Do you think the internet has too many ads?

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
Without an ad blocker?

Abso-fucking-lutely.

Now, I haven't seen an ad in years ever since I installed uBlock Origin and started using YouTube Vanced and such. But every time I have to turn them off, I'm reminded of why I installed them in the first place. Modern advertising is a mess of pop-ups, tracking cookies, redirection, malware, and dark patterns. The only ads I like are those I specifically opt-into, like some email lists I'm on. I really only have uBO disabled for one site anymore.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't think there are more ads than there used to be but they have become more annoying and stalk you across the web. If not for the last part i would probably whitelist some sites but if they abuse it to collect data about me then no. Not gonna turn off uBlock Origin. The risk is not high but ad networks can also distribute malware. Another reason to block them.

Also if you often use slower devices like a Raspberry Pi or an old PC you pretty much have to block them or the browser will crawl.

Reactions: BigOnYa

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Since ads contain the ability to contain malware, I will fight tooth and nail to always block ads, everywhere, 100% of the time, on every platform I can. And as a user of hardware, I should have the choice to 100% opt-out of ALL ads and ad traffic if desired.
Post automatically merged:

no.

the other option is paying to use websites. what if they was a amount you payed for every website you used.
There is, it's called my internet access bill I pay every month.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
There is, it's called my internet access bill I pay every month.

No i mean where you pay for your internet access plus on top you pay for the websites you visit. where you have to buy packages on the certain website you can visit. which funds them.

but no ads.

i mean if a website has too much ads and you dont like it. dont use it.

Reactions: Lostbhoy

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Too many ads everywhere, not just the net but @Flame makes a good point. THAT is the flip side of the argument... Lol, I do wonder now what would happen if that became a reality. Probably will eventually so enjoy your free browsing people while it lasts.

This post was brought to you by Barrs Irn Bru. It's the new water.
irn-bru (1).jpg

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: BigOnYa and Flame
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
i mean if a website has too much ads and you dont like it. dont use it.
"The air is too dirty, don't breathe it."
Yes, not exactly the same thing, but you get my point.
Mean, if there is a site I like and use a lot, I don't mind giving it my support every now and then, say by just sending some cash their way or what.

Myself I would be fine with ads if they were just, like... silent banners that are on the side of a page and aren't obtrusive, then sure, I wouldn't be using an adblocker at all, I could just ignore them.
But as someone that grew up back when just an ad showing up could give you malware bad enough to brick your PC... nah, I ain't risking it anymore. Afaik, it doesn't really happen nowadays, but some ads get so much in the way that basically makes some pages or site unuseable. How can anyone be fine with that?

Also most ads are on such a moronic level of stupidity that just seeing them mentally hurts you. Fuck that noise.
Also also fuck ads before and during a video you're watching. I stopped watching tv to stop seeing ads in the middle of something I'm fucking watching, ugh.

Reactions: BigOnYa

burningup

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yes. However, it’s not just the ads, it’s the fact that Google and Facebook’s ad business duopoly ruined the internet as a whole and turned everything into a SEO arms race. Just look at CNET and their “articles” penned by AI. Online creativity and integrity are slowly becoming a niche rather than the norm.

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How come everytime I let BananaJuan stay over and use my PC, the next time I search the web after him, there are tons of Male enhancement pill ads, in Spanish?

Reactions: BlazeMasterBM

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just earlier I tried using Chrome to download a webcam program and the amount of ads were insufferable. Once I went back to Brave it was so much better and cleaner!

Reactions: BlazeMasterBM

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
Just earlier I tried using Chrome to download a webcam program and the amount of ads were insufferable. Once I went back to Brave it was so much better and cleaner!
You could also just install uBlock Origin in Chrome.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1