it will still be shit.

12. AceWarhead

Apr 9, 2011
    United States
    I agree, but you have to consider the budget he's aiming for. At that price point, he can't afford both an i5 and a decent GPU while still fulfilling other vital needs

13. JustChillin1414

JustChillin1414 <3 Tiny Tina

Mar 27, 2009
    Canada
    BC
  14. RevPokemon

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kb64wP
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kb64wP/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Micro Center)
    CPU Cooler: Gelid Solutions CC-Siberian-01 51.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($8.98 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($43.89 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($60.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.85 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB FTW ACX Video Card ($109.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Rosewill FBM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($23.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($24.99 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.75 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $523.42
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-23 00:43 EST-0500

That is a better PC for the price and you could always use a 6 core amd processors if you wanted (i prefer Intel)

15. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Well ofetn times when I build a new rig, I'll recycle parts like my case, power supply, graphics card, optical drives, etc... It's usually just the Motherboard, CPU and RAM that I buy, and even those 3 things can be bundled together, saving you even MORE money.

16. geishroy

geishroy Suspended

Suspended
    Dec 10, 2008
    United States

You can find decent prebuilt i5s around 350-400 on sale (which happens a lot). That is enough extra to buy a decent gfx card and psu if needed.

17. Jaggent360
    This message by Jaggent360 has been removed from public view by Veho, Jul 2, 2015, Reason: Pointless necrobump.
    Jul 2, 2015