Do you know good places to find Pixel Artists?

silent sniper

!dennaB
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Twiffles said:
Hmmm, I got a place. Love the sprites the guys make here. http://pixeltendo.net/
DON'T go to pixeltendo. those guys are a bunch of faggots.

go to www.spriters-resource.com and use their forums. Pixeltendo WAS spriters resources forums at a time, but since the place became a shithole filled with pricks, Dazz (tSR's webmaster) decided to create a new forum, it's a nicer place, less members than PT, but again, nicer.\

edit: tSR's server has been coming and going recently, try again often

EmeraldEx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
No, Silent Sniper, you're a faggot.

Don't go to Pixeltendo because they're not going to do your work FOR YOU.

If you want pixel work done either learn yourself or pay somebody.

psycoblaster

Divine
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
well first of all, graphics would come last before a finished game.
why don't you develop your game until you think it's in the final release stage, and then look for a pixel artist that is willing to redraw some sprites for you?

I mean - just think about it - if a pixel artist draws everything for you and you can't finish your game, then what was the point of the artist to make sprites for you???

wel but if you need a pixel artist, try .takaM from http://takam.wordpress.com/
he's one of the best pixel artist I have ever seen.

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
I mean no offense, but if you emailed me with this as a proposal I'd pass.
You've got a solid start to the engine, but at the moment I can't really see much of a plan behind it.

So let's get into it.
At the moment you really do have the basics, running, jumping and climbing.
First of all, they'll all require specific animations, then all those animations will require transitions such as landing, reaching the top of the ladder, turning around while standing/jumping etc.
then think about things like what if you get hurt while turning around, which direction will the players sprite revert to? Will the next time the player turns have the animation executed correctly?
For Twinsen we still don't have his movements 100% correct, there are a few small glitches that occur under specific scenarios that are tough to iron out.

Basically, you need to plan, plan, plan.
We started Twinsen with barely any plans, just about everything has changed since then, and I've had to redo pretty much everything at least twice.
It might seem easier just making it as you go, but it's much easier to have a comprehensive plan in the long run

And finally, about finding a spriter.
I think it's a bit premature to recruit anyone right now. It would take about 30 minutes to make original graphics for everything in your build so far.
When you have a complex and versatile engine I'd recommend the pixeltendo forums, just about everyone there is an amateur in highschool with plenty of free time, not everyone there is very good, but there's a handful of people with real potential.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
Thank you .Takam,
I do know what I'm gonna make but since my vision of this platform game is vague for me, whenever I see a feature somewhere in a platform game, I start adding it to my TODO list so "Maybe we need slope tiles" or "Maybe we need upward shooting" and so I'm kinda building a 2D platform engine if you want my opinion instead of my game and currently stuck for 12 days rewriting like 75% of code (which is ALOT of lines).

I know the concept of my game but can't decide between type of platform games, I personally want to make it less action and more atmospheric (because of my theme & its music) but I'm a little afraid not to be able to deliver such atmosphere with just graphic, music, sound FX and I'm adding shooting and stuff.

"I" don't think even I need scrolling but since its my first game (if you don't count my Snake with C) I think I have to do theses normal enemy things that I dont really want.

I'm sure you know David Cage (the guy behind Fahrenheit), I'm after doing making such game, to deliver emotion and atmosphere (like Nifflas's WaDF or Knytt) rather than mario type action platformer since the thing I want to deliver is no "fun".

I know I have to sit down and define a structure for my game and follow it but I can't.
I read some articles at GamaSutra (which is recommended BADLY to anyone) but still can't find my way. I know of iterative software cycle (I'm a Software Eng.) but I have to set a first brick in order to build the rest with it and can't decide.

And since I'm so lonesome in this project, I was very happy to see you guy's posts here.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
the problem is features that I don't know to add or no, I have a big TODO list now that I don't know that my game will use them or not!

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users