Do you know good places to find Pixel Artists?

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
umm, Is there other places? I dont have a job and I'm downloading roms with Dial up internet connection, I cant pay the artist.

Would you please tell me other alternatives?

jeklnoo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
you probably aren't gonna get much help. here's what your request sounds like to me:

"i'm not satisfied with stealing work that's already been done, i want people to do custom work for me for free as well"

Awdofgum

Wadofgum
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jeklnoo said:
you probably aren't gonna get much help. here's what your request sounds like to me:

"i'm not satisfied with stealing work that's already been done, i want people to do custom work for me for free as well"

i'm sure there's someone out there that would enjoy helping him out just to be credited for their work in the game.
as for a certain place, i'm sorry, but i'll look

Edit: You could try Here

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
I donno why it sounded like that to you and why you suppose that I stole anything but as I see everyday, there are programmers who work with pixel artists and music writers and stuff.

If you think I'm not with current graphics and you think I stole mario as my protagonist, I must remind you that this is the engine I'm developing and I used other's graphic just to test the logic inlying but now that engine is going to get finished in no time, I was searching for original graphic for the game I'm making with this engine.

I hope that clarifies things and misunderstandings.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
You're going to have a lot of trouble finding someone. Unless you track down someone who's still learning spriting, wants something to work on but isn't confident enough to take on a real project.

I can't believe there isn't a small archive out there of practice stock sprites made for homebrew authors. This problem must come up a lot with programmers just starting out, but I'm damned if I can find one.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
thnx Psyfira, I found some sprites but I wanted someone to discuss with and draw for our project, not using some archived sprites.

I think if I make a blog about my game or finally put up my web site and dedicated a place for my game, it will draw more attention and people are more willing to work if I announce it at deviant or other places.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't want to curb your enthusiasm because it's great that you're so into this, don't lose that drive but to be honest, in this case you're being a little overambitious. This isn't a full-scale "project", it's a classroom exercise. Programmers have folders full of them, just because you get a working program at the end doesn't automatically mean it's a "release". You're making this up as you go along. Projects have more planned out from the start, it's not a project until you can write a short essay about decisions you've had to make whilst stucturing the code (I'm talking like why you've used certain data structures, not where to put a ladder), and if you try to use it in a portfolio that's exactly the kind of questions they'll be asking.

Just be patient, you've got more than enough motivation to keep learning, once you know the language a little better you'll get there
smile.gif

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
Maybe its a classroom project where you live (and I'm still yet to see a good flash platform game, beside N) but here no one has any game around, beside stupid board games in their stash of game dev and since there is no game dev industry here or anyone to talk or work, its great for me and no one in our university even bothered with making games.

I do respect you Psyfira but I think you a little under-rated my work, Maybe it doesnt show itself but I spent alot of time on it, much much more than a class room exercise and even at its current stage of development, it is capable of being release as a game, maybe it will not be the best platform out there, but it is something that when I release, our newspapers will talk about it since no one ever done anything like this, all of whats done is half written codes of C++ and openGL.

and about the language you suggested, I already know C++/C#/VB/etc but I selected Flash for other reasons, to stay away from graphic handling that learning them will just make me slow, which did for most people I know and they stuck at openGL forever and never reached for game logic cuz preparing the scene for the game logic is tremendous work and for me that I want to learn game logic, it was not necessary.

and I do have planning, if you look at my TODO list and changelogs, you see every little detail is documented there, I even have some bug codes for future references, maybe I dont have a solid release date for my game, thus even Blizzard don't, but since I'm currently doing other stuff beside this, keeping this up is already a tremendous work for me.

For me (and alot of people that I know of), writing this game is like developing Quake 3 Arena for John Carmak, its really hard for me and takes alot of time and energy and since I'm getting at bottom of my todo list for this game (since I moved some to later versions), I was going to find some artists to work on graphics parallely when I'm working on finishing the todo list and polishing the game.

thats all.

And I thank you again for your caring toward me and my future as I see it here and in testing the game itself whenever I released a new version.

techforumz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you get the game written, then could you put some blank or demo sprites. If you'd send me the demo sprites (for identification purposes), and a linux version of the game (for reference as to where...) I will try to make you a small set. I'm not the best, but I can do pretty good with GIMP and Blender. I made my own wallpaper entitled 'nuclear plasma' with Blender. No guarantees, but I will try. If I'm not still on GBATemp, then I'm afraid you'll have to get someone else. A PM will get my attention, assuming I use GBATemp regularly then.

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Don't take this the wrong way:
No one that can sprite will even consider making sprites for a Mario fan game. If they even would give it a thought, they have thousands of other Mario fan games they could sprite for.

Also, if the link you posted is any example of the current state of your "project", it is nothing special, no matter what university you go to. Jumping, ladders, and invincible enemies that don't fall off ledges isn't anything "major"

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
techforumz said:
When you get the game written, then could you put some blank or demo sprites. If you'd send me the demo sprites (for identification purposes), and a linux version of the game (for reference as to where...) I will try to make you a small set. I'm not the best, but I can do pretty good with GIMP and Blender. I made my own wallpaper entitled 'nuclear plasma' with Blender. No guarantees, but I will try. If I'm not still on GBATemp, then I'm afraid you'll have to get someone else. A PM will get my attention, assuming I use GBATemp regularly then.

Thank you, your response was so heart warming.
have u seen the current version? please visit the first post of this topic and see the TODO list and the current state of project.

QUOTE(myuusmeow @ Mar 25 2008, 07:46 AM) Don't take this the wrong way:
No one that can sprite will even consider making sprites for a Mario fan game. If they even would give it a thought, they have thousands of other Mario fan games they could sprite for.

Also, if the link you posted is any example of the current state of your "project", it is nothing special, no matter what university you go to. Jumping, ladders, and invincible enemies that don't fall off ledges isn't anything "major"

Its not a mario fan game, I used mario as a temporary sprite.
and for the "enemies that dont fall", if you just see the first few seconds of my game, you can see two twisty's that go right and fall 2 times.

TheStump

Got Wood?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
hmm, not to sound rude man, but Psyfira is absolutely right. You development process seems to be really "underdeveloped". It really looks like you haven't sat down and planned what you are doing, eg. Story, Original Code, Characters, Enemy, Target Audience etc. those are just really simple ones of the top of my head.

Also you said you haven't seen any good Platformer games in Flash. I really don't think you have researched you medium well enough my friend. Even browsing Newgrounds would prove you wrong.

Now don't get me wrong, i think its great that your doing this project, but to be really honest, Psyfira was being 'nice' and truthful, but i'll be a little harsher to get the point across. You are thinking way ahead of yourself, if like you say, your game 'engine' is near completion then your have some serious considerations to make. From mostly everyone's point of view besides yours, this game is generic, underdeveloped, confusing, buggy, and looks like it was made over a weeks time. Now i understand you are learning still and thats fine, but you are approaching this project as if someone is going to actually buy it and people are going to talk about it in your newspaper. Tell me how your would possibly publicize it and get people to notice it. This is just one of the things you are lacking, marketing.

Basically what i am seeing is; a tweaked existing code (which you have still failed to site), with popular generic graphics, pointless gameplay and poorly executed.

Im saying this to you now because thats what i see, i'm not going to be your mom and say you did a good job, i'd rather you hear it from an random then getting blasted by someone when you try to pitch it to them to publish it, or even as folio work.

I've looked at your todo list ands it seems to be missing things like UI, heath bars, alternate enemy sizes and stats, a concept etc.
Even little things that when looking at your project it shows you haven't really sat down and planned. You are just winging it, which is why not many people are taking your game seriosuly.

Good luck, none the less, but as Psyfira said you are still learning, don't expect this game to sell or even have custom sprites made for it. First finish your concept developing stages before you even bother with coding an engine. If you want some help with indy developing, maybe you should talk to GBAtemp's member TakaM., he is currently in the process of making a 2D platformer game based on Twinsen (from an old PC title Little Big Adventure). http://takam.wordpress.com/downloads/

He might be willing to give you a few pointers. ("might")

techforumz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, well, what do you want? I thought it was a real game. It looks promising, but I don't care too much for flash games. I'll try to make you something just the same. If I may, though, the levels are completely unorganized. Sorry, but it's the truth. And the way you CAN'T jump on Goombas like on ALL mario games (except SMB2, which sucked), is really confusing. My suggestion, grab some paper, and draw out all your levels, then put them in your Flash program.

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
test84 said:
and for the "enemies that dont fall", if you just see the first few seconds of my game, you can see two twisty's that go right and fall 2 times.
I meant the enemies that don't fall as a "feature", not like it was absent.

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    That Dell data breach is worse than people probably realize....
    When I worked for Dell we had access to data about military contracts and addresses for high ranking people.
    I personally handled a call from the second highest person at Raytheon. That call bothered me a lot... The guy was nice and smart what bothered me was the way management basically just blew him off instead of going the extra mile to help him.
    In the end that call ended up costing Dell millions in lost contracts with Raytheon, and really the issue could have been solved for like 450 bucks lol
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    sometimes I wonder why anyone would ever buy mega man x legacy collection 2
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I always thought that capcom shuffled the games in these collection, but apparently they are all in chronological order, which makes legacy collection 2 worthless
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i want to start singing pirate metal songs and sea shanties if i play sea of thieves
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    find a pirate metal playlist
    +2
    and sing along
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nevermind i just learned swearing is against the rules in sea of thieves

i was about to start singing the song i last put in "what song are you currently listening to" yesterday
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but yeah ig so
    swearing not allowed in a pirate game? what has the world come to
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (here's the song for context)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just add -izle to the end of every curse word, you will be fine.
    +2
    i like alestorm
    +1
    @BigOnYa too many syllables
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    same lmao
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    hi, welcome to the Temp!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Welcome to the Underground!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    the booty boogie from (once again) the donkey kong country cartoon could also be a good song to sing while playing sea of thieves
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Please insert 25 cents for an additional 30 minutes of talk time.
    +2
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG7fk_DUz5g +1