District 9

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Jaems, Aug 20, 2009.

Aug 20, 2009

District 9 by Jaems at 3:13 PM (1,344 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. Jaems
    OP

Member Jaems GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I saw this film on Sunday and thought it was absolutely brilliant. One of the best films I've seen this year, and the best I've seen at the cinema this year.
    It had an original concept, original story, and a well-written script.
    The special effects and action were spectacular, stunning cinematography, and the rising suspense to the shocking conclusion was immensly satisfying.
    Also, the leading man, Sharlto Copley who's acting in virtually nothing else, was fantastic. Very convincing and realistic acting.

It seems Peter Jackson brought us another visually pleasing and thrilling film, and this is proof that Neill Blomkamp is very well capable of directing a Halo film.

2. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    I heard that it is really good too. I might see it tomorrow.

3. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I really want to see this movie and you really confirmed it. Peter Jackson did an absolutely brilliant job on Lord of the Rings, although King Kong was painfully slow and terrible (hell, I liked the original black and white better). This looks really good though, I'll have to get around to seeing it.

4. Nonuser

Newcomer Nonuser Advanced Member

United States
    i rly want to see this [​IMG]

5. callmebob

Member callmebob The Grandpa of Awe!

Germany
    Watched this, and really liked it, but didn´t care for the ending too much.

This is one of those that truly deserves a sequel, but I wouldn´t be at all surprised if we never see one.

6. Jaems
    OP

Member Jaems GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I found the ending quite satisfying, and don't think this needs a sequel.
    It's fine and dandy how it ended.

7. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    I thought the ending wrapped it up quite nicely.

8. azoreseuropa

Member azoreseuropa GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    It is not WOW.. A great movie I ever seen, no. It is good movie. None of the movies are the best. Some are good and some are bad.. Thats all.

9. TraumaHoundNDS

Member TraumaHoundNDS GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I'm with Jaems, D9 is an amazing film and instantly earned a spot on my all-time faves list. I hope a sequel is never done, it ends perfectly and certainly would only suffer from sequel-itis which would only serve to sully the greatness of this movie.

The directing and cinematography are beautifully done, I loved the different types of video footage we're treated to from the corporate video to the grainy security cams to the POV cams on the MNU officers. The "prawns" came across as more believable than even Gollum was (attributed to the talents of not only WETA but the actor who stood in on-set for the interactive scenes.) Being set in Johannesburg gave it a more visceral feel that only lent even further credibility that what we were watching was footage of something that had actually happened (something that would've had a more "Alien Nation" feel had the aliens set down in Los Angeles or some other major metropolitan city.) As far as I was concerned, for the 2 1/2 hours I was in that theater, everything we saw in the movie actually happened: mission accomplished by the filmmaker as far as I'm concerned.

If you haven't yet check out the original short film that was the basis for the feature-length version: Alive in Joberg.

10. jumpman17

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    I wouldn't rule a sequel out. I think it made like, 13 million above it's budget just on opening weekend.

11. deathfisaro

Member deathfisaro Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan

Canada
    Gonna watch it tomorrow with my girlfriend.

Isn't Johannesburg one of the cities that's hosting the 2010 World Cup matches? Hope the aliens didn't ruin it too much [​IMG]

12. OSW

Australia
    Saw it, and enjoyed it. It wasn't amazing, but a good fun watch and value for money.

I think I'm becoming an expert at guessing movie plots, because some things at the start just gave it away for me lol.

13. deathfisaro

Member deathfisaro Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan

Canada
    Saw it this afternoon.
    Not gonna spoil anything, even with a spoiler tag because people WILL open it anyway.

Was pretty enjoyable, my girlfriend hated people being blown to bits.
    I didn't like them either, it created a barrier to really get indulged in the movie's world. Which is a shame because the camerawork and several scenes made it feel like it's actually happening.
    Powerful alien weaponry, yes, I get it. They showed enough to get the message through, no need to use exploding watermelons.

The story was quite predictable, I don't think there was any part that's meant to be surprising.

I really liked the ending. Don't think there needs to be a sequel, but if there is gonna be one we know what the title will be =P

14. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    The movie was great. It was refreshing to see a film that didn't take any obvious choices. It was alot of fun and I dont think it needs a sequel.

15. PettingZoo

Member PettingZoo yesss

Australia
    I saw this film a week after is came out (In Australia) and yeah, I was pretty blown away with it. In agreement with Jaems and TraumaHound, I really wouldn't like to see a sequel that much as the ending itself was really satisfying.

On another note, can I buy some catfood off anyone??

16. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    I watched it last night, its a good film and not what I expected. I must say though its not as amazing as many people are making out, but its still decent. The ending was ok but it left a lot of loose ends in my opinion, and wasn't wrapped up nicely as many people are saying too. I would like to see a sequel to tie up the many loose ends it left, and to answer a lot of the questions that remained unanswered in the end.

17. DeviousTom

Member DeviousTom GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Yeah I thought it was a pretty sweet movie and although the ending was pretty good, I wouldn't mind a nice sequel. Did anyone else laugh when the word "Prawns" (Pr0nz) was used to refer to the aliens, cause I sure did [​IMG] .

18. OSW

Australia
    lol, it was funny but my fun was stolen as i had already heard the term in a review. damn spoilers!