Hardware Do you like the 3DS's 3D feature?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 3,615
  • Replies 31
D

Deleted User

OP
I have an O3DS and an N3DS. I gave up on the 3D effect on the O3DS because the sweet spot is too small; if you move your hands slightly, you'll start seeing double. It was a gimmick which sounded cool but failed in practice. It wasted developers' time because they had to make the 3D effect look nice to get better reviews, but gamers rarely actually used the 3D feature.

On the N3DS, the super-stable 3D is great. Unless you play with your face at some silly angle to the screen, the 3D effect just works. It became a useful feature which, used effectively, improves games' presentation. It's a shame Nintendo themselves game up on the 3D effect. Aside from the obvious 2DS and N2DS, the Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga remake didn't even support 3D. I hope (probably in vain) that the highly probable Switch Pro will include super-stable stereoscopic 3D.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've always liked the 3d effect on the 3ds, and tend to only turn it off if I need to conserve battery life.
Yes, it could get a bit annoying on the O3ds (occassionally to the point of disabling the feature), but on the N3ds it's superb.
I still think it was a massive missed opportunity by Nintendo not to rerelease VirtualBoy titles in 3d on the 3ds virtualconsole.

Last edited by duwen,

toxic9

Trophies
XP
Country
I love the 3D feature.
I dislike releasing "lite" versions of consoles... with lack of features like 2DS...
If you don't need 3D, you turn it off.
When the next gen comes up, we will have a Switch with no wifi, no removable joycons, no dockable, no usb port, no gamecard slot...
it comes with 30 built in games... just to lower costs...

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It is an interesting technology and I'm a bit sad it did not get developed further (e.g. higher resolution). "3D" is a bit of a buzzword that comes up every few decades "This time for real!" but it almost always requires some kind of glasses (polarizing, shutter…) and I don't like that. Autostereoscopy is not widely spread (other than the 3DS systems). I would really like more 3D devices – without glasses. Yes, this is complex/difficult for multi-view systems.

It may be a gimmick, but gaming consoles as such are a for having fun. For me it adds some fun and I have it on in most games that support it. If the remake of Luigi's Mansion didn't have this "gimmick" (some later games, as OP mentioned, came without 3D feature) I would never have bought the game as it does not add much to the GC version.

Sitting in a bus (or even outside), where there is much light, makes it hard to see 3D pictures and this is the only case where I turn 3D off.

I dislike releasing "lite" versions of consoles... with lack of features like 2DS...
To be fair the O2DS may be ugly with it's doorstop design and you certainly notice it's the low budget variant – repairability is not as good, but it is a quite robust construction. If you do not have much money, or for a smaller child not yet very careful, it is a valid alternative in my opinion.
When the next gen comes up, we will have a Switch with no wifi, no removable joycons, no dockable, no usb port, no gamecard slot...
it comes with 30 built in games... just to lower costs...
Not as exaggerated as it sounds. Wii Mini… No WiFi, no SD slot, GameCube functions had been removed even earlier with the RVL-101.

crea

Trophies
XP
Country
Lesotho
I simply love the 3D feature! It amazes me again every time I play.

Also I think the effect is almost fine even on the old 3DS. Agreed, it takes a little effort, so to say. For kids it was too much to handle.
The normal 3DS XL because of screen size, was too finicky. I own one, but it gets tough sometimes when I just want to chill and have to concentrate on holding it right...

But the New 3DS XL on the other hand... corrected this mistake and made it perfect. It works nearly flawless and is such bliss. For me, this is the pinnacle of handheld gaming.

Nintendo proved beyond a doubt they are the top (handheld) makers, because they take risks as this.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yes (though only to 60% or so since I had eye surgery), even on the O3DS it was acceptable though of course it's a lot more comfortable with eye tracking

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Of course I do, it was the selling point of it for me. I can still remember how mind-blowing was the moment when you first turn on the console and the calibration screen shows the 3DS Logo popping out and in from the screen with the regressive counting and all. Such an unforgettable moment.

Objection

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really enjoy the 3D effect, to the point where it's a big driving force behind wanting to upgrade to a N3DSXL.

Only thing really holding me back is the pain of transferring all my stuff to a new system.
I'm sure it's not too bad in practice, but I have a 128GB SD card that is nearly full with CFW and I'm a little nervous about the process.

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, it just feels uncomfortable to me. I do have sensitive eyes though. It's a nice feature and idea, but what you can do with it atleast on the 3ds line is eh imo

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an O3DS and an N3DS. I gave up on the 3D effect on the O3DS because the sweet spot is too small; if you move your hands slightly, you'll start seeing double. It was a gimmick which sounded cool but failed in practice. It wasted developers' time because they had to make the 3D effect look nice to get better reviews, but gamers rarely actually used the 3D feature.

On the N3DS, the super-stable 3D is great. Unless you play with your face at some silly angle to the screen, the 3D effect just works. It became a useful feature which, used effectively, improves games' presentation. It's a shame Nintendo themselves game up on the 3D effect. Aside from the obvious 2DS and N2DS, the Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga remake didn't even support 3D. I hope (probably in vain) that the highly probable Switch Pro will include super-stable stereoscopic 3D.
Depends the game honestly certain games had really good 3d but later titles rushing it or didnt do it at all

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I like it, it's not a huge thing but I found myself missing it when the Pokemon games didn't have it. I always had it on even on the o3DS, even though it was annoying because I had to play in a certain position and always focus on staying perfectly still and even then small micromovements would move the console out of the sweet spot, after a while I would get so used to seeing double that it would take me a minute to readjust.

On the n3DS it works well, close to perfect.

Nothing ever really needed the 3D effect except Super Mario 3D Land and you could still play that without 3D, just some of the puzzles would be more difficult. It just makes the games slightly more immersive. A lot of people seem to hate 3D for some reason and I can agree that it's often done poorly especially in movies (a lot of movies aren't even filmed in 3D just converted afterwards because 3D cameras cost more... fucking cheapskates), but it always seemed to work really well for animated movies which makes sense, and in games the rendering is done in full 3D anyway, so it works pretty well there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    StatusN @ StatusN: does anyone have a friend seed link to a seed that isnt already banned and is new, if anyone...