Hacking Do you really need 3.55 OFW?

Gorkensnorkel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I am purchasing a new ps3 slim (cech-2501b) running 3.40 OFW and plan on installing the latest CFW ("Rebug 4.76.1-LITE– Cobra 7.1 – Toolbox 2.02.07"). It was my understanding that you first install OFW update 3.55 THEN whatever CFW you like. I was told in another post, however, that for Rebug 4.76.1-LITE– Cobra 7.1 – Toolbox 2.02.07 you do not need to install the OFW 3.55 beforehand. They said just install Rebug onto the existing factory OFW 3.40.

Is this correct? And... does anyone have a link to an "updated" or appropriate guide for installing Rebug? Many of the guides are now outdated and I really would rather not lose the $300 I just spent bricking a new ps3. Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

D

Deleted User

From the PS3HAX guide (9-10-2015) - http://www.ps3hax.net/showthread.php?t=56205

Rebug 4.75.x REX/D-REX:

If you're on a CEX FW, you have to install the REX Edition. If you're on a DEX FW, you have to install the D-REX Edition.

If you're on 3.55 or lower OFW, or a hardware flasher patched 3.56+ OFW, or any 4.75 or lower CFW, you can install Rebug 4.75.x REX/D-REX from XMB by following the guide below:

1- Install Rebug 4.75.x REX/D-REX from XMB:
Download the latest Rebug REX/D-REX from the link above, verify the md5 hash with @DEFAULTDNB's PPC+, rename the PUP to PS3UPDAT.PUP, put it on your FAT32 formatted flash drive in PS3\UPDATE, go to System Update and Update via Storage Media. Make sure there's NO original game disk in the drive, NO game is mounted and that you DON'T Update via Internet or else you would risk installing OFW >3.55!

2- Enable QA and Activate Rebug Mode:
Go to Package Manager > Install Package Files > PS3 Hard Disk and install Rebug Toolbox. Launch it under the Game column, go to Utilities and change Toggle QA Flag to Enabled. This is to ensure easier and safer downgrading. Now go to Selector and change System Mode to Rebug, this will activate the built-in spoofer to prevent accidental updates to OFW >3.55 and allow PSN access (with ban risk). You can also change XMB Operation Mode to Retail and Debug Menu Type to CEX QA to ensure you have the Retail menus instead of the Debug menus which you probably won't need.

Gorkensnorkel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you, I have been systematically going through almost every guide I find on gba and ps3hax. The problem is that there are so many varying opinions on what is needed that after a while it all starts to blur together, heh.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should be able to find a 3.55 update file somewhere about the net, I updated mine to 3.55 only because that's what I was told to do. I don;t know if I had to but I did anyways, my ps3 started new at 3.50.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: What's your thoughts?