Do You Abuse Quicksaves?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Pedeadstrian, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Pedeadstrian
    OP

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    I'll admit it. I quicksave before pretty much anything that can go bad. Saving before a big fight isn't that bad, but when it comes to CRPGs with skill checks, I end up quicksaving before I do practically anything. When I played Skyrim, I'd save right before picking someone's pocket or looting their stuff. Right now I'm playing Wasteland 2: Director's Cut. In it, you have skills you can level up that increase your chances of various tasks, like defusing bombs, picking locks, cracking safes, etc. I end up quicksaving before any of these tasks, and it ends up making the whole mechanic pointless, so I feel as if I'm cheating/cheapening the game experience.

Do you do the same? If not, what keeps you from doing it? I want to enjoy Fallout 4 as much as possible when it comes out, but Fallout has the same skill checks I mentioned earlier, and I'm afraid I might end up ruining my experience.

Margen67 and Sinon like this.

2. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    I make use of saves when playing Fire Emblem to get through without having any characters die, but then on games like X-COM and Xenonauts, I've been playing on Ironman which prevents me from being able to give in to the temptation of saving to get the best possible outcome and just deal with the consequences.

Margen67 likes this.
  3. Pedeadstrian
    OP

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    Ah, so you rely on a game mode that forces you to keep chugging on. Unfortunately, the games I play don't have that sort of option, and I must rely solely on my willpower (which is pretty much nonexistent). Hopefully someone can make a Fallout 4 mod really quickly... or I could just keep a pencil nearby and stab myself whenever I get tempted.

4. VinsCool

VinsCool Delusional

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    End of Time
    I tend to abuse savestates in emulators.

Protip: Play in real hardware, it's not possible to spam F1 and SHIFT+F1 :P

5. x65943

x65943 Resident Greekaboo, Amateur Dog Father

Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Indiana
    When I played through Link's awakening I would savestate in every area. Totally ruined the game, never let myself even lose a heart.

6. HaloEffect17

HaloEffect17 Splatoon Fan

Jul 1, 2015
    Canada
    Yeah, if I'm having trouble with a particular level and I'm at the peak of frustration.

Margen67 and Real_Redwolf like this.
  7. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    I like to abuse quicksaves while I learn the game. Once I know more about what i'm capable of and what my units are capable of, i'll stop quicksaving or use a mode that prevents it.

Margen67 likes this.
  8. TheKawaiiDesu

TheKawaiiDesu Ball of Kawaiiness

Aug 23, 2015
    Korea, North
    Lowee
    When I play on emulators, I make a save state practically every 5 seconds. Especially in the Ace Attorney games, so I could just magically rewind if I presented the wrong evidence (or listen to the awesome objections a hundred times).

Margen67 likes this.
  9. SmellyPirateMonkey

SmellyPirateMonkey GBAtemp Fan

Sep 18, 2015
    United States
    I make a savestate once every few minutes just to be sure. It's a heck of a way to ensure I dont waste time in a game

10. Pedeadstrian
    OP

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    There's rarely (if any) consequences to presenting the wrong evidence in the Ace Attorney games, unless it's a self-imposed challenge, but using save scumming defeats the point of that.

Margen67 likes this.
  11. TheKawaiiDesu

TheKawaiiDesu Ball of Kawaiiness

Aug 23, 2015
    Korea, North
    Lowee
    Well, you lose points, and even if it is useless most of the time, there are moments when you have only one chance to present evidence (in the Justice for All iirc) or pressing someone (in the first investigations). And actually, for some reason, DeSmuMe crashes every ~10 minutes for me, so I must save really often to not lose my progress.

12. Pedeadstrian
    OP

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    Ah, yeah, sorry, I confused presenting evidence with pressing witnesses (damn pres- words). Your emulator crashing periodically is certainly a good reason to save constantly, even if it's not normal to crash that often.

Margen67 and TheKawaiiDesu like this.
  13. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Abuse would imply I think it bad. Similarly "purity of the game developer's vision" is not something I have any respect for at all if gets in the way of me having a good time.

That said I quite like the approach hitman took in some difficulties and would only allow a limited number of what were effectively savestates per mission.

Margen67 likes this.
  14. Pedeadstrian
    OP

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    I guess I should have probably reworded my title, because my situation is mostly associated with open-world RPGs. When playing mission-based games like Hitman, I definitely don't want to use saves after every enemy I kill. However, in a game like Fallout where I may be permanently barred from a certain location (and possibly quests) because I critically failed a Computer Science skill check and got locked out, I find it very difficult to resist saving before attempting something. I'm pretty much (in my mind, at least) forced to choose between exploration and difficulty, and exploration always wins.

15. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    That first part at least was supposed to be more tongue in cheek than it probably came out as.

For the most part I do not go for flawless as much as "that'll do" if I am hovering over the savestate button.

16. Pleng

Pleng GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    I don't abuse save states. The games I play have inherent flaws (either due to technology constraints at the time, or by way of poor design), which I use save states to fix.

Margen67 likes this.
  17. Hungry Friend

Hungry Friend It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Apr 16, 2015
    United States
    If I beat a game in an emulator by abusing savestates, I see it as a practice run rather than legitimately completing the game. If I'm playing an RPG and something comes up that forces me to get the fuck off the computer immediately though, savestates are fucking great.

18. zeldafan20081

zeldafan20081 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 13, 2008
    United States
    North Carolina
    I abuse quicksaves like the stereotypical alcoholic southern father abuses his wife and kids.
    I know, that was really twisted, but you have to admit that it's an accurate simile.

vayanui8, VinsCool and TheKawaiiDesu like this.
  19. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    I don't usually use too many quicksaves in games. I think the only game where I would abuse them often was X-COM Enemy Unknown, but I'd usually only quicksave for the huge ships like Supply Barges or Abductors, between rooms where I know there will be a billion or so aliens and I don't want to lose good people to shitty luck.

Some old RPGs I'll save state in, too, but only because some of them will lack save points right before big boss fights and I hate having to go through long dungeons all over again, or I'll get bored in the middle of a place where you can't save.

20. jDSX

jDSX *pokes*

Jun 15, 2015
    United States
    Happy furry land with Lucar
    I don't use qiucksaving that much like I used to. I consider it borderline cheating in a way, also if the game isn't very buggy I refuse to use them. Now I have played games where on emulators (golden sun, FE etc) which aren't too stable and prone to glitches and lock ups and QSs help with that I only use them for that reason.