Hardware Do you use screen protector and if so, question:

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a 3DS XL screen protector (for bottom screen) lying around, because I bought this
10217131.jpg

Got it for the styluses, and didn't intend on using the screen protector, but all of a sudden I decided to. HOWEVER. When I apply it, it doesn't stick to the screen at all, it falls right off if I turn the system upside down. It's basically just a square sheet of plastic. o.O

I am guessing it's either because I wiped it before using it, or because I left it lying around for too long before deciding to use it.

But that aside, I had another issue with it.. it doesn't seem to cover the whole screen! Is this normal? It seems to leave a slight border around the edge of the screen which is unprotected. I'd rather not have a screen protector at all, because I know the stylus is going to snag on that border whenever I move toward the edge of the screen.

Basically, I am trying to decide whether to buy a screen protector, and my questions are:
1) Are there screen protectors which cover 100 percent of the screen?
2) How does the screen protector stick to the screen? (and will it come off unintentionally?)

link6155

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hori's screen protector will completely cover the top screen, and it's Officially licensed by Nintendo: http://www.amazon.com/HORI-Nintendo-3DS-Screen-Protective-Filter/dp/B008HPAXZ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389933190&sr=8-1&keywords=hori 3ds xl

The screen protector uses a different method to stick on than the traditional peel and stick. Don't know how to exactly describe it, but I think the video here (http://www.amazon.com/gp/mpd/permalink/mB5LIMRIGNZI6/ref=ent_fb_link) does a good job demonstrating it (even though it's showing the regular 3DS, the 3DS Xl screen protectors apply on pretty much the same). I haven't tried pulling it off, but on my old DS lite, I just used a piece of tape, stuck it on the screen protector's edge, and pulled it off if I needed to.

Hori has been making great quality products for Nintendo for years and years, I would recommend this brand over other accessories brand.

Reactions: zeello

Öhr

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I am not sure whats with that 100% question, but let me tell you:
There is no screen protector that fully covers every corner of the inset touchscreen, as it would be otherwise near to impossible to attach it to the screen. Removing it again to replace it with an unscratched one, would also become pretty difficult.
I only own a 3DS (no XL) and got a pair of hori protectors (had the same for my DS Lite and DS Phat!) and they are fantastic. The topscreen of the 3DS is fully covered, if applied correctly: You have about 2mm of wiggle room in both width and height.
The touchscreen however isn't fully covered (about 1 to 1.5mm too small in height and width), but unless you take your fingernails to scratch along the edges, the screen will be perfectly protected :)

I have yet to get a screen protector that I placed perfectly on my first try... It's a pain and there is always something beneath it. Can't remember how the hori ones attached (I think its suction), but they can be peeled off easily with no residue leftovers or anything along the lines. Unintentionally, though, I highly doubt that itll happen.

zeello

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am not sure whats with that 100% question, but let me tell you:
There is no screen protector that fully covers every corner of the inset touchscreen, as it would be otherwise near to impossible to attach it to the screen. Removing it again to replace it with an unscratched one, would also become pretty difficult.
I only own a 3DS (no XL) and got a pair of hori protectors (had the same for my DS Lite and DS Phat!) and they are fantastic. The topscreen of the 3DS is fully covered, if applied correctly: You have about 2mm of wiggle room in both width and height.
The touchscreen however isn't fully covered (about 1 to 1.5mm too small in height and width), but unless you take your fingernails to scratch along the edges, the screen will be perfectly protected :)
Point taken. For the record, I received my Hori screen protector and applied it last night. I noticed it doesn't quite cover the entire screen, but close enough. It almost definitely covers more than the cheap screen protector I originally had. What really matters to me is that the gap isn't so big that the stylus snags along the edges.

"Removing it again to replace it with an unscratched one, would also become pretty difficult." Well the Hori recommends using tape for this... so I don't think it is an issue... I would not want to use my fingernails anyway since that could hypothetically scratch the screen, the protector, or both, or it could fold or dent the protector.

The tape method works great btw. Damn lint got under the top left corner...

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Point taken. For the record, I received my Hori screen protector and applied it last night. I noticed it doesn't quite cover the entire screen, but close enough. It almost definitely covers more than the cheap screen protector I originally had. What really matters to me is that the gap isn't so big that the stylus snags along the edges.

"Removing it again to replace it with an unscratched one, would also become pretty difficult." Well the Hori recommends using tape for this... so I don't think it is an issue... I would not want to use my fingernails anyway since that could hypothetically scratch the screen, the protector, or both, or it could fold or dent the protector.

The tape method works great btw. Damn lint got under the top left corner...
I have yet to apply screen protectors without getting specks under the protector. Luckily it's not bad enough that I notice it most of the time, but still. It enrages me.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use the Armorsuit screen protectors and they cover pretty much all of it save for maybe 0.05mm on each corner where you can fit a fingernail in to lift it up. They work great, but sadly the company stopped making them.

ShadowNeko003

~Nyah~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use Hori for my XL. Yes, there's a small space in the bottom screen. I've had Hori since the DS, and my DS was like that too.

Most would recommend applying the protectors in the bathroom, after having the hot water running in the shower to steam the room. It would reduce dust.

Chocolina

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your screen protector isn't sticking, its likely because you haven't peeled the layer covering the adhesive side, they can prove very difficult to find and remove on some protectors.

2nd, rather than suggest something like Hori which costs like $8 or more and only comes with 1, you should be buying the cheap ones that come in lke a 6 pack for like 3 bucks. They're good practice, and the cheap protectors do protect your screen from scratches that are expected from your stylus. Newbies at screen protectors will make rookie mistakes like air bubbles and dust.

And I believe the space thats not covered 100% is to make protector removable easier. The only way I can think of edge to edge is cutting a custom piece and applying it on a disassembled 3DS. Without the extra space, if you wanted to remove a protector, you'd have to use something fine, yet sturdy like a needle, and you shouldn't use needles on your plastic screen.

Commoner

Trophies
XP
Country
I had a hard time finding a 3ds XL screen protector locally and ended up buying a liquid screen protector instead since it can pretty much accommodate glass screens of any size.

It's been about two months now and so far I haven't noticed any damage on the screens even though the kids are pretty damned rough with the stylus on the lower screen when they get get frustrated with games.

I used the Glieks liquid screen protector simply because that was pretty much the only brand available in our local shops. Dynaflo and Maxigurd should do pretty much the same thing though.

For those who don't know what liquid screen protector is, it is basically a solution with quartz dissolved in it. You basically wipe on a couple of drops on your screen , let it dry for a bit and rub off the excess quartz. What you are left with is a thin layer of extremely hard, transparent quartz that is scratch resistent and oil repellant. It is also incidentally anti-microbial for those if you who are mysophobic.

zeello

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that sounds amazing actually. but would that really work well with resistive touchscreen?

and im guessing its not too hard to remove right?

cateater1

Trophies
XP
Country
I bought: atFoliX FX-Antireflex Screen Protector Films for Nintendo 3DS XL fit perfectly but somewhat of a matte finish tbh but very good + reasonably price on Amazon.

Fits the entire bottom screen and i assume the top protector does the same but i never used that. I always remove my protectors with a wooden toothpick to avoid any damage.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
also using folix ones. they seem somewhat stronger than the old ones i had back in ds phat days. they cover most of the screen, but there will always bee some play at the edges for the lower screen. used mine for about 2 years, not noticing any scratches so far. mine are the ones that stop strong mirror effect.

as to why yours arent sticking, are you perhaps not removing the non sticky plastic part? or using that plastic part?
these screen protectors work somewhat like stickers

Commoner

Trophies
XP
Country
that sounds amazing actually. but would that really work well with resistive touchscreen?

and im guessing its not too hard to remove right?

If you're talking about the liquid screen protector, yeah the solution dries as a microscopic nano fiber mesh of quartz and is very flexible.

From experience with a regular 3ds with a regular screen protector, the protector does make the resistive screen lose a bit of its responsiveness but I did not experience the same issue on the 3ds xl with the Glieks screen protector applied.

I have not tried removing the coating but watched a review on Linus Tech Tips on YouTube where they tested Dynaflo by dragging a treated mock cellphone face down on a road tied to a motorcycle.

The end result was that the protective layer turned into a cracked messed up film that you could just peel off, while screen itself on the mock cellphone was protected from damage.

So I suppose you could remove it by taking a piece of sand paper to your screen but I would not recommend it.

link6155

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm receiving an Armorsuit screen protector today with full skin, might do a review and a comparison against Hori's screen protector sometime soon.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night