Do you get colllector bundle often?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Yil, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Yil
    OP

Yil GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 19, 2014
    Canada
    There are tons of games that come with merchandise in some collector edition, most recently BOTW special/ master edition. And they are really expansive especially due to low stock.

Last edited by Yil, Mar 30, 2017
  2. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Not usually no. I almost got it for Destiny and looking back, I should have. But normally no. I might get the Day 1 Edition for some fun DLC weapons or Tarot cards (in the case of Persona 4 Arena) but that's about it.

SomecallmeBerto likes this.
  3. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    The only time I bother with collectors editions is if it's a game in a series I really really like.

So far that's been the Witcher, and Dark Souls and that's it.

4. SomecallmeBerto

SomecallmeBerto The Anti-Hero

Dec 17, 2014
    United States
    USA
    I used to. The problem is after a few days the cool factor tends to wear off and it just sits there collecting dust.

Kevinpuerta likes this.
  5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Would I buy one to flip later? Sure.
    Would I buy one for me? It had better be considerably cheaper, fortunately many such things are a few months down the line when the main reason I don't buy them (lack of space I care to use for them) also troubles warehouses.

Nothing I have ever seen has been worth it at the time and anything that might have come with some DLC or something will invariably have that any bug fixes when the game of the year version hits at some point in the future. Everything ever bundled with something has been a cheap piece of tat, save for art and music which I have a perfectly functional* computer with screen and speakers to experience that with.

*usual caveats about it being my computer, me being one that knows how to use/fix them and thus will look like it is being held together with dust and wishes.

Call me a cheap, joyless bastard (add in lazy and you have the epitome of man as far as I am concerned) if you will but that would be my approach to such things.

6. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Any time it's a game I really like and want to support, definitely. Especially if it has cool/funny/interesting stuff.
    I enjoy being able to buy a collectors edition of a game and then pirate it so I can keep it pristine but still be able to play the game.

7. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Never. I get a game for the experience, not for something I consider useless junk (meaning: plastic stuff, T-shirts,...). I bought 3 game guides during my life (original c&c, sim city 2000, starcraft 2) and eventually threw these away too.

(heh...I'd throw away the extra subtitles, interviews and documentaries on DVD's as well if it wasn't attached to the movie :P )

8. Mikemk

Mikemk GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    I have never bought a collector's edition for a game, though as a kid, I had the Zelda collector's edition disk (with the windwaker demo).

I also refuse to spend $60 on a game*, so asking for more is a nope. I get games when they hit $20-30 on, sometimes (rarely) I'll spend $40.

* With two exceptions.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Please don't encourage this behavior, I hate when there's no subtitles.

9. Luckkill4u

Luckkill4u 4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jul 13, 2008
    Canada
    Insomnia
    I shamelessly spent hundreds of dollars on collectors editions. I want a special collectors edition console though. I wish I had the MGSV PS4 but those are overpriced and hard to come by.

10. DragorianSword

DragorianSword GBAtemp's #1 Gunter

Oct 31, 2008
    Belgium
    The only ones I have are The Elder Scrolls and Fallout collections.
    Also a few 'limited' editions, but those are all pre-order specials that sell at the same price as the regular edition.
    I certainly don't care about statues and t-shirts.

11. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Erm...perhaps I should have stressed my ephasis a bit more:

I'm Dutch. As such, I prefer Dutch (or English, if unavailable) subtitles in the first place. All others I really don't need. I get why they're there, but that doesn't make them somehow usefull for me. :-)

12. slingblade1170

slingblade1170 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    I have to love the franchise alot to bother with collectors editions.

13. RyRyIV

RyRyIV Member

Newcomer
    Sep 3, 2016
    United States
    Raccoon City
    I used to buy collectors editions whenever I could. Hell, to this day I still have my Master Chief helmet I got with Halo 3 Legendary Edition displayed proudly. The issue I'm finding though, is that a lot of "Collector's" and "Deluxe" editions just aren't worth it anymore. Most of the time it just comes with an in game "collectable" that has little to no benefit, and even if it does come with some sort of cool physical item, these days it's usually just something cheap that gets old immediately (the Pip-Boy from Fallout 4), or something that just isn't worth the extra cash. It's kind of a shame, those upgrades used to be a nice splurge.

14. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Wow, first time you made a useful thread.

I love limited collector editions.