Hacking Does R4 void DS warranty?!

cheekydollar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

Sorry for the newbie question - but does using the R4 card actually do anything to the DS software etc, does it change anything, and will it affect my warranty???

I assume if i get an R4 all my original DS games will still work fine on my DS....

thanks for the help!!

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
does using the R4 card actually do anything to the DS software etc, does it change anything, and will it affect my warranty???
No, no and no.

QUOTE said:
I assume if i get an R4 all my original DS games will still work fine on my DS....
Yes.

QUOTE(Jax @ Feb 26 2007, 04:37 AM)
Only if you flash your DS (which you don't need to use the R4), you lose the warranty.
People here keep saying over and over that Nintendo doesn't check to see if a system is flashed. They provide warranty service either way.

cheekydollar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok thanks!

But what do you mean that the 'system is flashed'. Surely this means something has been done to the system? Or do i just not understand?!

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Flashing a DS is only necessary when you only have a slot2 card and want to play DS games with the slot2 card. Most (if not all) slot1 cards have Passme built-in (R4DS has it) which negates the need for flashing your DS.

Flashing your DS let's you boot slot2 cards without a slot1 Passme. Since you have an R4DS, you don't have to worry about it. Your DS has not been altered.

(this reply made using the DS Web-Browser made by Opera)

imyourxpan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
if it's a physical problem with the system, they don't check to see how the software is. If it's a software problem they might check to see if there is a problem and they might not provide service under warranty.

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Using the R4 DOES void your warranty. (as does using an AR/xplorer etc).

Obviously though, they will never know so you are free to have a broken ds repaired under warranty.

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It does nothing to your DS. It does not void the warranty. I have read the section of the manual covering this and all it says is if you use something that is not Liscensed by Nintendo - i.e. the R4, Action Replay, ect. - they will not fix any damage that it could have done t your system. These don't actually do anything to your system, so its no big deal. Your DS is still under warranty.

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have read the section of the manual covering this and all it says is if you use something that is not Liscensed by Nintendo - i.e. the R4, Action Replay, ect. - they will not fix any damage that it could have done t your system.

So how exactly is that NOT voiding your warranty?

cheekydollar : It does nothing to your hardware. If you tell nintendo you've used one they won't fix any damage to your ds - hence your warranty is void. As I said though, unless you tell them they would never know and you are free to get your ds repaired.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Exactly, when I had to get my PSX repaired because I put a knife in the memory card slot they asked me on the phone if I'd used any third party peripherals on it (ie memory cards, controllers, penknives) - I presume if I'd had said yes they could claim it may well have been a dodgy bit of unlicensed equipment that knacked it and hence they wouldn't be liable.

If you ring up nintendo and say "Hey, I was using an R4 and ran a hentai veiwer by a chap called DarkFader and it wrote shizzle to my firmware and bricked it - could you send me another?" they would probably say your warrenty is void. But if your hinge snaps or something and you send it back it's unmodifed from when you got it (well, apart from the hinge
tongue.gif
) so there's no reason for them not to honour the warrenty.

Katalyst

Johnald Everyperson
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Using the R4 or AR or any of that shit doesn't void your warranty. If your DS is damaged by using one of those things, it's not covered under the warranty. You can still use all of that shit and your warranty is still valid. As in, if you're using R4 and all of a sudden your DS explodes or decides to bust an emo and start slicing up the screen, you're still fine. The damage wasn't done by use of the R4, you're not obligated to even tell them you were using it, they shouldn't even care or question it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.keepretro.com/products/miyoo-a30