Hacking Does the 3DS really auto-update and how to disable it? :)

Rinth

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
If you never update the system even once, then it won't bother asking you to update, I think.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you never update the system even once, then it won't bother asking you to update, I think.
That is true. However, you'd be stuck with a not that useful 1.0.0 3DS :P Anything after and including 4.1.0 will ask you to update as long as it has downloaded the update (which it will do by itself if it has internet)

Reactions: pelago

Rinth

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
That is true. However, you'd be stuck with a not that useful 1.0.0 3DS :P Anything after and including 4.1.0 will ask you to update as long as it has downloaded the update (which it will do by itself if it has internet)

Well, my 3DS XL's stock firmeware starts at 4.4. So I'm a happy panda. :D

tHciNc

Total Random
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Yup , i got a brand new 4.4, all it took was 10 mins on the wifi for first time while i used browser to now have the constant update nag, and are the files on sd or in nand, i see a heap of 50meg files on sd card

Reactions: pelago

Rockstead

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Before.

4.1.0-8 removed the requirement for pin code to update.

This comments scares me.

SO the first thing I did with my new 3DS XL and my new Gateway, was to go to options and turn on absolutely everything in Parental Control, I have all Internet connections off.

Now I will get around to setting up the kids 3DSs, how do I make it impossible for them to update? is what I did enough if they don't know the Parental Control code and if Internet settings are not turned on?

What if they went somewhere and popped in one if their friend's original games that required had a firmware update on it, what would happen then?

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
how do I make it impossible for them to update?

You can't.

is what I did enough if they don't know the Parental Control code and if Internet settings are not turned on?

Enough to stop them turning the wifi on and letting it download an update, that's all.

What if they went somewhere and popped in one if their friend's original games that required had a firmware update on it, what would happen then?

It would give the standard update prompts and if accepted, update.

Rockstead

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
you likely want to keep a copy of the NAND backup, from the hardware dump method, somewhere safe; if ever they find a way to update the real firmware you can still use the hardware method of restoring the NAND back to 4.5.

I guess I wont give them the 3DS until 2.0 is released and I can backup the NAND through the new Gateway Menu.

Rockstead

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can't.

Enough to stop them turning the wifi on and letting it download an update, that's all.

It would give the standard update prompts and if accepted, update.

Thanks for all the feedback. I guess with all the parental controls on, and wifi turned off, I'll ask them to be sure not to play other kids games.

What would I need to turn on in order to play against them locally in Mario Kart? In the situation where we're all sitting in the same room. Can that be done safely without turning wifi on? or does it have to go wifi and maybe I can set the mac addresses to not have permission for the internet? don't want to over complicate this, there's just no necessity to risk putting these on the net but it would be fun to play multiplayer games with just the families 3DSs.

tyons

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Not like it can be avoided.

Gateway is 4.1-4.5 only. So if you want to use, you have to update to at least that version anyway, so there is no way to stay on a version that requires pin and use Gateway.

ah, I thought there were 4.1.0-0, 4.1.0-1, etc, and that it got changed only from 4.1.0-8 onwards.

tHciNc

Total Random
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
ah, I thought there were 4.1.0-0, 4.1.0-1, etc, and that it got changed only from 4.1.0-8 onwards.

Last number goes up incrementally in most cases as new versions come out, not sure what signifies if it changes or not
Xe7LqIl.png

Reactions: tyons

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for all the feedback. I guess with all the parental controls on, and wifi turned off, I'll ask them to be sure not to play other kids games.

What would I need to turn on in order to play against them locally in Mario Kart? In the situation where we're all sitting in the same room. Can that be done safely without turning wifi on? or does it have to go wifi and maybe I can set the mac addresses to not have permission for the internet? don't want to over complicate this, there's just no necessity to risk putting these on the net but it would be fun to play multiplayer games with just the families 3DSs.

Wireless has to be switched on for local play. If you were intending to use the Gateway for Mario Kart, I'm not sure if local play works. Online play does not work in gateway mode, but I'm unsure about local play (not tried it).

Switching wireless on only once you are in game will prevent it from downloading an update anyway (does not do it while in game) and even if you did accidental download, you can just format the sd to get rid of the prompt.

tHciNc

Total Random
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Wireless has to be switched on for local play. If you were intending to use the Gateway for Mario Kart, I'm not sure if local play works. Online play does not work in gateway mode, but I'm unsure about local play (not tried it).

Switching wireless on only once you are in game will prevent it from downloading an update anyway (does not do it while in game) and even if you did accidental download, you can just format the sd to get rid of the prompt.

So those files on sd card are it ?? I did that, just copying back launcher and saves, but it only took minutes the next time i was online for it to download again hahah

Euwlo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey, just stopping by to say one thing that can help some people. If you have downloaded an update and it's not installed of course, BUT you are sure it's an old update (like kinda a 5.x). You can do some steps to remove the nag by starting an update donwload and interrupting it. Someone on other topic said that a while a go, but only did yesterday. Here is what I did.

My 3ds is in 4.4.0 and I was sure my "donwloaded update" was old than "latest firmware"

1. Be sure NOT to be on gateway mode and EVEN don't have the exploit installed via gateway blue card. I did this by simply running an DS game and then quit.
2. Go to settings, internet and configure your wifi.
4. Connect to your wifi.
3. Go back to main menu, home screen.
4. Close the 3ds and let it enter sleepmode for 10-20 seconds.
5. Open/wake it, go to settings, internet and DELETE your connection.
6. DONE.

Again, if your "downloaded update" IS NOT the latest, your 3ds will delete the "previusly downloaded update" and start the new download. So when you cut the connection you will have a partial donwload and won't have the nag screen.

This is my first post, expect to help some here. Also english is not my native language so sorry for any mistakes, =).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lol Veho.