Do you like your emulators closed source or open source?

Do you like your emulators closed source or open source?

• Total voters

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Open-source, better than a proprietary emulator that's limited to one platform or was abandoned by the developers and no one else can continue working on it.

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Open-source, better than a proprietary emulator that's limited to one platform or was abandoned by the developers and no one else can continue working on it.

Would an emulator like Cemu happened without it being closed source? without it asking for patreon?

Having closed or open source =\= more betterer

open source is just nice

damn makes no sense.

@Louse =\= brain

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Would an emulator like Cemu happened without it being closed source? without it asking for patreon?
I'm sure it would have still happened. We somehow have an open-source Switch emulator, more people can contribute code to an open-source project, and nothing stops you from taking donations and support for an open-source project.

Reactions: Flame

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
you can ask for patreon while releasing source code

I'm sure it would have still happened. We somehow have an open-source Switch emulator, more people can contribute code to an open-source project, and nothing stops you from taking donations and support for an open-source project.

lol. open source code emu with patreon is like $69 a month on average. which is nice i suppose. i even help a few. i wish people donated more.

i remember when Cemu was almost 1000 times that

drastic ds has been download 1 million times at least and cost $5

Louse

go play rez
Trophies
Website
www.h.com
XP
Country
United States
lol. open source code emu with patreon is like $69 a month on average. which is nice i suppose. i even help a few. i wish people donated more.

melonds is better. checkmate libtard

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

And what reason exactly is there for Cemu having so much more support in money? The program is still free to download and use, isn't it? I don't think open-source vs. closed-source matters to the average user if they even understand what it means. If it's the dumb thing with locking updates behind a paywall, you could technically also do that with open-source projects under the right license. There's also something that can be considered more valuable than monetary contributions, people from all around the world spending their free time out of their own will to make valuable code contributions that improve the emulator for everyone.

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
And what reason exactly is there for Cemu having so much more support in money? The program is still free to download and use, isn't it? I don't think open-source vs. closed-source matters to the average user if they even understand what it means. If it's the dumb thing with locking updates behind a paywall, you could technically also do that with open-source projects under the right license. There's also something that can be considered more valuable than monetary contributions, people from all around the world spending their free time out of their own will to make valuable code contributions that improve the emulator for everyone.

tenor.gif

im just being the devil's advocate

Last edited by Flame,

Uiaad

GBAtemp's resident guinea pig
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's a tough decision on the one hand if you have a closed source, it can allow devs to keep a tight code base and focus on more important / code optimisation leading to a better overall product. but it is harder to take on new devs to the team especially if the person is a bit of an unknown and could possibly splash the source around like happy hour at a whore house

On the other hand, Open source projects have the benefits that anyone can modify the code freely and can quickly gain traction, but there is that unknown factor where people will start adding silly, unnecessary features early on that can slow down overall development and leave to an unfocused messy codebase. And of course, there are always people and companies out there that will try and use the project in ways that fly in the face of any licence you may slap on it and try and profit off the hard work of people

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
closed source emulators can be like tears in a rain. never to be updated to work on a new system with better features and security.

im looking at you Kega Fusion

a9ddde38f5adafe6d277c268bf462836.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/34203/Tomb_Raider_Definitive_Survivor_Trilogy/ mmm