do I even need rednand?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by bob808, Nov 8, 2016.

1. bob808
    OP

bob808 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 8, 2009
    I have installed rednand and its working ok... I have also installed sysconfig and a number of titles to the USB HDD from within rednand.

I can see these titles in my sysnand also, but cant run them. I assume this is because I installed whilst in rednand and they appear as the nands are linked? If I had installed the titles to USB from the sysnand I assume they would work from there? Is this correct.

If so - is there any benefit to me using rednand at all or should I start again and reload everything to the sysnand and make it simpler to turn on the machine and run stuff? I think with rednand I can also get DLC to work if I was to grab any but otherwise all titles I have grabbed (using FunKiiU) should still install ok to the HDD and be playable on sysnand?

Or do I still need rednand to run these titles?

Thanks

bob

2. Kohmei

Kohmei GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 17, 2013
    United States
    If all you want is to remove sig checks, you don't need rednand. Legit tickets can be installed and the games can be run without issue from sysnand. Illegitimate tickets and DLC also do not require rednand, just just require iosuhax. Titles installed with hacked tickets will simply not boot until you run iosuhax, then they will work just fine. I haven't tested DLC yet but I'm about to

cvskid, zeldaism and Subtle Demise like this.
  3. xXDungeon_CrawlerXx

xXDungeon_CrawlerXx GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 29, 2015
    Liverpool
    but if you install a game with a hacked ticket on SysNAND, the SysNAND will be bricked, or not?
    Otherwise I could Install my Unity Demo on SysNAND because it has a legit Ticket.

4. Kohmei

Feb 17, 2013
    United States
    As long as you're sure the title isn't a system title, you won't brick. And you need to install with iosuhax using wupserver's install_title command

Subtle Demise likes this.
  5. bob808
    OP

bob808 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 8, 2009
    ok thanks - all titles are regular game titles, downloaded with FunKiiU using the titleid from 'that' site. I believe all of these should be ok on sysnand as a USB install using wupinstaller y mod?

6. Irastris

Irastris Just another fag with a suggestive avatar

May 3, 2015
    United States
    This is very interesting to find out! Question, does this require a specific fork of iosuhax, or can you just use smealum's original repository?
    Does this require installing to USB, or could you even install to the internal system memory?

7. Kohmei

Feb 17, 2013
    United States
    I'm either using FIX94's fork of iosuhax or maschell's and I don't remember which.. I think all of them have signature checks patched out since that's really the primary feature. install_title installs to NAND actually, where you can move it to USB later. I think there's another fork that allows specifying USB or NAND to begin with but it's not the fork I have

I wish there weren't so many iosuhax forks actually :unsure:

KiiWii, zeldaism and Subtle Demise like this.
  8. Irastris

May 3, 2015
    United States
    Do you know of any place where I can learn more about how wupclient works? The GUI that's available doesn't work me. It connects to the Wii U, automatically navigates to the /vol/storage_mlc01 directory, then doesn't let me do anything else as the directory listing is blank.

9. Kohmei

Feb 17, 2013
    United States
    Assuming you have python, these are commands you can use without the GUI. I'm not sure if there's a place you can learn more about it per se

Mounting optical disc, dumping optical disc ticket, and unmounting disc:
    Code:
    mount_odd_tickets()
    w.dldir("/vol/storage_odd_tickets")
    unmount_odd_tickets()

Dumping eShop tickets (might be broken..):
    Code:
    w.dldir("/vol/system_slc/rights/ticket/apps/")

Installing titles from SD (assuming install files are in SD:/install/):
    Code:
    install_title("/install/")

There are general fs commands that you can figure out by opening wupclient.py and looking at the code

Last edited by Kohmei, Nov 8, 2016
    zeldaism and Subtle Demise like this.
  10. Irastris

May 3, 2015
    United States
    I assume in order to use these commands, you have to write your own python script that imports the wupclient?

11. Kohmei

Feb 17, 2013
    United States
    No, there is a wupclient.py script that is included with every iosuhax fork

12. Irastris

May 3, 2015
    United States
    Is it supposed to look like this if it successfully connected to the WiiU? (I have edited the script to connect to my Wii U's IP.)
    [​IMG]

13. Kohmei

Feb 17, 2013
    United States
    Yes. You will get another 0x0 if the title installs successfully. It has no progress indicator like wupinstaller does, you just have to wait.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Ok so here's what happens with DLC
    After running iosuhax, you can install it for any game that we have the DLC encrypted title key for. FunKiiU will create a fake ticket and you use that to install the files
    The game and DLC work fine assuming iosuhax has been run (ie IOSU is exploited and sigs are patched)
    If, after powering off the system, and without running iosuhax again, you try to run the game, it will tell you you have corrupted DLC and need to delete it (it won't force you to delete it)
    After running iosuhax again, the game and DLC work again

In conclusion, rednand isn't really necessary unless you want an extra layer of protection (..from?)
    With coldboothax we will have perpetual sig checks patched and be able to run any software/DLC at boot time with no additional exploit or rednand necessary

MattKimura and Subtle Demise like this.
  14. wolf-snake

wolf-snake GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 5, 2009
    Mexico
    Huh that's pretty nice. I would have to try this sometime. I just need to get my hands on a fw with signature patched.

15. Kohmei

Feb 17, 2013
    United States
    Can confirm Wii Sports Club and Smash 4 DLC install fine like this

Also wupserver's title_install function isn't even necessary. Wupinstaller installs DLC and eShop content just fine after iosuhax has been run

naddel81 likes this.
  16. wolf-snake

Feb 5, 2009
    Mexico
    So we can run iosuhax with signatures patched, go to the browser again, run Wupinstaller, install DLC or Eshop content as it was the brazilian method and it would run fine as long as you have iosuhax running?

17. Kohmei

Feb 17, 2013
    United States
    That's right
    iosuhax in this case is acting like the old kernel exploit except for IOSU instead of PPC kernel

zeldaism likes this.
  18. tabnk

tabnk Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 20, 2016
    United States
    Interesting:)

19. wolf-snake

Feb 5, 2009
    Mexico
    Ok i could do it right now but i don't remember if Fix iosuhax had the signatures patched out. That's the one i used for Wuphax and took me a while to compile because of crappy pc issues and i'm not looking forward to compile another lol.

20. Kohmei

Feb 17, 2013
    United States
    Every iosuhax fork should have signature patches. If you have a working fw.img that's all you should need. You'll know if it doesn't work if wupinstaller refuses to install