Do you have resting bitch voice?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Veho, May 31, 2017.

1. Veho
    OP

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    You've probably heard of resting bitch face, where someone's neutral facial expression looks like they're scoffing or sneering or being mildly or extremely irritated by what's in front of them.

Have you also considered that you (or others) may have a resting bitch voice, where their your speaking voice sounds like you're annoyed, aloof, condescending, whiny, bitchy or some other irritating affectation? Because you might.

The problem with judging this by yourself is that you don't really hear your voice as others hear it, so you can't really judge it "live" and can't really tell. And when you record your voice (when you're singing/podcasting/screwing around, or simply to find out what your voice really sounds like) you employ a different intonation and affectations and generally don't use your natural, neutral conversational tone.

Now, a lot of people know this fact but aren't really fully aware of it. It's like the difference between knowing the Earth is round, and going to space; you "know", but you don't comprehend.

And I became fully aware of it during a recent phone call, that had an unusually clear echo of my end of the line with a one second delay, when I first got to hear my normal voice as others hear it. I had heard my voice recorded before, on a variety of media (I hated it then, too), but weird and unusual as it was to hear, it was nowhere near the nasal, annoyed whine that assaulted me from the speaker, that instantly made me want to punch the person in the face.

Problem being, the person was me.

So I quickly restricted myself to monosyllabic words and grunts, ended the conversation, and then ran to my wife (who had for years been telling me that I answer the phone like I was incredibly pissed off) and asked her to call everyone in my phonebook and apologize in my name to everyone I have ever talked to, swearing I would only communicate in instant messages from that moment forward.

The experience has faded a bit and I have since annoyed talked to a few people but my God was that irritating.

So, do you have a resting bitch voice? No? Are you sure? :ph34r:

:blank:

2. hobbledehoy899

hobbledehoy899 Conniption Master

Nov 13, 2015
    United States
    Kernel Version: Linux 4.13.3-1-zen
    I'd say that's my voice most of the time.

3. Hayleia

Hayleia GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 26, 2015
    France
    Not yet but I'm working on it.

DrkBeam, gamefan5, frogboy and 4 others like this.
  4. StarTrekVoyager

StarTrekVoyager Soon™

Jun 19, 2016
    France
    Paris
    I am exactly like that. People keep asking me "why are you screaming? Why are you annoyed?" and things like that, but I never understood that. Even my neutral facial expression is like that.

Alkéryn likes this.
  5. Alkéryn

Alkéryn Master of cookies ~

Mar 15, 2015
    France
    Albategnius, Moon
    I dont but when i'm perfectly neutral I sound and look like i'm supa angry which isn't the case
    the fun thing is that on the oposite i'm generally a really joyful guy xD
    but add to my neutral state some sleep deprivation and people would think that i'm about to murder them xD

StarTrekVoyager likes this.
  6. StarTrekVoyager

StarTrekVoyager Soon™

Jun 19, 2016
    France
    Paris
    I know exactly how you feel :P Also, funny how three French people posted in a row :o

Alkéryn likes this.
  7. Alkéryn

Alkéryn Master of cookies ~

Mar 15, 2015
    France
    Albategnius, Moon
    Yeah, didn't noticed xD
    but few people of my familly and especially my mother (even more on phone) sometime start to scream and ask me to calm down when i'm just normaly speaking
    so sometime i even have to fake expresion to seem more natural to them and that pisses me off xD

8. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I guess I sound neutral.
    @VinsCool knows how I sound both sober and tipsy.

9. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    No, the combination of some suspect genetics, years of power tools, years of concerts and years of motorbikes/silly engines have left me with something of a monotone and unemotive voice. Worst that happens is if I lose focus I can slip into creepy serial killer voice, not aided by a general lack of fillers (um, ah, zhege, er...) and my being perfectly willing to stand in complete silence.
    I occasionally get asked if I am taking the piss, this is correct but not for the reasons they think. The real answer being "are my lips moving? If so I am taking the piss".

Speaking of answering the phone I usually wait for the other person to speak as well. Really seems to wind some people up, and anybody which has good reason to call me has learned to deal with it. Bonus is I seldom give my name ("Hi I'm *" tends to be followed by "Nice to meet you.[silence]" which aggravates mostly Americans, nobody else from elsewhere in the world really cares. As aggravating Americans is one of the best sports in the world you can bet I rack up a high score there.

10. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    i thought that was an universal law or something, that when you hear yourself you always feel it's awfull and so shit that you want to punch "that person to death"
    never had anyone saying anything than "i sound so weird" or "that's my voice? omg.." etc...

never had anyone saying "woa that's my voice? i sound so great"

Last edited by migles, May 31, 2017
  11. Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2011
    United States
    I have been told I have a decent voice, I can't stand my voice though lol

I know how I sound because I have had to listen to myself repeatedly over the years in my line of work.

So yeah I know what you mean Veho, it's a bit unsettling to say the least.

12. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I sound like a sarcastic transgender donkey witch 90% of the time. My voice is not the voice one would expect for me.

13. Felek666

Felek666 Demonically Uncontrollable

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    I have a deep voice.
    I sound like 20-24 according to one Discord channel
    [It's called puberty, or something?]

And I sound sarcastic most of the time. eh...

Last edited by Felek666, May 31, 2017
  14. castdreams

castdreams Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 31, 2016
    United States
    Midwest USA
    I definitely have resting bitch voice, AND resting bitch face. I blame my super narcissistic parents for not teaching me how to communicate with people like a normal person, and my shitty genetics for making me ugly.

My friends are used to it, but I have family members and co-workers constantly asking me questions like "what's wrong?", "are you okay?", "are you mad about something?", etc even when I'm in a good mood. I guess I just look and sound like I always sound super upset.

I can "fake" a nice professional voice when I need to, from years and years of doing technical support and customer service over the phone. But I REALLY have to put a conscious effort into it.

15. Bonestorm

Bonestorm GBAtemp Fan

Jan 15, 2017
    Canada
    Midgar, Sector 5
    I have both resting bitch face and voice. Everyone always thinks I'm angry when I'm not at all.

16. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Yes, I do indeed but so does Yeezus so that is ok with me

17. B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N oh no

Jun 7, 2016
    United States
    Sixth Circle of Hell
    Eh. My voice is monotone, so I just sound bored a lot.

18. Mansize

Mansize GBATemp Hardware

GBAtemp Patron
    Mansize is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 18, 2017
    Netherlands
    Netherlands
    You know, people tend to like what they are exposed to; so others will like your voice a lot better than yourself. You can't hear your own voice like others do when you talk, so what you hear is what you are used to; and therefor that is what you like. When you hear yourself on record, it sounds different; and we tend to hate it, because it is not a) what we are used to and b) not what we expected to hear. The trick is to keep on exposing yourself to your own voice, recorded, until you get used to it; and you can even greatly influence it the way you like.

Have a deep, pleasant and friendly voice myself, and I like to sing and record it. Sometimes though, when I'm tired, I sound like a drowned rat. I press record, and only garbage horror comes out "Is that ME?" I think. It catches me unawares, but them is the breaks, I guess.

Last edited by Mansize, May 31, 2017
  19. Ferreous

Ferreous Member

Newcomer
    May 30, 2017
    United States
    I'm just a bitch.

20. Elysium420

Elysium420 Shitposting bastard

Feb 10, 2016
    Greece
    Shitville
    It's my voice in its natural state, honestly.