Do you think you should unplug everything during a thunderstorm?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by joyoshi, Jun 3, 2016.

1. joyoshi
    OP

joyoshi ICUP

Oct 9, 2015
    Netherlands
    Shoved up your nose
    Lately I've been very paranoid about things like this. What do you guys think? Personally I unplug things I really care about, like my pc, and I take my phone etc. from the charger, but I don't unplug a lot more than that.

2. JaapDaniels

JaapDaniels GBAtemp Fan

Apr 22, 2012
    Netherlands
    it's always the most secure option, but in the homes built in the netherlands after 1990 they're already protected once with earth cable to all electronic devices like radio's, computers and tv's. there's an update with new houses now around that also have condensator like system that will absorb the electricity of lightning but it will burst when done once, you can add manually a lightning catcher (an high antanna that connects to the ground to be even more secure... so sure there's a little risk and for older buildings it means most likely that they haven't got those upgrades, just chances are low in the netherlands.

joyoshi likes this.
  3. LiveLatios

LiveLatios Profesionnal Scalie

Nov 16, 2015
    Canada
    why
    If your important device is plugged into a surge protector it should be fine

4. JaapDaniels

JaapDaniels GBAtemp Fan

Apr 22, 2012
    Netherlands
    most surge protection can only take 10000 volts wich is just 0,001% of what't comming to it... and in the second it breaks it could already be too late for the other devices.

5. Chary

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    For anyone in Southeast Texas, yes. Yes you should. With the way the flooding is going here, better safe than sorry. Surge protector or no surge protector.

zoogie likes this.
  6. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I do run around unplugging things. Bonus of most people using phones as an alarm clock now is I don't have to reset said clocks afterwards (or worse find the 9V battery I stuck in them to avoid it leaked everywhere).
    Lost a nice router to it a couple of years back to a storm, though I think it might have been the phone line that did it in, as I did not wake up in time to get to it. Various friends at the same height have lost game consoles, a school not terribly far away and not too much lower had a nice incident a while back as well which made for cool photos from the lighting ring when that provided the best path to ground.

As far as I can tell surge protectors do little other than frustrate ethernet over powerline and maybe provide an insurance policy in some cases that is bastard hard to claim from, and some modern ones also include auto power off which really sucks when you have your TV and cable box plugged into one. By the time you get anywhere near needing one you probably have any gear that would benefit is behind a big boy UPS that does double conversion.

joyoshi likes this.
  7. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    Heh, I plug in my portable devices when I think a storm is approaching, then unplug them when it does come. That way, they'll be charged for when the power goes out. :P

weatMod, SomeGamer and joyoshi like this.
  8. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Hungary
    Same here!

9. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    i actually had a computer and a ps2 dying because a thunderstorm...
    the thunder hit an electricity post or very close to one.. it fried several lightbulbs and like i said, my ps2 and computer where gone..

so if you are afraid of loosing your devices like your phone or laptop, unplug them..

ps: i don't remember if my washing machines or other stuff broke..
    but i remember neighbors refrigerator, tv and other appliances that died..

but it really depends on the place you live and how "outdated" is your neighboor in general, i mean.. i live in a somewhat rural area and in a old holse, my house doesn't even have "ground" connection

Last edited by migles, Jun 4, 2016
  10. Minox

Minox Spytech Employee

Supervisor
    Aug 27, 2007
    Sweden
    Yep, you should. I've had a GPU and monitor fry due to a thunderstorm happening when I was sleeping and it wasn't a nice experience having to buy new ones just due to that.

11. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I unplug them.
    Most of the things I have are connected to plugboxes anyway.

12. migles

Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    that reminds me.. that also happened to my GPU... when that happened i had recently purchased a good one.. after the thunderstorm i had to get a new motherboard, gpu, and "power thing"
    IIRC the HDD ram and cpu survived...
    after the thunderstorm i ended up getting a pc "downgrade".. cuz i already had spent money on that build.. i had to get cheaper parts..

Last edited by migles, Jun 4, 2016
  13. Minox

Minox Spytech Employee

Supervisor
    Aug 27, 2007
    Sweden
    In my case the PSU seemingly saved most components in my computer from frying, but the GPU which was hooked up to the monitor wasn't quite as lucky.

14. shaunj66

shaunj66 Administrator

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    United Kingdom
    South England
    I do but then again I don't invest in surge protectors and thunderstorms are fairly uncommon around here.

15. Youkai

Youkai Demon

Jul 1, 2004
    Germany
    Germany , NRW
    never unplugged anything except for when I travel and won't be home for some weeks ...

I believe there are more than enough protections build in the homes nowadays, never heard from anyone around me that any of their electronics died because of a thunder storm ...

16. Judas18

Judas18 Queen Kunty

Jul 30, 2011
    England
    Thunderstorms aren't too common in England unfortunately so I just leave everything in the plugs.

17. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    I never unplug everything during a thunderstorm. The thunderstorm and lightning are here all the time mostly during the spring and summer time. I don't unplug everything. You should but No. It doesn't effected any problem with me. Never in my all life. Hope not. Seriously, all my life. Never happened.

Last edited by azoreseuropa, Jun 4, 2016
  18. migles

Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    you heard about me and minox now

19. Touko White

Touko White (not)Banned

Jan 12, 2016
    United Kingdom
    I don't do that, simply because it won't blow up, and it hasn't, as of yet.
    However, I do unplug anything on charge, for some reason.

20. nxwing

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    I unplug everything I can. My old HD TV broke when I was in the hospital but it wasn't plugged in. It probably broke due to being connected to a DVR via HDMI that was still plugged on the wall. Surprisingly, my other TV that others were using is still workong perfectly fine.