Do memory cards on exFAT just break like this?

FirM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I've got an unpatched Switch running Atmos, and I've been set up for a couple of years now. I have eight MicroSD cards that I store my games across, and with the exception of the two committed to Retroarch (in Fat32), they're all formatted in exFAT. I just didn't want to fuss with splitting games over 4 GB. I suppose I'd reconsider if someone could explain the process, but the strange thing is, all 7 other exFAT cards continue to work just fine on my Switch without any issue.

But the 8th exFAT card is the focus of our story today, because after working fine with no issues for six months, I was playing some indie game on this card and the game crashed out of the blue... then every game on this card started to crash if I tried to launch it, with that infamous error code 2002-2079. Then I restarted into Atmos and I couldn't even get past the "Your SD card is corrupted" message that forces either a format or a power down.

On my PC, the data was also now showing up as corrupted, so I couldn't even reset the archive bit, and I was forced to reformat. I tried exFAT again and proceeded to re-install each of these games thru Tinfoil, aaaaaaaand all these wild allocation space issues kept popping up, but the games would carry on installing. Once they were done, I tired to play again (a different game too, mind you, one that previously worked), and they immediately threw up error codes. Then all the games on that card did again. Reset, and I was back at the unskippable "Your SD card is corrupted" message on the home screen.

Is there any way to resurrect this card, or is it kaput? It was less than a year old. My other exFAT formatted cards continue to work without issues. Are some cards just duds out the gate like this? I thought flash memory was more reliable than this.

Last edited by FirM,

CloudStrife1901

Trophies
XP
Country
You don't need to split the games. Use dbi switch homebrew and connect via pc with USB and select mtp responder. You can just drag and drop any size game to a fat32 sdcard

FirM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, update!

I caved and formatted the card to Fat32. Booted in atmos just fine. Then I tried using Tinfoil / Nut to install games over NSP. Nut seems to work just fine, the NSPs show up in Tinfoil like they should. I even stepped back to Nut 2.7 because of a strange "keys.text" false flag I was getting.

One or two games installed successfully, and then a wave of pop-ups came up in Tinfoil saying that the card is corrupt, and to not use exFAT, even though the card is formatted in Fat32 now. Doesn't seem to matter which NSPs I use.

Again, I don't think this issue exists with any of my other cards, even though they're formatted in exFAT. I've had rare circumstances where a game will crash, even more rare where I need to restart the system, but that's always been all it took. They're all official SanDisk cards. Do you think this one is just defective?

And if it's something else, like the card reader, why have I been able to play / load / save on a different card without issue?

Last edited by FirM,

viper3344

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems to me that it’s a bad card or the card just went bad. If you are having the exact same thing happen under fat32 then there is your answer. Pop it into the pc and do a full sd card test on it.

AlanLC

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Had the same errors. Slow formatting in Fat32 and a new emunand seems to have solved the problem, if I used the old emunand (copy from before formatting) the problem would happen again.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, update!

I caved and formatted the card to Fat32. Booted in atmos just fine. Then I tried using Tinfoil / Nut to install games over NSP. Nut seems to work just fine, the NSPs show up in Tinfoil like they should. I even stepped back to Nut 2.7 because of a strange "keys.text" false flag I was getting.

One or two games installed successfully, and then a wave of pop-ups came up in Tinfoil saying that the card is corrupt, and to not use exFAT, even though the card is formatted in Fat32 now. Doesn't seem to matter which NSPs I use.

Again, I don't think this issue exists with any of my other cards, even though they're formatted in exFAT. I've had rare circumstances where a game will crash, even more rare where I need to restart the system, but that's always been all it took. They're all official SanDisk cards. Do you think this one is just defective?

And if it's something else, like the card reader, why have I been able to play / load / save on a different card without issue?
I highly recommend using TinWoo Installer instead to install the games. They might work if you use it.

goncalodoom

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Ok, update!

Are you sure you have the latest sigpatches?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1