Do you think a PS1/PSX emulator would be possible?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by DutchyDutch, Aug 8, 2015.

1. DutchyDutch
    OP

DutchyDutch COPYRIGHT LOLOLOLOL

Nov 16, 2014
    Netherlands
    I know, another one of these threads. But I think this one makes sense. Even smea said it:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    I think it would be awesome to play nostalgic titles like Spyro (my favorite PS1 franchise), Crash Bandicoot and Rayman etc on the 3DS!

Do you think it's possible? Are you intrested in coding it? Or neither? Share it in a reply.

Margen67 and MAXLEMPIRA like this.
  2. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    I do not think a PS1 emulator would work very good on the 3ds. The best bet forhandled ps1 games is to run them on a PS Vita using TN-X rather than waiting on an emulator.

3. Rinnegatamante

Rinnegatamante GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 24, 2014
    Italy
    Bologna
    If a PS1 emulator ever appear on 3DS, you must be very lucky to get at least basic games like Kula World to be played with 20-25 fps.
    Don't expect to get big titles like Final Fantasy IX and similar playable.

Margen67 and RodrigoDavy like this.
  4. Asia81

Asia81 In my Ecchi World <3

Nov 15, 2014
    France
    Albi
    Xena Warrior Princess <3

Arubaro likes this.
  5. DutchyDutch
    OP

Nov 16, 2014
    Netherlands
    So you mean games like the first Rayman? I'm fine with that, theres enough fun ''basic'' ps1 games out there.
    P.S: Don't like Final Fantasy anyways :)

6. DarkFlare69

DarkFlare69 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    Slow and laggy

7. DutchyDutch
    OP

Nov 16, 2014
    Netherlands
    Think it depends on the game.

8. DarkFlare69

DarkFlare69 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    All games would be. Look at the PS1 specs compared to SNES, GBA, or NES.

9. DutchyDutch
    OP

Nov 16, 2014
    Netherlands
    No shit it will run worse. But I'm not saying the first build would be good.

10. Satan2k

Satan2k Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 23, 2008
    Belgium
    I don't think it's possible to have decent emulation. Even with the full hardware access, it would be a crazy task.

Both console have nothing in common. So here are the reasons that came into my mind :
    - CPU Limitations : the ARM core is pretty much slow and even if you somehow get access to both core, you'll run into other troubles : a multi core attempt could potentially run slower and cause thread locks...
    - Ram Limitations : 64MB is pretty much low for High Level Emulation (HLE), even if you somehow get access to the full 128MB bank, if you want to use a dynamic recompiler (the only possible way to get decent speed), you'll run out of memory rapidly
    - Sound : 3DS can use very easely the DSP inside but making an emulator using it is very hard, due to lack of documentation.
    - Button Mapping : how would you deal with the L2 / R2 triggers unless you have a circlepad?
    - GPU : we barely know nothing about the PICA and how it handles the work, we don't even have decent opengl lib ported to work with. And HLE would be the only "plausible" solution when you're taking in account the lack of raw CPU power.

So to summarize :
    - Only HLE with dynarec possible, even there, the speed could be unsufficient
    - Button Mapping would be garbage

Yeah i know poeple will rant and say : there's one on the wii, but let's face it :
    - Wii had really more CPU raw power
    - Wii had more memory (64+24) and on the 3DS, unless you'll get the full access of the hardware you'll end un with only 64MB
    - Wii had lots of documentation about GX due to the good community support behind the gamecube, so basically the GPU wasn't the biggest issue there (and moreover it's really more powerful than the one shipped inside the 3DS)

I wouldn't say it's impossible; i saw lots of clever guys making crazy things around here, but don't expect one to be done during this year, even in the next coming year.

MarkDarkness likes this.
  11. zbw2000

zbw2000 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 28, 2014
    United States
    even the new 3ds would probably struggle to play most games

12. Selim873

Selim873 Nunnayobeesnes

Jul 31, 2010
    United States
    Chillin' with Bob Ross
    I'm going to agree with Smea on this one.

13. Odnetnin46

Odnetnin46 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 12, 2011
    United States
    Some basement
    I'd say it's plausible. Looking back, the PS1 had some pretty paltry specs (a whopping 33MHz processor and 3MB of RAM total!) that I'm sure the 3DS breaks the law of 10x for. Of course, the scene as a whole would need to evolve first since lots of basic documentation and libraries are missing.

14. Satan2k

Satan2k Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 23, 2008
    Belgium
    Again, we'll say it once again : it has nothing to do with Mhz... By example, even a SNES with close to perfect emulation needs a 3GHZ X86 computer :-) In our case we'll just be glad enough with HLE and a dynamic recompiler, which will work for 95% of the titles even with unprecise emulation. BUT, the arm11 in the 3DS is really slow and the memory is really low.

Even the raspberry pi struggled for a long time to have "decent" PSX emulation, and let's face it, the core itself is more powerful and had 4 times to 8 times more memory.

The only positive side would be the PICA200 but we barely know nothing about it. We have roughly a first attempt to implement opengl on it (i looked on other topics..., i'm already impressed by this breakthrough)

Moreover I never said it would be impossible. You could potentially emulate any type of console with any type of hardware: but you'll end up to have <1 fps. You really need a powerfull hardware and tricks (or skills) to gain execution time and get close to the original framerate. I think we could have PS1 emulator on 3DS, but the emulation quality, even with best effort put on it, would look like garbage.

I'm open if someone more clever would prove us I'm wrong, but for now, I'm waiting about proofs and facts :-)

EDIT : example on pandora clocked at 900Mhz, don't even think about 266 Mhz ARM 11 in 3DS :

Last edited by Satan2k, Aug 9, 2015
    Margen67 likes this.
  15. DutchyDutch
    OP

Nov 16, 2014
    Netherlands
    Not saying that it'll change much, but doesnt the New 3DS have 266x2 mhz? And twice the ram AND VRAM? But if i remember correctly emulators usually are single core only so that wouldnt change much I guess.

16. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    My 600mhz phone could run a PS1 emulator. I don't see why not.

Not relevant

Maximilious, Margen67 and VinsCool like this.
  17. hashcheck1

hashcheck1 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 5, 2013
    New 3ds GPU is the same only more vram and better cpu

18. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    I could see it, but it would take a lot of work if you want something playable. I doubt anyone would really want to put that much work into it, though.

19. DutchyDutch
    OP

Nov 16, 2014
    Netherlands
    But the gpu isnt that important in emulating though. It helps, but isnt the main thing. (CPU)

20. mar789

mar789 Master Italian

Jul 18, 2011
    Canada
    I feel if they ever actually got one running on the 3DS, it would never hit a good amount of compatibility and it wouldn't perform well.