Does the world want another BMX game?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by FAST6191, Aug 9, 2012.

Aug 9, 2012
  1. FAST6191
    OP

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    It has come up in conversation several times these last few years (probably as I occasionally hang around skateparks) but where skateboarding has got a new game every year and a half or so and the occasional new franchise there has not been a mainstream BMX title in years; Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2 was 2001, BMX XXX was 2002 (and probably what sunk the boat) and Mat Hoffman's Pro BMX 2 was also 2002. Handhelds have had a few entries including what is technically the third named Dave Mirra title and there was the awful Wii BMX game technically in Dave Mirra series but nothing along the lines of the Skate series.

Mountain biking still gets the odd game here and there, cycle management sims are almost annual these days, snowboarding games are in danger of having some diversity and back on the PS1 there was even a scooter game and although I am not personally gagging for one* I do find the absence of BMX games somewhat odd. Granted as far as tricks go I have never found BMX that easy to translate to computer games but we do have shooting games and I did find several of the previously mentioned titles amusing.

Short version- is the lack of BMX games something worth raising an eyebrow over?

*ramblings are those of a time served wood pusher.

2. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    Not really. The whole wave of extreme sports titles have passed us by. The only thing that's still holding on is Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, but that's mostly nostalgic.

Extreme sports aren't so extreme anymore.

3. chains_of_androm

Member chains_of_androm GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Maybe they can build one with an actual simulator you have to pedal on..exercise+gaming all in one. Might have something like that already though.

4. FAST6191
    OP

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Well there is the likes of
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdWwtApn6aI

I am sure what you described could be great but the cynic within immediately flashes to kinect driven nonsense and all I do with those sorts of games is maybe mention them in passing when typing up 360 releases yet I am sick of them.

Edit- forgot to acknowledge TwinRetro.... I agree extreme sports (I think I am probably supposed to call them "action sports" but I just had one of those "you expect me to type what?" moments) are coming to the end of their slow puncture (took a bit longer this time for the "fad" to die out mind) but I still would have thought it could have sustained a game or two.