Hacking Do I get a 3DS to hack?

MassiR77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So guys I have had my DS for a long while and have been meaning to upgrade for a bit now, but I'm wondering, how easy is it to mod, is it safe, and what version of the 3DS should I get, or just get a 2DS instead. What would I need to play 3DS ROMs or CIAs or whatever they're called, an SD card? Should I buy a new or used DS? And I have an R4 and AceKard 2i, but I use the AceKard and I'm wondering if that'll work on a hacked 3/2DS because I know that on a normal one it won't, for either of my cards. That's it I think, any help is appreciated.

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3ds.guide is the best site to hack your 3ds/2ds. WIth your flashcarts you should be able to (they have an option for using card to hack your console). It's super easy and you would want cia files to install for 3ds. .rom files for 3ds aren't useful unless you have an emulator on pc. You also should have a fairly large micro sd card I'd go with 128gb or 256 for a 3ds

Reactions: MassiR77

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So guys I have had my DS for a long while and have been meaning to upgrade for a bit now, but I'm wondering, how easy is it to mod, is it safe, and what version of the 3DS should I get, or just get a 2DS instead. What would I need to play 3DS ROMs or CIAs or whatever they're called, an SD card? Should I buy a new or used DS? And I have an R4 and AceKard 2i, but I use the AceKard and I'm wondering if that'll work on a hacked 3/2DS because I know that on a normal one it won't, for either of my cards. That's it I think, any help is appreciated.
1:
Installing custom firmware on a 2|3DS is pretty safe. The guide [https://3ds.hacks.guide/] is long and the amount of information may be overwhelming at first – but this is only because it is a step-by-step guide. Take your time reading and just follow the path that fits your firmware version.

2:
Which console to get and new vs. used: Depends completely on your preferences. In general the “New” models (“New” in the name not “new vs. used”) are better for emulation because of their faster processor.
I personally prefer the N3DSXL. Large screens, stable 3D, fast processor and has good repairability (many components can be just unplugged – though the connectors and cables have to be treated with care).

3:
AceKard 2i will be automatically unblocked (Luma3DS disables the whitelist check). Depending on how old the R4 is you might need another loader (forgot the name) to start it – maybe TWiLight Menu++ can also boot the R4.

=====
If you want to use the ntrboot method you need any other DS system that does boot the AceKard 2i at the moment to start the flashing process. AceKard 2i is one of the best for ntrboot because the normal functions stay usable while ntrboothax is installed (no need to flash it back to the previous state).

Please check a new SD for defects and fake before trusting it. SDs with 64GB or more come with exFAT file system by default. This does not work with 2|3DS systems. Reformatting to FAT32 is needed.
  1. Copy all your data (if any) from the SD to a computer. Reformat the SD to FAT32, 32kb cluster size, if bigger than 32GB and using Windows with guiformat.
  2. Check your SD Windows, Linux, OS X.
    • If you get any errors replace the SD
    • If you get no errors copy your files back on the SD.

MassiR77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1:
Installing custom firmware on a 2|3DS is pretty safe. The guide [https://3ds.hacks.guide/] is long and the amount of information may be overwhelming at first – but this is only because it is a step-by-step guide. Take your time reading and just follow the path that fits your firmware version.

2:
Which console to get and new vs. used: Depends completely on your preferences. In general the “New” models (“New” in the name not “new vs. used”) are better for emulation because of their faster processor.
I personally prefer the N3DSXL. Large screens, stable 3D, fast processor and has good repairability (many components can be just unplugged – though the connectors and cables have to be treated with care).

3:
AceKard 2i will be automatically unblocked (Luma3DS disables the whitelist check). Depending on how old the R4 is you might need another loader (forgot the name) to start it – maybe TWiLight Menu++ can also boot the R4.

=====
If you want to use the ntrboot method you need any other DS system that does boot the AceKard 2i at the moment to start the flashing process. AceKard 2i is one of the best for ntrboot because the normal functions stay usable while ntrboothax is installed (no need to flash it back to the previous state).

Please check a new SD for defects and fake before trusting it. SDs with 64GB or more come with exFAT file system by default. This does not work with 2|3DS systems. Reformatting to FAT32 is needed.
  1. Copy all your data (if any) from the SD to a computer. Reformat the SD to FAT32, 32kb cluster size, if bigger than 32GB and using Windows with guiformat.
  2. Check your SD Windows, Linux, OS X.
    • If you get any errors replace the SD
    • If you get no errors copy your files back on the SD.
I am thinking of just the normal New 3DS actually because it can fit inside my old DS case I believe. Other than size and battery life, are there any cons to the New 3DS that the New 3DS xl does not have?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

3ds.guide is the best site to hack your 3ds/2ds. WIth your flashcarts you should be able to (they have an option for using card to hack your console). It's super easy and you would want cia files to install for 3ds. .rom files for 3ds aren't useful unless you have an emulator on pc. You also should have a fairly large micro sd card I'd go with 128gb or 256 for a 3ds
Why such a large SD card? Are 3DS games that huge? I have a 2 GB one on my Wii for all my emulators and I have room to spare, and I don't think I will be getting a copy of every 3DS game on the market, so is it worth it to get a 128 GB card? Or should I drop down to 64?

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am thinking of just the normal New 3DS actually because it can fit inside my old DS case I believe. Other than size and battery life, are there any cons to the New 3DS that the New 3DS xl does not have?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Why such a large SD card? Are 3DS games that huge? I have a 2 GB one on my Wii for all my emulators and I have room to spare, and I don't think I will be getting a copy of every 3DS game on the market, so is it worth it to get a 128 GB card? Or should I drop down to 64?
Your choice. some games. mostly the pokemon series. have reaches sizes of 3.6gb a game. Retro games are small. but modern ones are a lot bigger in data size.

MassiR77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Your choice. some games. mostly the pokemon series. have reaches sizes of 3.6gb a game. Retro games are small. but modern ones are a lot bigger in data size.
Ok, I have no interest in Pokemon games whatsoever, but I do plan on getting most 1st party Mario titles. Kirby probably, DK Country, maybe a few more.

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I have no interest in Pokemon games whatsoever, but I do plan on getting most 1st party Mario titles. Kirby probably, DK Country, maybe a few more.
I'd get a 128gb card then. You'll have lots of space for roms and other titles like 3ds games

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The 3DS Mario games are not really big. Donkey Kong Country Returns is a little over 2GB… again: SD size depends on your preferences. Given that 64GB or 128GB SDs have become quite cheap and have no downsides, there is not much reason to chose a smaller one. The 4GB that comes with the console is practically useless if you plan to install bigger games (one or two at a time).

The non-XL variant of the new 3DS series is mostly identical to the bigger one. Same quality, same features. It is just not as widespread which might cause trouble in the future with replacement parts (KTR-003 battery for example – although a CTR-003 battery and some padding can be used).

Reactions: Deleted-236924

sansnumen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Like its bigger XL counterpart, it is modular and so is easy to fix. Just beware that if you ever need to repair your system, the screws really blow. I stripped a few repairing my New 3DS XL.

As for cons, maybe runs slightly hotter than it's XL counterpart. Parts are harder to get because the New 3DS was only released in North America in limited runs.

I prefer the XL myself because it's more comfortable in the hands and repair parts are easier to obtain. And Nintendo sells XL refurbs for $120.

MassiR77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok, two other things then:
Should I get a used 3ds?
Should I get a microSD with an SD adapter as it seems to be the cheaper option for 128 GB? Or do I stick with getting a normal SD?

sansnumen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, two other things then:
Should I get a used 3ds?
Should I get a microSD with an SD adapter as it seems to be the cheaper option for 128 GB? Or do I stick with getting a normal SD?

Used is fine. I don't think you can find New Nintendo 3DS systems at a decent price (i.e. below $150) brand new. For better homebrew performance, New Nintendo 3DS is the way to go.

SD card wise, for New Nintendo 3DS you need a microsd card. Get a decent brand at whatever capacity you wish. Just make sure you have a screwdriver around to pop the back off of the New 3DS.

HelpTheWretched

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SD card wise, for New Nintendo 3DS you need a microsd card. Get a decent brand at whatever capacity you wish. Just make sure you have a screwdriver around to pop the back off of the New 3DS.

Worth noting (for OP) that once you get your microSD set up, you can manage it wirelessly from the System Settings app, so you won't have to unscrew and open the N3DS each time.

sansnumen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Worth noting (for OP) that once you get your microSD set up, you can manage it wirelessly from the System Settings app, so you won't have to unscrew and open the N3DS each time.

That functionally has been deprecated in Windows 10. The easier way is to install Filezilla onto a PC, and ftpd homebrew on 3DS. Then you just launch ftpd on 3DS, and FTP into the 3DS using Filezilla.

Reactions: HelpTheWretched

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Monster Hunter games are also pretty big.
I would say 256GB is overkill anyway, 128GB is plenty for most people. I found 64 to be just a bit too small for comfort.
And yes the n3DS fits inside a DS Lite pouch. It is a little bit of a tighter squeeze though.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

MassiR77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Monster Hunter games are also pretty big.
I would say 256GB is overkill anyway, 128GB is plenty for most people. I found 64 to be just a bit too small for comfort.
And yes the n3DS fits inside a DS Lite pouch. It is a little bit of a tighter squeeze though.
Ya, wasn't on planning on getting monster hunter either, but since microsd's are much cheaper than normal SD's I might get the 128 GB just to be safe.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended