do some reading FIRST! wiinja and cyclo FAQ

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by arthurkok2, Feb 1, 2007.

Feb 1, 2007
  1. arthurkok2
    OP

Member arthurkok2 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    it bothers me that there are 100000000000000000 of the same repeated question on different and on the same threads.

DO SOME READING FIRST!

FAQ:

Are these modchips be installed on different region Wii?

Yes. You install it on a PAL Wii and it will be able to play PAL backups.
    Sames goes with NTSC. Install on NTSC, play NTSC backups.

Can a wii firmware upgrade render the chips useless?

Edit: Possible. But not in the near future, since there is no core evidence that the Wii is able to detect the modchips. The modchips on the market so far are all "Drive Mods" which means they hack the dvd-rom drive instead of the Wii mobo itself. Hence, your not really 'hacking the wii'

How does it work?

It uses the backdoor 2, as seen on the german hacker conference. Find the video on youtube if you want to watch it?

Do these chips have the GC audiofix?

Yes.

Are these solderless?

No.

How do i burn games?

Read: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=43289

Basically, you have to unscramble raw image dumps. Then they burn just like ISO images.
    If they're already unscrambled, just burn the image with something like Alcohol 120%

Do i need to unscramble my game?
    Can I play games of a different region on my Wii?

Some modchip support on the fly region cracking and does pretty much what the RegionFrii tool can do. If you dont have such a modchip, you can use RegionFrii, a tool used to patch Wii ISOs in an attempt to make them playable on foreign region consoles.

Check the compatibility list too! http://wiki.gbatemp.net/index.php?title=Wi...patibility_Listhttp://wiki.gbatemp.net/index.php?title=Wii_Region_Free_Patcher_Compatibility_List

How do i take apart my wii?

Read: http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=677908&rl=1

How do i solder?

Watch this: http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive/2007/...ng_tutor_1.html

Where can i get a tri-wing screwdriver?

Your local ebay is your best chance.

My modded Wii is giving me a lot of "Disc Read Errors"

The wires on your modchip might of came loose.
    Your disc media is bad. Try burning slower.

Well, thats all the questions i can think of.
    If you have more, please read the other threads.

P.S. Dr. Stiles approves of mod chips, and has the MAD skills to install them too. (referring to defusing the bomb)

2. paOol

Member paOol GBAtemp Regular

Is this thread biased towards the Wiinja

Yes, most definite.
    See post above.

dude, who cares if cyclowiz is getting more attention. their just mod chips.

3. arthurkok2
    OP

Canada
    haha, im just saying that reviews should not be biased

4. Jax

Member Jax Pip Pip Cheerioink!

Portugal
    Now I'm sold.
    If there's no way that a firware upgrade can render the chip useless, I'm glad I preordered the Wiinja.

Thanks arthur! [​IMG]

5. kdanarch

Newcomer kdanarch Advanced Member

United States
    I actually pre-ordered a CycloWiz and had to put in a cancellation request. I switched to Wiinja at the last moment.

I thought the quicksolder solution would be easier for me since I don't do much electronics-work, but in retrospect (now that it's been shown that the chips are actually equal when it comes down to getting the job done) I figured it'd be best to go for the simplest solution.

I heard that the Wiinja doesn't come with wires, so I cut a phone line into three 4-5 inch sections, and then pulled the wires out of the insulation. I've stripped them about a milimeter or two down from the insulation, and I've twisted the copper strands as best as I could.

Last time I tried one of these I killed a PS One by lifting a transistor off the board.. Luckily, this time around I think I've got a lower-wattage iron, and the solder points are undoubtedly easier.

Still no cakewalk though... Anybody think these copper phone wires would be insufficient for the job?

6. arthurkok2
    OP

Canada
    Should be fine. They're thin too so its easy to organize and make neat.

7. ds_barf

Newcomer ds_barf Advanced Member

Netherlands
    thanks for clearing up [​IMG]

anybody else feels that opening the wii is probably harder than actually soldering the chip? [​IMG]

8. kdanarch

United States
    When mod-time comes it's gonna feel like trauma center...

PULL YOURSELF TOGETHER, DR STILES!

9. arthurkok2
    OP

Canada
    its easy if u have the right tools, and keep the disassembled part organized. dont lose those screws!

10. arthurkok2
    OP

Canada
    STARTING THE OPERATION!

DR. STILES!

omg, hilarious

kind of reminds me of the simpsons episode with that Planet of the apes musical.

Dr. Zaius, Dr. Zaius. do do do do. Dr. Zaius, Dr. Zaius.....

11. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    [​IMG] if anybody is not sure on what to do get someone to do it for you. its better to spend a few more pounds or dollers rather than breaking your wii

12. instigator

Newcomer instigator Advanced Member

Canada
    Good point. I found a company in my area who guarantees against bricked systems i.e. they'll replace it.

13. kdanarch

United States
    I have a broken keyboard with a small chip with a few components on it. I'm going to be practicing with that until I feel I can make a neat solder joint.

Those two big pads I'm comfortable with... but the serial port seems rather scrunched together.

14. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    this thread needs to be a sticky. I too am sick of reading the same questions over and over.

15. arthurkok2
    OP

Canada
    please stick this

16. kdanarch

United States
    This is a pretty good post. People need to know that CycloWiz and Wiinja aren't different... it's just that CycloWiz felt the need to document "features" of their chip that are inherent (or at least discovered) in the Wii's interaction with the chip.

For example:
    Stealth mode? Bull, it's the Wii's fault the Wii can't detect it, not the chip's fault. It's a drivemod, folks, not a mobo mod.
    Audiofix? I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a single byte of code in either the Wiinja OR the CycloWiz for this. I'll bet that these "features" are inherent in the gamecube emulating routines in the Wii. It's NOT just a gamecube in another box, folks...

Blah blah blah. You know, I'll admit that I'm an early adopter because of hype.

But... I can't... help it...

I'm gonna ruin my Wii before I can even go out and buy another one [​IMG]

17. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States

I think it's a little unfair to call the CycloWiz a copy of the Wiinja, considering they were most likely in development at exactly the same time. I think I read a post from someone from the CW team either here or MaxConsole that they said they did not copy the Wiinja, and that they were developed completely separately. But since they're both drive mods, and do exactly the same thing, there isn't much of a difference between the two.

As much as I don't like the idea of the quicksolder, IF it is PROVEN that Nintendo cannot block these mods with updates (and so far the only confirmation I see developed out of conversation on these boards, not from any proven announcement) I will get the CycloWiz if it is still cheaper than the Wiinja at that time. If the Wiinja is cheaper, I'll get that. I don't think I really care too much about homebrew, and chances are that any mod that allows for region swapping will be able to be installed along side this or will be a disk swap like current GCN region swapping. I don't see the need to remove this chip ever since it will not affect a mobo mod if I choose to install that at a later date.

Really, a drive mod is a drive mod is a drive mod. there aren't any other features available for a drive mod. These kinds of chips are the end of the line until a mobo chip comes out. In the meantime I'll just wait for the price to go down (since I don't have my wii).

I just hope new hardware revisions or new factory models don't contain some sort of block making my wii unable to accept these chips.

comments?

18. xiaNaix

Member xiaNaix GBAtemp Fan

United States
    01-26: Wiinja officially announced. News sites around the globe pick up the news. MaxConsole makes several positive posts about it.

01-27: MaxConsole posts a Wiinja install article.

01-28: I begin hearing rumors that Wiinja code is being offered to high-level scene groups for an outrageous sum. Third party reports that Wiinja teams claims chips were "stolen" from them.

MaxConsole's Wiinja install article disappears and is replaced with one reading "And here are the first ever 'step by step' pictures of the very basic mod for the Wii known as the 'Wiinja'. The installation looks as simple as the pic mod itself. And yes we did post this yesterday, but unfortunately due to problems in the server upgrade we lost a fraction of the previous days content."

Hours later, MaxConsole makes a post bashing the Wiinja for not being upgradeable. Users are baffled by the sudden negativity.

01-29: CycloWiz announced. MaxConsole posts news referring to the chip as the "First Ever REAL Wii Modchip."

01-30: Several high-level scene sources begin to suspect and later confirm to me personally that the company who sponsors the MaxConsole site, Divineo, are handling distribution of the CycloWiz.

01-31: MaxConsole posts their "review" of the CycloWiz. It become apparent, even to their own users, that this "review" reads more like an advertisement. There are no installation pictures until later in the day after users begin to question the authenticity of the review.

02-01: MaxConsole review is "unstickied" from the front page.

19. kdanarch

United States
    I didn't mean to imply that CycloWiz is a ripoff :x I mean it's a copy in regards to it's functionality. At this point it seems like the only difference in the end to the consumer is the installation method. [​IMG]

20. rkenshin

Member rkenshin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    actually the only difference is the price since both can be installed with wires in the same five spots