Homebrew Do we really need Sighax?

Knucklesfan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hoo boy. I'm ready for some haters up in here. I have been thinking about this for a while, and I have a question for you guys, do we really need sighax? Now, I know everybody is all about dat 11.3 exploit, but isn't A9LH enough? The loading times aren't bad, and even if we do this, what's the real advantage? What's the full advantage of this over, say, Luma3DS's payload system. I know, alot of you guys want a firmware where you can make themes that look like android or something, but with the nintendo switch right around the corner, at this rate, we'll have SwitchHax or SwitchingBrowserHax or whatever the frick you wanna call it, before we receive SigHax. And the 3DS is not dead, guys, go onto nintendo's website. You can still buy a 3DS from the homepage. Now, if nintendo releases more games, more updates, more everything, our sighax will be patched by the first "New NEW BUY ME TODAY I WANT MONEY" 3DS. Then, we'll have the same problem. So honestly, how does the end-use benefit from this? Well, other than being able to have some cool modifications, they aren't. Unless we are able to write a firmware that can do really cool stuff, such as a new NTRCFW ran from boot, or a Luma3DS settings screen on the home menu (No installing CIAs or anything) I really think the only benefit is that when we go to hack our next console, we can sit around at parties, drink alot of beer, and talk about how we cracked the 3DS's signature checking system and was able to brick more than 300 3DS consoles because we screwed some firmware up. This sighax is REALLY dangerous from what I hear, and while it can be bruteforced, it might be as slow as Waithax, which trust me, was not fun waiting for. (Why was that thing slow anyways?) While I don't fully understand what is going on, and I'm a little tired, That's my opinion on the matters, Feel free to argue with me in the replies, I don't care. Thanks guys!
DISCLAIMER: Even though I was quite critical here, I still believe that Sighax is cool, and might be cool to have. Thanks guys!

Drakia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1) Jesus christ learn how to use the enter key on your keyboard. Paragraphs, they're a real thing that you should use.

2) SigHax is an issue at the hardware level, from my understanding, Nintendo can't fix it without a new hardware revision.

Do we need it? No, but we didn't need A9LH, or Luma, or hacks at all. We have them because there are a group of people who think finding and implementing this stuff is fun.

eskinner3742

GBAtemp Professional Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo should really just give up on the 3DS (probably after this last wave of games for it they will). I know they said the switch isn't a replacement for the 3DS... but we all know it is. Sighax and other exploits need to stay hidden until then. Then once all of nintendo's developers switch to the switch (:rofl2: see what I did there) and the 3DS doesn't see any more updates, release the beasts. That way the 3DS will be forever exploitable like the wii. Then people will buy a 3DS just to mod which will give nintendo a few more 3DS sales even after it's dead.

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
To quote yifan_lu (edited for relevance)

"Bootloader, this is the holy grail, the final boss. Once this is compromised, the console would be “hacked” in every sense of the word....."

So yes, we absolutely need sighax. It is the pinnacle of 3DS hacking. There is no feasible way for nintendo to patch the vulnerability at this late in the consoles life.

Therefore, people who missed out on all the fun from 2013-17 can relive what we had the pleasure of experiencing for decades and decades to come :)

Goombi

my_crypto = meme_crypto
Trophies
Website
www.goombi.fr
XP
Country
France
Oh boi, let's read all of that!
I have a question for you guys, do we really need sighax?
Well for many, no. But once 11.3 consoles starts invading the shelves, yeah.
Now, I know everybody is all about dat 11.3 exploit, but isn't A9LH enough? The loading times aren't bad, and even if we do this, what's the real advantage?
None for anyone with A9LH. Boot speed improvement might not be noticeable. But keep in mind that Sighax is installable on any 3DS/N3DS with a raw NAND access (= hardmod your 3DS -> profit), no matter what new FIRM revision Nintendo can come up with.
alot of you guys want a firmware where you can make themes that look like android or something
True, but those people miss the point that Sighax does not gives us any permission we didn't had.
with the nintendo switch right around the corner, at this rate, we'll have SwitchHax or SwitchingBrowserHax or whatever the frick you wanna call it, before we receive SigHax.
Wouldn't bet on that one :P
And the 3DS is not dead, guys, go onto nintendo's website. You can still buy a 3DS from the homepage. Now, if nintendo releases more games, more updates, more everything, our sighax will be patched by the first "New NEW BUY ME TODAY I WANT MONEY" 3DS. Then, we'll have the same problem.
Well maybe. But maybe not. Keep in mind Nintendo has to ensure retro compatibility before resucuring the system. That means they can't change many keys. Or they'll end up creating even more complexity. So yeah a new revision will likely patch sighax but only time will tell us what will happen.
So honestly, how does the end-use benefit from this? Well, other than being able to have some cool modifications, they aren't.
Not even cool modifications as said above. Sighax improves nothing except a few milliseconds of boot time. The only real stuff I can think of is: With boot9 keys we could have Decrypt9 PC edition.
Unless we are able to write a firmware that can do really cool stuff, such as a new NTRCFW ran from boot, or a Luma3DS settings screen on the home menu (No installing CIAs or anything)
Oh that would be cool :D
I really think the only benefit is that when we go to hack our next console, we can sit around at parties, drink alot of beer, and talk about how we cracked the 3DS's signature checking system and was able to brick more than 300 3DS consoles because we screwed some firmware up.
I'd do that if you add some softs, send me an invite :D
This sighax is REALLY dangerous from what I hear, and while it can be bruteforced, it might be as slow as Waithax, which trust me, was not fun waiting for. (Why was that thing slow anyways?)
wat.
Sorry you lost me on that one. I think you should check again what sighax is and does.
- First, brute forcing the signature won't be necessary with boot9, we can simply solve the equation in the excellent thread linked by @addi33 above.
- It's a one time computation, once you have the sig, slap it on every FIRM you want to flash and enjoy.
While I don't fully understand what is going on, and I'm a little tired, That's my opinion on the matters, Feel free to argue with me in the replies, I don't care. Thanks guys!
DISCLAIMER: Even though I was quite critical here, I still believe that Sighax is cool, and might be cool to have. Thanks guys!
Well no worries, I hope you learned a few things by reading our responses. If you have a bit of time, read the OP of @addi33 thread. It has some technical stuff in spoilers but it's very interesting.

TL;DR:
- Sighax has no use for anyone with A9LH
- The only cool feature is that it's installable on any (current revision of the) 3DS, it's great for people with updated consoles/future buyers when 11.3 will be on shelves. No OTP needed.
- Sighax will likely means boot9 goes public, with it's keys. That would allow us for decryption on PC and possibly unbricking of many consoles (if they hardmod it though).
- Read this thread

Knucklesfan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
C'mon! I wanna hear the FULL story!!! :P :D
Well, ok then. Basically my computer has this problem where the power has a short in its power outlet, and I'm forced to put my leg up to the side to make it charge. Well, my hand was holding the computer, so it wouldn't fall, and I began typing this in the car. Then, I opened the car door and my laptop fell out, and then the power cord came undone and the battery fell out. Now I have a broken screen (which I repaired tonight :P) and a broken power cord slot thing. wow.

bennyman123abc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, ok then. Basically my computer has this problem where the power has a short in its power outlet, and I'm forced to put my leg up to the side to make it charge. Well, my hand was holding the computer, so it wouldn't fall, and I began typing this in the car. Then, I opened the car door and my laptop fell out, and then the power cord came undone and the battery fell out. Now I have a broken screen (which I repaired tonight :P) and a broken power cord slot thing. wow.
That wasn't long at all! I was hoping for a nice story time :(

D

Deleted User

Potential Brick Wave might be observed due to the Noobs doing clumsy work that a pre-schooler wouldn't even do like! My browser is saying that an error has occurred when I tried to get my OTP and after 5-7 minutes he realises, and says "Damn! I am an idiot, how could I forget to put three Ws" (World Wide Web, just an explanation for the noobs who met with same incident). Now this would happen "Guys, I forgot how to launch the HomeBrew Launcher and will the files I put in the 3ds folder be CIA or 3DSX."

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @The Real Jdbye, :creep: