Does anyone make a wireless "adapter" for retro controllers?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Hanafuda, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Hanafuda
    OP

Hanafuda GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    Wasn't sure where to put this, so here it is. Not long ago I bought an Analogue SuperNT and love it. But the 8bitdo wireless controller? Not so much. It's not horrible, but nothing compares to OEM Nintendo SuFami/SNES controllers. Does anyone make a wireless "adapter" for retro wired controllers, i.e. there's a receiver nub you plug into the console, and a battery-powered "send" nub into which you plug the controller. Yes, I could use my controllers with extension cables, but wireless would be better. Just askin'.

2. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi GBAtemp Official Lolimaster

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
  3. MrCokeacola

MrCokeacola GBAtemp Regular

Feb 26, 2018
    Canada
    If only the N64 had a wireless controller.

A man can dream...

4. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    It did.. It sucked.. but it did..

5. MrCokeacola

Feb 26, 2018
    Canada
    Nobody cares about the doc's/retro-bit controllers. It's current year were's my good N64 wireless controller?

6. Hanafuda
    OP

Hanafuda GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    Yeah but that just uses a.replacement board which is the problem with 8bitdo’s controller anyway. Looks like I’ll have to try the tape mod on my 8bitdo to get the d-pad sorted out, or else just use my wired controllers. No big deal.

7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    For the matter of the OP I tend to go wired wherever I can (if I could wire a video output into my head you bet I would) but for the most part I consider it a good day if we can find a decent USB adapter that covers a range of devices.

You could probably build one actually -- loads of the things that convert controllers using arduino or teensy boards are essential input takers, package that into a bluetooth packet or something and output it the other end. Most of the software side has been done. Though it might mean finding all those nice custom controller ports (again easier said than done, so much so I actually considered doing it for a business once), and bastards like myself have rinsed the world of extension cables long ago.

Wouldn't that require such a device as a good N64 controller? Or are you one of the spider people?

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  8. MrCokeacola

Feb 26, 2018
    Canada
    A perfect N64 controller does not exi...
    IMG_20180828_233711635_HDR.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  9. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi GBAtemp Official Lolimaster

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    while you are right about converting signals augmenting latency, if it is well done that latency is merely a few milliseconds that don't even sum a single frame of input lag. as the key word is well done probably arduino and teensy boards are out of the question since those aren't made specifically to convert signals and thus adding to the latency.
    bluetooth itself usually takes less than 2ms, but can take up to 10ms or so if there is interference.