Do we need gateway after CFW?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Gateway3DSPeru, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Gateway3DSPeru
    OP

Gateway3DSPeru Member

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2014
    Peru
    Hi guys a lot had happened in the past few days regarding the scene, but as a lot have pointed out there are too much argot out there.
    I could finally understand about those CIA files, but my question is, after installing the CFW do we still need the red gateway cartdridge?

Thanks

2. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Empty

Apr 19, 2010
    Greece
    You need it in order to install the CFW BUT if you are using 2.6 FW then yes you still need to use in order to access your EmuNand.
    If you do not own a Gateway 3DS Flashcard and you installed the CFW without it then no you do not need it but you will not have a good compatibility as I have seen several people say!

So I suggest you if you own a Gateway 3DS Flashcard then use both Gateway and the CFW in order to play games it saves up space ^_^

3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    The 4.5 CFW leaked doesn't need a Gateway at all. But if you're using GW 2.6 then yes a Gateway is required to launch the CFW.

4. VerseHell

VerseHell GBAtemp Psycho!

Jun 29, 2014
    France

Nope, just a ds flashcart and a 4.X console is enough.

5. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    The current CFW that does not require use of a Gateway is rather bugged and incomplete. If it becomes more developed, Gateway should become obsolete, but that will probably take a while.

6. Gateway3DSPeru
    OP

Gateway3DSPeru Member

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2014
    Peru
    Good to know!

Thanks a lot for clarifying this

7. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    I would suggest use your gateway card, its much easier unless of course you really want to be resetting your 3DS thousand times a day and break the on and off button!

8. justln

justln GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 16, 2013

My understanding of CFW and CIA is limited but don't you install the game into your 3DS SD card instead of loading from the Gateway microSD card? Why would it save up space?

9. MrFahrenheit39

MrFahrenheit39 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 2, 2014
    United States
    Currently, Gateway is still a nice thing to have.
    Really just depends on if you have a bigger microSD or SD card. For example, I've got a 32gb micro and a 16gb SD. I keep my bigger games on my gateway and smaller ones on my SD card. I mean, technically, the Gateway could "save up some space" assuming you maxed out the storage on your SD card because you could still fill the Gateway with games. That'd be a ton of games though.

10. Neo Draven

Neo Draven End Boss of the Entire Internet

May 3, 2010
    United States
    I have a 32GB microSDHC card in my Gateway cart, and a 32GB SDHC card in my 3DS. That way, I can essentially have my entire game collection all at once, without needing to carry anything except my 3DSXL.

It's also nice to have bubbles for the games that you play the most often.

More options are always a good thing.

11. Delta517

Delta517 Its okay...Im a ninja ;)

Nov 25, 2008
    Norway
    I haven't followed all this 3DS Scene advancement over the few months so sorry if this has been answered! :) I had two 3DS's and two Gateways, but sold 1 3DS and 2Gateways, so Im basically sitting without any Gateway right now. But I still have the Gateway exploit and emuNand installed on the 3DS. Is there anyway I can install the CFW then or do I need to get a Gateway again? :)

12. Vappy

Vappy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 23, 2012
    You can install it without a Gateway cart, follow the guide here. You'll need to obtain the DevMenu.cia yourself, though you could also use BigBlueMenu, since that one should be easier to find.

13. nonamejohn

nonamejohn GBAtemp Regular

Jul 23, 2014
    United States
    Can you install and use 7.x decrypted games without a gateway if , for instance, installed via cia on 4.5 emunand ?

14. Vappy

May 23, 2012
    No

Queno138 likes this.
  15. nonamejohn

Jul 23, 2014
    United States
    Can anyone chime in on exactly why it isn't possible ?

16. Vappy

May 23, 2012
    The CFW only supports games running on SDK 5.x or older, so it follows that any made with 7.x or newer wouldn't function.

17. nonamejohn

Jul 23, 2014
    United States
    I understand this, but could it also be that the newer firmware, since not publicly decrypted, has more syscalls that 4.5 doesn't know how to handle ?

18. Vappy

May 23, 2012
    Entirely possible, but that's beyond the scope of my knowledge. :P

supermalloch likes this.
  19. Relys

Relys Master of Computer Science

Jan 5, 2007
    United States
    That is correct.

20. daicon

daicon GBAtemp Regular

Feb 16, 2014
    United States
    I've heard that some people have gotten X and Y and Smash running through an installed cia on the CFW.

Queno138 likes this.