Hardware Does Switch support 256 Gig U3 micro SD?

rob61

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was using a 128Gig micro SD in my switch, using SX Pro. Works fine. Wanted more space, so I bought a new SanDisc 256Gig U3 card. Used Windows 7 to copy the 128, then copy everything back to the new 256Gig card. Now the switch won't boot with the new card installed. The SX screen flashes, then the screen goes black. Putting the 128Gig card back in, it boots fine.

Does the Switch support 256Gig U3 cards? Can Windows 7 copy all required files or format the new card correctly? Is there a better way? Trying to determine what is going on here. Thanks!

wii07

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I just did it yesterday, copied everything from a 256gb samsung sd card to a 512gb samsung sd card with windows 7 and everything is working, but im using atmosphere on the switch.

i think the switch can even use 1tb card.

rob61

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a better way to copy over the files/structure onto the new 256M card? I only have one card port, so I copied all files (at least what the Windows 7 OS finds) to my computer's hard drive, then copied everything back to the new card. Or should I not copy everything but the root, try to get the SX OS to boot, and perhaps it will create necessary files, then copy the rest of the card after I can get it to boot?

Snomannen_kalle

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Is there a better way to copy over the files/structure onto the new 256M card? I only have one card port, so I copied all files (at least what the Windows 7 OS finds) to my computer's hard drive, then copied everything back to the new card. Or should I not copy everything but the root, try to get the SX OS to boot, and perhaps it will create necessary files, then copy the rest of the card after I can get it to boot?
I assume you have emuNAND installed? In that case, you could use a tool like Win32DiskImager to create an image file from your old SD, then flash it with e.g. BalenaEtcher to your new SD, and then expanding the main partition. You might need a third party tool to first move the hidden partition to be able to expand the main partition -- I like to use EaseUS Partition Master, although this tool costs money. I think you could use the free version of AOEMI Partition Assistant to be able to image the SD, and move the partition, although I am not sure if this is included in the free version. Hope this helps

Edit: So no, you don't need to move some of the content first, then boot SX OS, then move the rest of the files, if you use this procedure

Last edited by Snomannen_kalle,
Reactions: Deleted User

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I assume you have emuNAND installed? In that case, you could use a tool like Win32DiskImager to create an image file from your old SD, then flash it with e.g. BalenaEtcher to your new SD, and then expanding the main partition. You might need a third party tool to first move the hidden partition to be able to expand the main partition -- I like to use EaseUS Partition Master, although this tool costs money. I think you could use the free version of AOEMI Partition Assistant to be able to image the SD, and move the partition, although I am not sure if this is included in the free version. Hope this helps

Edit: So no, you don't need to move some of the content first, then boot SX OS, then move the rest of the files, if you use this procedure
You can do the flashing with Win32DiskImager, no need to use 2 tools.
I think I used AOMEI Partition Assistant to clone the drive and then resize it afterwards (so I didn't have to make a full image as I didn't have the room for it), but it can also image drives.

Reactions: Snomannen_kalle

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6v3cT3b59A&t=12s