• Total voters

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
[sarcasm]Well, I'm sorry if agreeing with you and keeping with your sense of humor is not my highest priority. You seem to have plenty of others to cater to that.[/sarcasm]

Sarcasm tags just in case... [sarcasm] Because Eastern humor apparently doesn't mesh well with Western humor... but I digress.[/sarcasm]

Reactions: Black-Ice

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[sarcasm]Well, I'm sorry if agreeing with you and keeping with your sense of humor is not my highest priority. You seem to have plenty of others to cater to that.[/sarcasm]

Sarcasm tags just in case... [sarcasm] Because Eastern humor apparently doesn't mesh well with Western humor... but I digress.[/sarcasm]

6p4gI.jpg

Ethevion

Wannabe Artist
Trophies
Website
www.lvlupart.com
XP
Country
Canada
I like the idea of Pokemon, but the games are just stale now. Loved R/B/Y, really loved G/S/C, liked R/S/E, got bored of D/P/Pt, hated B/W, haven't tried B2/W2. Don't get me wrong, there are some interesting things added to the newer games, but the overall game was just boring. I still have respect for the idea of Pokemon though.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really, folks? We're getting this bent out of shape over Pokemon? Aren't there wars, sexual preferences and racism to argue over?

Stop being douche bags -- that's an order! :whip:

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
For its target audience (casual gamers and kids), Pokemon is overrated.
For people who are into gameplay with deep mechanics, Pokemon is heavily underrated.

EDIT:
  • Wars the player wages against criminal syndicates
  • Furries who get off to Pokemon hentai
  • Jynx was accused of portraying blackface
How's that GeekyGuy? :rolleyes:

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Yeah because getting those IV's, EV training, and breeding is just so very exciting.
And getting every Monster/Blue attack for your materia in Final Fantasy VII is a fucking bore, and raising your GF's synch rates to max for each character in Final Fantasy VIII is such a bore, and making sure every single piece of equipment you use in Borderlands 2 is legendary-level is such a bore, etc.

I haven't bred a single pokemon or even looked at the IVs/EVs of my current team in White, and I'm playing through just fine. Beat the elite four, working on making my way to the other cities and seeing what else has unlocked.

Originally IV/EVs weren't even visible, and they currently aren't directly visible without outside tools anyways (the game just gives small hints at which IV's are high/low and if a pokemon's EVs are full in total or for a specific stat), they're not intended to be messed with by the average person.

Also breeding is a main function in the form of getting more pokemon to trade away. In the original series it was really damned hard to get a squirtle if you started with charmander because you'd need somebody else to start a new game, play until they can trade, and not level up their starter and then give it to you... with breeding it's not a concern, you can breed extra copies of pretty much any pokemon for trading, or re-raising something, or evolving it down a different path, etc.

You can quote to me the many changes and other stuff but the main game is pretty much the same only with more annoying shit added (as Guild stated)
Last I checked the definition of an annoyance is something you're required to do that just impedes your progress. You're not required to mess with IVs/EVs. In fact IVs aren't even directly visible without third-party save-hacking tools last I checked... this is because IVs and EVs are intended to be a background thing, part of the game's engine.

and to be honest you can just play the same way as in the first game
Which is why complaining about IVs and EVs is bullshit. :P

because there is little to no challenge anyway.
Compared to Gen-I, the game has gotten a good bit harder.

In Gen-I trainers were rather stupid, they only used items if specifically programmed to (and it only popped up a few times), they wouldn't switch out for weaknesses/resistances (the only time you saw a switch was with the juggler class, and that was just random as a joke on the fact that they were juggling the balls, it wasn't a strategic at all), they used random moves, you didn't need to worry about abilities, etc.

By the time of Gen-V trainers have gotten smarter. Items aren't limited to a few key players, and trainers use them when needed. Trainers will switch out a pokemon that might get creamed by yours, and they will actively try to exploit weaknesses (have a water-type against an electric, expect the opponent to use almost nothing but electric moves), their movesets aren't just "whatever this pokemon has at this level", you can't tell what ability a pokemon has (some, like Sap Sipper, will completely ignore the damage of an entire type of attacks and get a stat boost instead which can really be a surprise at a bad time), and more.

That's not to say that the game's hard, but there's some situations that can kick your ass as a surprise. Anybody remember that pair of trainers in Emerald near the end of Victory Road that would pull out a girafarig and a slaking... and then have the grafarig take away slaking's "truant" ability? That fight in Gen-III was a sign that they were designing harder situations as time went on.

I tried B&W for a few hours only to find it being even more tedious and repetitive than before
Really? Howso? I've found B/W to be the least tedious. Use a recovery item and you stay in the pokemon screen so you can use multiple of them without having to constantly switch, HMs are rarely, if ever, needed for main progress (making HM slaves much less required), TMs are infinite-use instead of being their own megalixer, etc.

What about 3DS? I think this is the perfect platform to stop using sprites and start using 3D models.
What do you think?
The 3DS would have no problem with it, and it's what people are hoping for.

The mechanics of EV and IVs are tedious. Amazingly tedious.
So what?
  • Figuring out that Mario's horizontal speed in Super Mario World for the SNES isn't a constant value and instead changes between 48, 47, 48, 47, and 49 and will stop on the current value when you jump and stop holding the direction key in order to try to jump at a speed of 49 units per second instead of 47 units per second to complete a level faster is boring tedious crap.

How come nobody bitches about that? Oh, it's because it's not needed to actually play the game normally.

• Figuring out that back-hopping and side-hopping in Ocarina Of Time are faster form of movement than running forward so you can just hop everywhere to get there faster is boring and a chore.

How come nobody bitches about that? Oh, it's because it's not needed to actually play the game normally.

• Figuring out that pressing L or R while samus is running in Super Metroid actually pushes her sprite forward by one pixel each time so you can constantly trigger these while running in order to move faster... that's a chore.

I could go on.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Last I checked the definition of an annoyance is something you're required to do that just impedes your progress. You're not required to mess with IVs/EVs. In fact IVs aren't even directly visible without third-party save-hacking tools last I checked... this is because IVs and EVs are intended to be a background thing, part of the game's engine.

You can use IV calculators like this:
http://www.serebii.net/games/iv-calcdp.shtml

There is no need to use save-hacking tools,
you only need info that are already in the game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)