Hardware Does the original GBA scratch carts as badly as this?

MaxiBash

Your Local Random Internet Geek
OP
Trophies
Website
trashbandatcootofficial.cardd.co
XP
Country
Netherlands
Let me explain, for as stupid as this thread can be.

I bought an original Game Boy Advance at a second hand shop about a month ago. Before this I've owned only 2 identical GBA SP's, the only difference being that one is the better 101 model with a backlit screen. It was a little dirty and needed some inside cleanup, but other than that still in really good nick from being kept in a pouch for most of its life. However, after playing for a while now, I started to notice how scratched up my carts have gotten from the back, all in identical spots at the parts where there's a small piece of glossy plastic. All my other carts have gotten "plastic smears" on them from just ejecting them a few times, and my copy of Super Mario Advance 4 has gotten pretty bad. I've never experienced this with the SP models before. I tried cleaning and carefully sanding away a few milimeters of the glossy bits at the cartridge insert of the console itself (thinking that there's just a small bit of malformed plastic that I can't feel with my finger), but it didn't really fix it either.

So, my question is: Do GBA carts scratch quicker from inserting/ejecting on the original GBA compared to the SP, and am I the only one that has this issue?

husky3g

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The SP has a screw just behind the cart slot. That's what causes the issue. Typically from aftermarket screws/shells, originals are usually pretty flush. You can try tightening the screw a bit or you can replace it with another to reduce the length.

MaxiBash

Your Local Random Internet Geek
OP
Trophies
Website
trashbandatcootofficial.cardd.co
XP
Country
Netherlands
The SP has a screw just behind the cart slot. That's what causes the issue. Typically from aftermarket screws/shells, originals are usually pretty flush. You can try tightening the screw a bit or you can replace it with another to reduce the length.
This is not a problem with my SP, it's with my regular GBA.

That's not a regular thing, no. Maybe you can adjust/fix the shell, if not maybe a replacement shell would help
Are there some plastic polishing products out there? I don't really mind if it eats away a small layer at the cartridge port.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.