arthurkok2

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
btw, the cyclo chip looks like its bigger (the extra PCBs and stuff), will it still fit on the side like the wiinja does if its installed with wires?

kdanarch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
btw, the cyclo chip looks like its bigger (the extra PCBs and stuff), will it still fit on the side like the wiinja does if its installed with wires?

Probably not :/

But you could still mount it where it would mount anyway, but with wires connecting the contacts to the chip, instead of huge globs of solder you might someday wish you could remove :x

arthurkok2

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
01-26: Wiinja officially announced. News sites around the globe pick up the news. MaxConsole makes several positive posts about it.

01-27: MaxConsole posts a Wiinja install article.

01-28: I begin hearing rumors that Wiinja code is being offered to high-level scene groups for an outrageous sum. Third party reports that Wiinja teams claims chips were "stolen" from them.

MaxConsole's Wiinja install article disappears and is replaced with one reading "And here are the first ever 'step by step' pictures of the very basic mod for the Wii known as the 'Wiinja'. The installation looks as simple as the pic mod itself. And yes we did post this yesterday, but unfortunately due to problems in the server upgrade we lost a fraction of the previous days content."

Hours later, MaxConsole makes a post bashing the Wiinja for not being upgradeable. Users are baffled by the sudden negativity.

01-29: CycloWiz announced. MaxConsole posts news referring to the chip as the "First Ever REAL Wii Modchip."

01-30: Several high-level scene sources begin to suspect and later confirm to me personally that the company who sponsors the MaxConsole site, Divineo, are handling distribution of the CycloWiz.

01-31: MaxConsole posts their "review" of the CycloWiz. It become apparent, even to their own users, that this "review" reads more like an advertisement. There are no installation pictures until later in the day after users begin to question the authenticity of the review.

02-01: MaxConsole review is "unstickied" from the front page.

nice timeline
lecture.gif

Chiisuchianu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
great post and great thread. good investigative work and explanations by users on here. i too vote for sticky and i will be boycotting maxconsole and divineo. this type of buddy-buddy bullshit/inner circle crap is what ruins everything and i will not support it. hope word gets out strongly about this corrupt behavior.

always got my stuff from kicktrading anyway, great people.

Pizoi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Won't be long before the code is made public, and you'll just be able to program a $5 PIC yourself, or at some local electronics store. I'm patient enough to wait for that. Meanwhile, I'll probably just play through Zelda again or something.

moshii

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Looking at the pictures on maxconsole of the CycloWiz I must say it looks like a much better piece of kit.

Oh, and maybe Nintendo won't be able to disable these with a firmware update for the motherboard, but it's possible they could update the firmware on the drive. Then, in later versions of the hardware remove all signs of the serial port. Just like Nintendo could kill all piracy on newer DS's by doing some timing checks on the carts in firmware.. don't get too settled ;P

Alien0036

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Looking at the pictures on maxconsole of the CycloWiz I must say it looks like a much better piece of kit.

Oh, and maybe Nintendo won't be able to disable these with a firmware update for the motherboard, but it's possible they could update the firmware on the drive. Then, in later versions of the hardware remove all signs of the serial port. Just like Nintendo could kill all piracy on newer DS's by doing some timing checks on the carts in firmware.. don't get too settled ;P

The thing is, if they could(/can) update the firmware from the drive, then we could(/can) do it too and there was no need for the chip.

Pizoi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Here's the way I see it.

Nintendo is already turning a profit on every system they sell, whereas the PS3 and Xbox360 rely on title sales. Because of that fact, people that wouldn't buy a Wii if they couldn't mod it and pirate games will now buy them, making Nintendo more money.

Of course, I'm sure they'd prefer everyone that bought a Wii to buy 5+ titles for it, but obviously that won't be the case. I can see Sony and MS taking more active measures against modding, but Nintendo doesn't really have much to lose.

Basically, I doubt Nintendo cares.

mickcris

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

ProdigySim

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the subject of chips becoming obsolete due to Wii firmware updates:

This is still possible. Not in a "Your chip is now worthless" way, but in the way of the PSP.
The PSP has newer games being released that don't work on older firmwares.

The current mod chips sit on the DVD drive and modify certain bits as they get sent through.

Imagine: Nintendo creates a new format for the copy-protected section on their discs. At the same time, they release a new firmware that will be able to read and confirm legitimacy of these new discs.

Nintendo, knowing what the Mod chips will try to do, sets up the copy protection data so that when it is sent through a mod chip, it generates a change in the bits that would not be made in a system without a mod chip. The new firmware then detects this, and knows there is a mod chip.

Most likely, your systems will not be rendered useless ever, just kept from using newer games/pirating newer games. And there's no knowing Nintendo will ever go to a method like this. In the past they've not really done much about piracy. They did update their DS firmwares to stop Passkeys from working. Perhaps the current Wii Modchips aren't too different from the Passkeys in that respect.

However, since this is a developer backend, and a physical mod, I'd expect Nintendo to take little to no action.

But I don't have a Wii, or any money.
tongue.gif
I'm just going to collect and wait for now.

Edit: As for the Wiinja vs. CycloWiz thing.... I agree that the CycloWiz is getting alot of paid-publicity, but from the start the Wiinja has looked really unprofessional and shady and bad to me. They have their own site up now but everything still looks really bad to me. I wish they had some real diagrams and installation instructions. Maybe better pics of the actual chip. Half of what they've shown of the chip has had their logo photoshopped onto it.
In the end, though, what you should make your decision based off of is the Quicksolder vs. Wire solder. That's all.

comapro

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Here's the way I see it.

Nintendo is already turning a profit on every system they sell, whereas the PS3 and Xbox360 rely on title sales.

I read that MS makes money on every 360 sold too. At first they were taking a loss, but now they make more than Nintendo makes per console. Sorry, don't have a link.

arthurkok2

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Here's the way I see it.

Nintendo is already turning a profit on every system they sell, whereas the PS3 and Xbox360 rely on title sales. Because of that fact, people that wouldn't buy a Wii if they couldn't mod it and pirate games will now buy them, making Nintendo more money.

Of course, I'm sure they'd prefer everyone that bought a Wii to buy 5+ titles for it, but obviously that won't be the case. I can see Sony and MS taking more active measures against modding, but Nintendo doesn't really have much to lose.

Basically, I doubt Nintendo cares.

don't forget those overpriced controllers and even more overpriced nunchucks

arthurkok2

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
hmm, i read somewhere where they talked about NTSC-U / NTSC-J games on these modchips...i cant seem to find it again...

does anyone know if they can play these two regions of games? or are these still region locked?

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
hmm, i read somewhere where they talked about NTSC-U / NTSC-J games on these modchips...i cant seem to find it again...

does anyone know if they can play these two regions of games? or are these still region locked?

Speculation that these two chips allow cross NTSC region playing. This is confirmed for a new modchip from the Xeno team (the WiiiKey).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: happy birth +1