GCN Does my GameCube need a new battery?

supernintendo128

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought a new GameCube to plug component cables into. This morning I turned it on to play some Paper Mario and then went to class. Then when I got home I turned it on again and realized that time hasn't passed from when I turned it off. Does it need a new battery? The system retains its settings and system time passes as normal when powered on.

UPDATE: I changed the battery. The clock works normally now. Thanks.

Last edited by supernintendo128,
Reactions: Alexander1970

6adget

GBAtemp's official atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, most likely a dead battery. you can pick up a pack of them off of amazon. just don't buy the cheapest ones you find. look for a 2032 battery cell. it basically serves the same function as a BIOS battery on a PC's motherboard.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
yes, most likely a dead battery. you can pick up a pack of them off of amazon. just don't buy the cheapest ones you find. look for a 2032 battery cell. it basically serves the same function as a BIOS battery on a PC's motherboard.
Yeah, stick to name brand. The capacity on the cheapo ones is so low that they are not worth it even at 10% of the price.

YOUCANTSTOPME

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've soldered in sockets instead so I can just put in standard CR2032s. I actually haven't come across a Gamecube with a dead battery yet myself (just did it as preventative maintenance), so reading about this is a sign that they will probably all start failing in the near future.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free