Does the CycloDS Evolution read internal data for ROM names?

Discussion in 'CycloDS' started by nemt, Mar 27, 2009.

1. nemt
    OP

nemt Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 25, 2009
    United States
    Haven't gotten mine in the mail yet, but I'd like to know ahead of time so I can start renaming .nds files now in case it doesn't get the ROM name from internal data.

2. SoLuckys

SoLuckys GBAtemp Regular

Nov 12, 2008
    Cyprus
    Paralimni
    you can get the internal data for the rom if you press x i think, you dont have to rename your .nds files

3. nemt
    OP

nemt Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 25, 2009
    United States
    excellent

Also should each rom get its own folder, or is it ok to just drop them all in /roms/ or something?

4. Rayder

Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

Former Staff
    Jan 14, 2007
    United States
    USA
    There is a limit of 127 ROMs to a folder. Stick to that and you'll be fine. While you could leave the games in the root of the card, putting them in a folder is much neater.

5. SoLuckys

SoLuckys GBAtemp Regular

Nov 12, 2008
    Cyprus
    Paralimni
    i didnt knew that there was a limit of 127 roms to a folder lol

6. nemt
    OP

nemt Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 25, 2009
    United States
    is it 127 roms, or 127 files?

I assume the roms probably create all sorts of src/save state/etc. files in the folder they're played from.

7. Balrogs.Pain

Balrogs.Pain GBAtemp Fan

Aug 2, 2008
    127 Roms, you can let the cyclo DS make a SAVE folder, so that when you play a game the saves are in a different location, so its more neat.

8. nl255

nl255 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2004
    The filename doesn't matter, CycloDS goes by the internal rom information. Keep in mind that in addition to the 127 rom limit of the CycloDS firmware, there is a limit of 512 files and/or directories on the root of your SD card. The 512 limit is a hard limit of the FAT filesystem and can't easily* be changed.

*It might be possible to change that limit with tools like Linux's mkdosfs but there will probably be compatability issues.

9. nemt
    OP

nemt Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 25, 2009
    United States
    Right now I have all my games in /ROMs/ and then /A-E/, /F-K/ and so on for easy sorting. Thanks for the info, guys.