Hacking Do we need gateway after CFW?

BerrisFueler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Here are the facts I've gathered from lurking at the forums this past week and testing myself.
  • You can install the CFW if you're on a 4.x firmware and you have any NDS flashcart.
  • The best option right now for installing .cia files is with a Gateway card because of the emuNand 9.x, meaning compatibility with all the current .cia games.
  • You can install .cia games in the CFW with either devMenu or TitleManager (or BigBlueManager), but only games that run on 5.x or lower firmware. (i.e: Smash Bros won't work)
  • The CFW right now is super buggy, but it "works". (Launching method is luck-based, it might crash at random points, like installing a .cia or making a folder).
  • With CFW installed, the installed games will appear on both sysNAND and emuNAND, but you can only play them on the latter. sysNAND will tell you that the games can't be played and you have to redonwload them.
Answering the actual question: If you want to install 9.x .cia games , then yeah, you need Gateway. If you plan on installing 5.x games or lower, you don't need a Gateway.

giga502

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Here are the facts I've gathered from lurking at the forums this past week and testing myself.
  • You can install the CFW if you're on a 4.x firmware and you have any NDS flashcart.
  • The best option right now for installing .cia files is with a Gateway card because of the emuNand 9.x, meaning compatibility with all the current .cia games.
  • You can install .cia games in the CFW with either devMenu or TitleManager (or BigBlueManager), but only games that run on 5.x or lower firmware. (i.e: Smash Bros won't work)
  • The CFW right now is super buggy, but it "works". (Launching method is luck-based, it might crash at random points, like installing a .cia or making a folder).
Answering the actual question: If you want to install 9.x .cia games , then yeah, you need Gateway. If you plan on installing 5.x games or lower, you don't need a Gateway.
Since I just ordered my GW, can I install CFW now and then do the Gateway method later? Or will the CFW replace my existing sysnand?

BerrisFueler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Since I just ordered my GW, can I install CFW now and then do the Gateway method later? Or will the CFW replace my existing sysnand?

If you want to, yeah. And no, it won't replace your existing sysNAND since the CFW gets patched on the emuNAND. If you want to delete the CFW you just have to format your emuNAND again with the Gateway launcher and update it when your Gateway card arrives!

Reactions: giga502

giga502

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you want to, yeah. And no, it won't replace your existing sysNAND since the CFW gets patched on the emuNAND. If you want to delete the CFW you just have to format your emuNAND again with the Gateway launcher and update it when your Gateway card arrives!

my old R4 cart isn't recognized by my 3DS :\
this means ill just have to wait then right?

Keylogger

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
  • With CFW installed, the installed games will appear on both sysNAND and emuNAND, but you can only play them on the latter. sysNAND will tell you that the games can't be played and you have to redonwload them.
Hummm can't you use the GW 2.2 launcher.dat (without a GW card) to boot into emundand 7.x and then install cia 7.x games?

I keep ALL versions of emunand on my PC (4.x to 9.x) so I can inject any version I want with the emunand tool.

So I guess you can play 7.x CIA games on 7.x emunand without a GW card

daicon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aren't you able to use the 7.x keys to decrypt any newer rom, repackage it as a cia, and then install it on the CFW without Gateway?

I'm stunned everyone is saying it's not possible because people have proven otherwise.

I was sorta excited about the scene becoming more than just Gateway Marketing Inc. but it seems we're spreading false info just telling people to throw down to the same company that was willing to brick our consoles.

MrFahrenheit39

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aren't you able to use the 7.x keys to decrypt any newer rom, repackage it as a cia, and then install it on the CFW without Gateway?

I'm stunned everyone is saying it's not possible because people have proven otherwise.

I was sorta excited about the scene becoming more than just Gateway Marketing Inc. but it seems we're spreading false info just telling people to throw down to the same company that was willing to brick our consoles.

Can you link to people who have gotten Smash to run without Gateway? I haven't seen anyone able to run it without emunand.

daicon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you link to people who have gotten Smash to run without Gateway? I haven't seen anyone able to run it without emunand.

I'd have to crawl through threads... I do have an Pokemon cia. I will try it without useing a Gateway and see what happens, but it'll take some time because I haven't begun to play with this cfw yet.

Delta517

Its okay...Im a ninja ;)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
You can install it without a Gateway cart, follow the guide here. You'll need to obtain the DevMenu.cia yourself, though you could also use BigBlueMenu, since that one should be easier to find.

Thanks! But I still need a regular NDS Flashcard that my 3DS supports right? :) Because the second step is: "Copy the Rop Multiloader to your DS mode flashcart. Launch the Rop Multiloader rom from your cart and select "Gateway 4x" :(

daicon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks! But I still need a regular NDS Flashcard that my 3DS supports right? :) Because the second step is: "Copy the Rop Multiloader to your DS mode flashcart. Launch the Rop Multiloader rom from your cart and select "Gateway 4x" :(

Right, but those cards are much cheaper, and they're pretty useful too for playing DS games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/Hn-gx9VjRt8?t=153